Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Seriously. What the hell?

Request for coverage of a wedding party sized at 13+, with 40+ guests, two locations 45 minutes apart with a schedule that spans at least 6+ hours MINIMUM, with full images on disk, etc. etc..... but don't want to pay over $1,000.

WTF

So, I know others are getting hit with 2013 inquiries right now. What's your doozy?

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

The problem isn't the inquiry, the problem is that they'll actually get it from someone. And the other problem is that they think it might be you.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:05 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

None that bad yet...actually, no one is calling! We don't seem to have any web presence at the moment : (

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:06 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Tony Hoffer wrote:
The problem isn't the inquiry, the problem is that they'll actually get it from someone. And the other problem is that they think it might be you.

Trust me, she no longer thinks it'll be me.

And yes, the sad thing is she WILL get it from someone else.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:09 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

use a fake name, burn a disc of jpegs at the end of the day. request cash day of.

best idea ever.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:10 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Impersonating a non-professional...are you therefore a professional impersonator or a non-professional impersonator?

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:33 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Just a few thoughts from outside:

Obviously I have no idea of the background story here which could alter my thoughts. Also in some markets this would be pretty good.

I don't see this as ridiculous. Ridiculous wold be $200.00 and a tuna sandwich.

This is a small wedding.

They may be offering the most they can and trying to get the best they can for their money. Don't we all do that?

Your right they are not going to be able to get you or Tony, but form's pricing is right in line with the "ridiculous inquire". :-)

Again depending on area, date etc I think they could get a good solid photographer to do this.

Not everyone can afford the very best.

Sam

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

What's ridiculous is when a client writes ANY OF US with such a request when pricing is blatantly available. It doesn't matter who here gets this particular inquiry. It happens at all price levels.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

actually all our recent 2013 inquiries are looking better then almost all what we booked until now (we are full booked already). Did people really expected end of the world so the best weddings planing was postponed after xmass? Usually i get completely opposite - earlier they book, better wedding / couple it is...

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

No End of world? Didn't you see what happened to Sydney?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

looks shopped

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Sam,

I used to think $1,000 for shooting a wedding was reasonable. Then I read "Best Business Practices for Photographers" by John Harrington. Now I know better.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Best-Business-Practices-for-Photographers-Second-Edition-John-Harrington/e/9781435454293?r=1&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-TextBook_InStock_26To75-_-Q000000633-_-9781435454293&cm_mmca2=pla

FLSTCSAM wrote:
Also in some markets this would be pretty good.

I don't see this as ridiculous. Ridiculous wold be $200.00 and a tuna sandwich.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:31 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Tell her you charge a $1000 for an associate showing up and they can buy images later if they wish.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:35 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

"Tell her - she's dreaming."

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:37 AM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

louloulou wrote:
"Tell her - she's dreaming."

Tell her, nicely, that your fee and her budget are not a good match, and wish her luck with her wedding. Why do we need to insult people? Is it possible, just possible, that she barely has $1,000 for wedding photography?

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Perhaps spend a little time trying to sell yourself and what your worth and pursuade the potential client into spending more money on something so important as photography. She took the time to call, so she most likely likes your style of work. Try a little salesmanship. After all, as a professional photographer, salesmanship is more important then photographic skill when it comes to earning a good living

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:24 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

eNoBlog wrote:
Tell her, nicely, that your fee and her budget are not a good match, and wish her luck with her wedding. Why do we need to insult people? Is it possible, just possible, that she barely has $1,000 for wedding photography?

Exactly!!

Sam

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

Um, people, I never asked for advice.

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:23 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

amonline wrote:
Um, people, I never asked for advice.

But, advice is what we go the most of!!

I just read about a photographer netting $100 for a wedding shoot after travel and equipment rental expenses,

and the B&G complained about the results!

OMG!

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:35 PM
kwhaley29
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ridiculous Inquiries....

FLSTCSAM wrote:
They may be offering the most they can and trying to get the best they can for their money. Don't we all do that?

+1

If you think that photographers don't do this, just list a piece of gear on this site and watch the lowball offers roll in. . Or look through the threads for complaints about the cost of new equipment. "How dare Canon/Nikon charge this much money, it's ridiculous!"

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password