Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC

gurtch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC

Hi all. We are still not back in our home after Sandy ( no power yet). We are living at a friend's home, and I am forced to use an ancient notebook, 2 gb RAM, Windows XP. My files are huge (Pentax 645D, and D800E), and the notebook chokes trying to run these files through Photoshop. I can buy a new notebook with 8 gb RAM for about $650. I know I will have to deactivate PS on the old notebook. My CS 5 was an upgrade from CS3. Will I be able to install CS 5 upgrade if the earlier version is not on the new notebook? I have the disks for earlier versions at home, but they are also upgrades. The new PCs are running Windows 8. Any issues with 8 and PS? I also just bought Lightroom 4 ( not installed yet), but intend to install it on the new PC. I really hate changing PCs, as I have a bunch of down loaded plug ins, etc, that will need to be re- down load. Lastly: At home I use a calibrated and profiled monitor, using Spyder Pro, and my prints match my monitor. I will probably have to wait until I return home for serious tweaks before printing. My Spyder Pro DOES have a feature for notebooks....is this a waste of time? I know where profiles are installed on Win 7, but have no clue where they end up in 8. I may check the retailer if I can get Win 7 64 bit in lieu of Win 8 .
Thanks for the help.
Dave in NJ

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:46 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC

I dont think you'll need to have CS3 installed but during the CS5 install, it will probably ask you for the CS3 serial number.

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:52 PM
gurtch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC

thank you...that I can do.
Dave

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:15 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC

howardm4 wrote:
I dont think you'll need to have CS3 installed but during the CS5 install, it will probably ask you for the CS3 serial number.

I know when I moved to a new laptop this fall and installed CS5 (which was an upgrade from CS4, which upgraded CS3, which upgraded an original CS2), all I needed was the CS4 serial number.

So I suspect you just need the serial number of the version you last upgraded from.

Also not sure if you need to deactivate the version on the old laptop. Doesn't Adobe still let you have two active installs? I'm pretty sure I have two laptops running CS5 right now....

Mark

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:55 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC

howardm4 wrote:

msalvetti wrote:
I know when I moved to a new laptop this fall and installed CS5 (which was an upgrade from CS4, which upgraded CS3, which upgraded an original CS2), all I needed was the CS4 serial number.

So I suspect you just need the serial number of the version you last upgraded from.

Also not sure if you need to deactivate the version on the old laptop. Doesn't Adobe still let you have two active installs? I'm pretty sure I have two laptops running CS5 right now....

Mark

Adobe's policy is fairly liberal compared to some software. You only need the serial number of an eligible previous version to install an upgrade and you can have two activated installs of any particular major version (but are only supposed to run one copy at a time). So you could have installed and activated two copies of CS3 and CS5 if you wanted to. The upgrade process will not uninstall or deactivate previous versions.

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password