Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recovering Photos

ryanhart72

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Recovering Photos

I took about 300 shots over Christmas with my 5DII and found some time to work with them Thursday night. Plugged the CF card into the card reader, and into the iMac and began the import to Lightroom. About halfway through, I get the "Always eject the card prior to removal" message. Now, the iMac will not recognize the card at all and neither will the 5DII. It appears the card is toast, but I would like to get the images off it - sons first Christmas. The file recovery programs you can buy online wont work since the computer will not read the card. I appreciate any suggestions and I am in the Atlanta area if you know of a good local photography shop that may be able to help.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dec 29, 2012 at 04:18 PM
davekone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Recovering Photos

Do not use the card, just stop inserting it into anything.

If you really think the card has physically failed I recommend:
http://www.dataretrieval.com/

They recovered most of the images on a failed CF card for a friend.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:31 AM
ryanhart72

p.1 #3 · Recovering Photos

Thanks for the suggestion. My local photo shop could not mount the card or retrieve any images from it. I will give them a call and see what they think.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:09 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Recovering Photos

Prosoft Engineering makes software that will discover unmountable drives.

Did you use Disk Utility? It is in you r Utilities folder and should allow you to recognize the drive.

Do not erase it. You may be able to Repair the chip.

Prosoft will not only recognize it but, help you recover the files on it. The disk is called Data Rescue III.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tived
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Recovering Photos

I am not trying to be cheesy, but have you tried a PC or a Linux box?

Sandisk has some software that usually will do the trick, if that fails ZAR is good, can recover images, several levels deep (as in several deletes later!!!), the later is windows only i think

Very sorry to hear that you have had this happen - my heart goes out to you, as I have been there myself.

All the best for the new year

Henrik

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:22 AM
ryanhart72

p.1 #6 · Recovering Photos

I didnt realize that disk utility would keep a history of drives that had been connect to the iMac, will certainly give it a try tonight.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:46 PM
ryanhart72

p.1 #7 · Recovering Photos

I will check ZAR out and am thinking about calling SanDisk for their suggestions as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password