Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Headshot Question

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Headshot Question

I have a potential gig shooting some head shots for a woman who is an opera singer, and I have a question I don't think has been asked here in the past. She is blind. Now, usually, one of the main factors to consider in portraits and head shots is the eyes. But how do you handle someone who's eyes are not the main focus? And may in fact need to be de-emphasized to avoid an unflattering image? Anyone have any experience with this type of situation? If so, how did you handle it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:38 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Headshot Question

Does she normally wear sun glasses?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Headshot Question

andyz wrote:
Does she normally wear sun glasses?

As far as I know, no. But that's a good question for me to ask. I am assuming she will want the shots sans glasses.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Headshot Question

A challenging question, Greg.
Formal portraiture isn't part of my repertoire- but here's a thought: discuss the matter briefly with the woman. Don't ask from the view that you're feeling your way through it, but from the view that she might have preferences- likes or dislikes.
As to the larger question about the eyes: there is the old saw that "The eyes are the window to the soul." Maybe yes or maybe no.
But to me a better indicator of someone's personality is the expression on their mouth; it often REALLY tells the world what they're like.
Just $.02 .
Charlie

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Headshot Question

gregfountain wrote:
As far as I know, no. But that's a good question for me to ask. I am assuming she will want the shots sans glasses.

Better find out for sure about that. If everyone always sees her wearing glasses.... ?
Charlie

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Headshot Question

This is a great question. I would love to have this assignment. I agree with Charlie; I would discuss it directly with her. I think it may also depend on how the photos are to be used. If it's a thumbnail for a printed program, I might opt for a more straightforward approach. But if it's for publicity, or a magazine profile, it presents an opportunity to really present who she is as a performer and a blind person. Thoughtful, interpretive portraiture is a real skill. It requires the photographer to really understand the person and the story she and you want to tell. So you need to know two things: what's the purpose of the shot, and what story does she want to tell (if any) with these images.

For inspiration, I'd take a look at some photographers who are very, very good at this sort of thing: Joe McNally, David Hobby, Greg Heisler, and Joey L (Joey Lawrence) come easily to mind.

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:03 PM

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Headshot Question

No need for her to be looking at the camera. Being an opera singer, create some dramatic, artistic "portraits" where she is looking down and away. We see it all the time in portraiture work. "Opera" is classical, emotional, not "headshotty".....

Rich dark background with rim lighting to separate. Have her wear dark colors or black.

Just my opinion.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:37 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Headshot Question

Thanks for all the input! This gives me a lot to consider, but I like the idea of having her looking away from the camera, perhaps as she would look as she performs. I'll post one if she's willing and I get the job, and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity!

Greg

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM
marcofree

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Headshot Question

Speak with your potential client about her point of view. After all, this will be her photograph and she should have input into how she is portrayed. I'm sure she will understand your concerns and have ideas on how best to portray her image.

http://wedding-videography.info

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:13 PM
jdiperna
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Headshot Question

Check out any portrait or album cover for Andrea Bocelli.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Headshot Question

Talk with her and work through some different looks.

If it were me, I'd want to still try to get a "head shot" but I'd have her close her eyes, and get a softer posed head shot; something that looks thoughtful and tender, yet still serves as a more traditional head shot.

Treat it more as a tender portrait but in the framing of a head shot.

Cheers,
Sid

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password