Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

sherijohnson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I thought this topic was on the forum previously but my search didn't bring anything up.

I just got my eyes checked this week and preparing for ordering some new glasses that I intend to wear for more than just reading........... I know I would like to be able to wear them while shooting and I don't recall if I have ever worn glasses while shooting or not.

Has it been an issue for any of you? If so, how do you address it? Just looking for some valuable feedback.

I don't normally feel the need to wear glasses to compose the shot, but after I make an exposure and need to look at the LCD screen, I have a hard time seeing what I am looking at without corrective eye wear. If all I ever did was shoot in studio, then this wouldn't be much of an issue since I could shoot tethered... but for events and on location sessions, you don't have that luxury.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

No problem for me- I shoot with my glasses on all the time, so I can't say how's life without'em
If I were to point a drawback- glasses need cleaning few times a shooting day. That's it- just go for it.
It would be interesting to hear from somebody that has experience with glasses and contact lenses though.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

thanks for the feedback, that means I would definitely need to carry a cleaning cloth, which is good to note

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:53 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I was only able to switch to glasses from contacts once we switched to Nikon. Something about the distance from the viewfinder to the screen in the Nikons made it possible when it never seemed to work on any Canon bodies I tried. Check your particular camera to see if it is comfortable.

- trr

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

very interesting....

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

TRReichman wrote:
I was only able to switch to glasses from contacts once we switched to Nikon. Something about the distance from the viewfinder to the screen in the Nikons made it possible when it never seemed to work on any Canon bodies I tried. Check your particular camera to see if it is comfortable.

- trr

The spec for that is the "eyepoint"

For me, I have trouble wearing glasses. I always either wear my contacts, or take my glasses off and set the diopter. (I am nearsighted though, sounds like you might be farsighted)

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM
gcbermejo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I wear glasses full time and use Nikons.

I can shoot with glasses on but I tend to have the view finder set for my eye via the diopter and usually just push my glasses up on to my forehead like people do with sunglasses.

More than one way to skin a cat end of the day, what ever you find most comfortable.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I went to glasses with bifocal about 2 years ago. No issues after a few days. Easy to see into the view finder at the correct location of the glasses and then use the lower area for back of camera viewing. You do smudge the glasses with the viewfinder so a cleaning cloth is good. Make sure to get reflection free lens. Just looks better and it allows eye contact when talking with clients. A good selling point that could be lost with reflections. Plus won't drive other photographers crazy when shooting you.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

gcbermejo wrote:
I wear glasses full time and use Nikons.

I can shoot with glasses on but I tend to have the view finder set for my eye via the diopter and usually just push my glasses up on to my forehead like people do with sunglasses.

More than one way to skin a cat end of the day, what ever you find most comfortable.

I saw someone else doing this recently when they were shooting..... which is causing me to consider the frame design of the glasses. I learned really quickly that you can't easily put your glasses on top of your head if you have long hair and your glasses snag in your hair

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:43 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

jefferies1 wrote:
I went to glasses with bifocal about 2 years ago. No issues after a few days. Easy to see into the view finder at the correct location of the glasses and then use the lower area for back of camera viewing. You do smudge the glasses with the viewfinder so a cleaning cloth is good. Make sure to get reflection free lens. Just looks better and it allows eye contact when talking with clients. A good selling point that could be lost with reflections. Plus won't drive other photographers crazy when shooting you.

already planning for the AR, been using it for years, won't go without it

no one has mentioned glasses getting scratched from the camera view finder, that was another concern of mine. I do keep the rubber eye cups on my cameras, I guess it might be good to clean them up to make sure they don't have oils or makeup on them.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

SloPhoto wrote:
The spec for that is the "eyepoint"

For me, I have trouble wearing glasses. I always either wear my contacts, or take my glasses off and set the diopter. (I am nearsighted though, sounds like you might be farsighted)

you would be correct, my main vision problem is being farsighted

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:47 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

No rubber on my eyepiece and I've been shooting with glasses on for the past year. My contacts ran out (and I had to stop playing hockey, where I normally wore contacts) so I've just been using my glasses. No problems with scratching as I keep the eyepiece away from my eye by a little bit. Only drawback I've dealt with is my glasses getting knocked around while pulling something over my head such as a camera strap/shoulder bag/sweater, and also when its raining outside and I have to shoot in it.

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:39 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

thanks for the reminder about the rain, it has been a long time since I have worn glasses everywhere I go

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:54 AM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I shoot with glasses and have never had a problem.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:18 AM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I tried it a few times ( and maybe I'm just gross haha) but I found in the summer that with the heat and the glasses in the proximity to the camera, breathing etc that I was a foggy sweaty glop. Running makeup etc. I just go with contacts now!

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:34 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I've always worn glasses as a photographer, never been a problem for me.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:53 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I am feeling encouraged

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:20 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

One thing I recommend is taking camera with you when picking glasses. Certain glasses get pushed off your face by the camera or are too curved. For me it means relatively flat lenses/frames with thick nose piece and thick ear piece so glasses stay put. With thinner glasses in the past they always moved around and I had to put them on my head when shooting

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:32 AM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I was wearing eyeglasses many years. Last year I got a visus eye operation, I donīt need glasses any more. If you can afford it, itīs amazing.

The M9, with glasses? Forget it. With DSLR glasses are fine, but be careful to order small glasses, when you can touch the upper rim of the viewfinder with your eyebrow (not the glasses) then you will be fine. Nikon and Canon is fine, but I used to remove the viewfinder-cover from the Canon, much better that way.

So generally, no problem. Oh, one, when you come in from a cold outside into a warm room, your glasses will fog, but your camera also, so not limiting (0:

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:24 AM
Lleuallen

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wearing Eye Glasses While Shooting

I have two problems with glasses. In the summer I sweat and it drips from my forehead to the inside of the glasses. I press my eye closely and with force to the eyepiece: this rubs my brow against the inside of the glasses and smudges them badly. Sure you can clean the glasses, but every 5 minutes is a bit much. It got to be a real pain. I solved the issue by getting glasses that are appropriate for camera use rather than style. I use a goggle style that has a foam strip across the top. This prevents the sweat from running down and does not allow the brow to come into contact with the lenses. Shooting experience is much better now.

The glasses are a progressive type (seamless bifocal) so that I have both near and far vision. I can not see clearly without the glasses so they are a necessity. Contacts are a no go with me.

Larry

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password