New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

mirkoc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

Is there something like auto EV, or auto M mode, where you set the exposure and then what ever setting you change (F, shutter speed, ISO), there is auto correction with one of other two?

For example, you choose 1/160, f4, and ISO 800 to be the right exposure. Now, when you change to f2.8, ISO automatically changes to 400 or shutter speed changes to 1/320, whatever you choose, or both. You maintain the same exposure level, but are quickly tuned to the different type of action or depth of field requirements.

Would you care for it?

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

mirkoc wrote:
Is there something...

P

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:44 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

P doesn't react to changes in aperture or shutter speed.

I am not aware of such a universal half-automation mode. To be honest, by using auto-ISO and A mode, I get what I want. I presume S mode fans feel the same. I am surprised that you want to have both available in one mode. How is it supposed to know which of the two "other" controls you want to change? For example, when moving aperture, should the camera change ISO or shutter speed? If you have to choose this, wouldn't you also want to change your mind and sometimes have to dive into a menu anyway? I don't see that it gains much, if anything, over the simple modes.

Dec 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

carstenw wrote:
.. To be honest, by using auto-ISO and A mode ...

This is what I do.

I just wish all cameras let you choose a min SS for this purpose, sadly many do not. I just got a 6d and Canon finally allows you to set a minimum SS with auto-ISO and this makes a huge difference in its usability.

Dec 29, 2012 at 05:14 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

carstenw wrote:
How is it supposed to know which of the two "other" controls you want to change? For example, when moving aperture, should the camera change ISO or shutter speed?

You set it before.

If you have to choose this, wouldn't you also want to change your mind and sometimes have to dive into a menu anyway?

No.

I don't see that it gains much, if anything, over the simple modes.

I guess you don't/didn't need it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:17 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

michael49 wrote:
I just got a 6d and Canon finally allows you to set a minimum SS with auto-ISO and this makes a huge difference in its usability.

I guess this partly resolves the issue.

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

mirkoc wrote:
No.

Okay, so you want to, for example, set aperture and have the camera always change shutter speed: A. Change aperture and have the camera change ISO: M + auto-ISO. And so on. The only thing missing is to have a mode where you can change A and have it change S, OR change S and have it change A. I don't see the advantage, to be honest, as this implies a dramatic change in shooting style, and probably requires other changes to the settings such as drive mode, ISO mode, etc. And it would complicate the camera with yet another option.

I think some P modes might allow you to change the A/S combination the camera chooses with the thumbwheel, like Bif hinted, in case that helps.

Under what circumstances do you desire this functionality, and what would you want to choose between specifically?

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:52 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

carstenw wrote:
Under what circumstances do you desire this functionality, and what would you want to choose between specifically?

It is quite simple.You don't want the camera to mess with your set exposure level, or in other words, you want the camera maintain your set exposure level no matter what you do.

For example. You are in manual mode and suddenly you want deeper dof. You close the aperture but don't want the SS to change. Here should auto ISO compensate for the aperture difference.

This would work only with lenses that have the aperture set by the camera or if you turn the aperture ring on the lens and camera recognize it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

carstenw wrote:
P doesn't react to changes in aperture or shutter speed.

What? I guess my camera is busted then cuz that's what mine does. I turn the dial and the SS compensates to match the aperture or you can look at it like the aperture compensates to match the SS - either. Switch on or off Auto ISO with that and you pretty much have what the OP is describing.

Any one of the three exposure triangle elements can be modified and the others will compensate.

What am I missing here?

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

I have wanted this feature for a long time as well, but it seems that only Pentax cameras have it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

I guess I'm not understanding... Oh well...

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

Bifurcator wrote:
I guess I'm not understanding... Oh well...

I want to lock exposure and still be able to alter the relation between aperture, shutter speed and ISO. In this case the camera would not use metering at all. Just keep the same exposure so that if I change aperture, shutter speed (or ISO) will automatically change as well.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:27 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

There should be EV level setting as if you spot measured the gray card at certain light level. Similar to a light meter, you just set it, not read it.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:13 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

I'd love this capability. I find a lot of outdoor scenes difficult to meter when the camera is in A mode with matrix metering. I usually end up shooting manual and chimping to get what I'm looking for. But I agree it would be nice to then have an auto-shift with a fixed set EV so I didn't have to compensate all adjustments in manual when I find the exposure I like.

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:31 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

On the A900 it was pretty easy to do that. (maybe except iso), use the AE-lock in toggle mode and then it would lock the exposure to whatever you meter. Then shifting either of the wheels gives an equivalent exposure. The feature is called program shift in sony land. If I remember correctly this even worked in manual mode, the exposure lock locked the exposure and then you shifted the other settings.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:31 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

With my canon 1d mrk 4 in P mode I can change aperture and shutter speed is compensated to keep the EV and vice verse, this is for a set ISO value. If I set ISO to Auto then ISO is changed when I change the aperture and shutter speed remains constant or aperture is changed when I change the ISO.

I guess that is as close as you can get with only two dials.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:45 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

How about this, three dials:

A: set or auto
S: set or auto
ISO: set or auto

done, any combination can be achieved.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:53 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Auto EV or auto M mode?

^That would be nice.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:26 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.