Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

nguyencs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

There was a bride here that went around asking photographers to reduce their price to several hundred because she was able to booked a high end venue. Of course, this would be a great opportunity for any photographer's portfolio.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

misty23 wrote:
And you book enough jobs at your higher rates to live a comfortable life on, or is it just a part time endeavor for you ? I'm always interested in hearing from photographer who charge higher rates on what they make per year. Im not being sarcastic or anything, it's just that in my region, there's so much competition and everyone is always undercutting everyone else, if you don't "deal", you dont get the work. If you stick to your high prices, you starve.

Now if it's ONLY a part time gig, you can hold out for your price and
...Show more

this have been discussed many times, but you cannot starve if you shoot high end weddings. At worst case you have too much time in your hands in which you can do whatever you want to do and people with so many skills required to be high end wedding photographers rarely have issue to sell their excessive time to get minimum moneys they need to live appropriately.
The only way to starve is to shoot cheap weddings. You end up with lot of work, not enough moneys and no time to do any way up. Undercutting is also no problem in art market. Because you can be undercut only if you are replaceable.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:42 PM
awad
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

+1 kittyk. we raised our prices and while having less work, we've made more money. i'm bored more though.

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:46 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Kittyk wrote:
Undercutting is also no problem in art market. Because you can be undercut only if you are replaceable.

Hey, stranger.

By "art market" you mean the high-end weddings?

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:27 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

awad wrote:
we raised our prices and while having less work, we've made more money. i'm bored more though

Boredom is a luxury.

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:29 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

nguyencs wrote:
There was a bride here that went around asking photographers to reduce their price to several hundred because she was able to booked a high end venue.

I had one groom from the rich class use that on me: "Could you lower your price because the venue will look real nice in your portfolio?"
Rich Boy brought in a 20-piece tuxedoed orchestra for the reception!

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:38 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

I've been binging on episodes of Say Yes to the Dress for the last couple of days and it's amazing to me that these girls will walk in, say they have a $1500 budget for a dress and then when they discover that the dress they love is $5k... just figure out a way to come up with the money! Sometimes they'll say "oh well I'll just cut other parts of the wedding"... like what? The photography? haha... Hope you like the crappy pictures of your $5k dress! My favorite that I've personally seen is when they cut chairs and made the guests stand for the ceremony.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

D. Diggler wrote:
Hey, stranger.

By "art market" you mean the high-end weddings?

art market is relationship between customers who value/desire artistic photographs and art photographers who can provide such photographs. being it wedding or portraiture.
On this planet we have people paying 3 zeros for one awesome portrait and people saying that 200 for 16h wedding is too much. It have nothing to do with value of wedding photography, it have to do with value of one's art.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

misty23 wrote:
And you book enough jobs at your higher rates to live a comfortable life on, or is it just a part time endeavor for you ? I'm always interested in hearing from photographer who charge higher rates on what they make per year. Im not being sarcastic or anything, it's just that in my region, there's so much competition and everyone is always undercutting everyone else, if you don't "deal", you dont get the work. If you stick to your high prices, you starve.

Now if it's ONLY a part time gig, you can hold out for your price and
...Show more

If people are booking based on your (low) rates alone, it's a losing proposition.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:12 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Nikon_14 wrote:
One of my "Greatest Hits":

Name: Jessica
Email: ____
Timeframe? [time]
Coverage: Photos only
Flash: [flash]
Details: Hi!

I saw your ad on _____. I am writing in regards to finding a photographer for my wedding on Ju__ __, 2013 at the Cathedral of St Cheapo the Lowballer from 9:30am to 2:30pm. A short brunch reception will follow after the ceremony about 2 blocks from the Cathedral.

Your photography is beautiful! Unfortunately my fiance and I cannot afford a lot and we were looking for a photographer willing to work with our budget and possibly a videographer as well, if you do could recommend anyone.
...Show more

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Inku Yo wrote:
If people are booking based on your (low) rates alone, it's a losing proposition.

But if I'm bringing in enough income to live on and have the lifestyle that works for me, what's wrong with that ? Sure we all want to be the latest and greatest and get paid lots of money, but the truth is, we all can't be that. Someone has to work the middle to low end wedding market based on our skill set.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:15 AM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Kittyk wrote:
this have been discussed many times, but you cannot starve if you shoot high end weddings. At worst case you have too much time in your hands in which you can do whatever you want to do and people with so many skills required to be high end wedding photographers rarely have issue to sell their excessive time to get minimum moneys they need to live appropriately.
The only way to starve is to shoot cheap weddings. You end up with lot of work, not enough moneys and no time to do any way up. Undercutting is also no problem in
...Show more

Not everyone can be a high end wedding shooter. What percentage of photographers would YOU say are high end wedding photographers ? What's wrong with servicing the mid to low end wedding client ? If one is bringing in enough money to live off of, what's wrong with that ?

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:18 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Not everyone can be a high end wedding shooter. What percentage of photographers would YOU say are high end wedding photographers ? What's wrong with servicing the mid to low end wedding client ? If one is bringing in enough money to live off of, what's wrong with that ?

Not a damn thing.

You will find people on this forum encouraging you (sometimes in unnecessarily curt language) to develop your business over time and improve your profitability. It's good to aspire. But there's nothing wrong with serving budget brides an honest product.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:09 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

misty23 wrote:

Yeah, nothing wrong with that... it just seemed like you were frustrated in another post. Seemed like you wanted to be "high end" but couldn't get there due to the "undercutters."

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:20 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Inku Yo wrote:
Yeah, nothing wrong with that... it just seemed like you were frustrated in another post. Seemed like you wanted to be "high end" but couldn't get there due to the "undercutters."

Oh no...lol....no way would I ever be high end....i dont have the skills or talent for that...im happy servicing the low to mid range bride......along with shooting family portraits, grads and some business and commercial, i can bring in enough revenue to get by on.....wish I could be high end....but im a realist and know where my ducks lie.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:50 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

I guess it's a difference in personality but I just can't imagine being satisfied with not having the skills or talent to be better than I am. Am I a major player among the "best"? Hell no. But do I believe that I can get there if I apply myself? Hell yes! I'm capable of being better tomorrow than I am today... I think I would be doing my clients a disservice to just be content with mediocrity.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:38 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

amonline wrote:
What's your doozy?

"The videographer charged us a fortune so there's not much left in the budget for photo."

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

misty23 wrote:
Oh no...lol....no way would I ever be high end....i dont have the skills or talent for that...im happy servicing the low to mid range bride......along with shooting family portraits, grads and some business and commercial, i can bring in enough revenue to get by on.....wish I could be high end....but im a realist and know where my ducks lie.

I think it's great that you understand who you are and where your talents are, but that shouldn't prevent you from trying to achieve higher goals. When I started shooting weddings, I didn't say, "I can't wait to be a middle-of-the-road wedding photographer." I knew when I got into this, I wanted to be among the best of the best. I still have a long way to go, but if you reach for the stars, you'll land on the moon.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:27 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

ckhagen wrote:
I've been binging on episodes of Say Yes to the Dress for the last couple of days and it's amazing to me that these girls will walk in, say they have a $1500 budget for a dress and then when they discover that the dress they love is $5k... just figure out a way to come up with the money!

Thank you! I've been pointing that out to photographers for some time when they moan about their inquiries being price shoppers.

The thing to note on Say Yes To The Dress is just how the store sales staff purposefully orchestrate the sale to achieve that outcome. The dresses don't really sell themselves.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:13 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Inku Yo wrote:
I think it's great that you understand who you are and where your talents are, but that shouldn't prevent you from trying to achieve higher goals. When I started shooting weddings, I didn't say, "I can't wait to be a middle-of-the-road wedding photographer." I knew when I got into this, I wanted to be among the best of the best. I still have a long way to go, but if you reach for the stars, you'll land on the moon.

I totally understand what you're saying. But i compare it to a sports figure. We train, we learn, we strive, but in the end, we can only attain a certain level of success due to our limitations. We can't all be Kobe Bryant. There are always the bench players. I'm a bench player. Of course I wanted to be a star, but after many years realized "that ain't happening". So I try to be the best that I can with what I have.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:24 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password