New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

RedGhecko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

Which camera body do you guys think is better for outdoor photography and macro of especially reptiles and amphibians?

Dec 29, 2012 at 05:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

I don't think you can go wrong with either system. Your technique, camera technology, and selection of lenses will probably be of greater importance than the particular brand you're using. If you have deep pockets, then a Canon 1DX, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro Photo lens, and EF 600/4 L IS II or EF 800/5.6 L IS would probably do for relatively small things that are very close and very far away. There's lots of choices for things in between.

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:08 AM
dld542004
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:23 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

It's more about the lens than the body.

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:40 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

It's more about the lens than the body.

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

jcolwell is right on the money. I think you'll have to get more specific (cost, what you already have, how you plan on shooting these things, etc) for us to help choose, otherwise jcolwell's suggestion is very good. Canon, IMHO, has the lead in high-end teles and macros right now. Those Sony sensors are quite nice in the Nikon bodies, but for your uses, the difference between Canon and Nikon/Sony are small.

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:54 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

It's more about the shooter than the brand

Dec 29, 2012 at 06:54 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

jcolwell wrote:
I don't think you can go wrong with either system. Your technique, camera technology, and selection of lenses will probably be of greater importance than the particular brand you're using. If you have deep pockets, then a Canon 1DX, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro Photo lens, and EF 600/4 L IS II or EF 800/5.6 L IS would probably do for relatively small things that are very close and very far away. There's lots of choices for things in between.

This

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:43 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

First thing you need to do, is start shooting. Pick a system and go with it. Right now, you don't even know your own needs, how can we help? One brand of camera isn't better than another, its just 'different'.

On that note, I personally use Nikon. I like the camera selection and lens selection for my needs, but you won't ever hear me parading around saying its better than Canon/Sony/ect. It's just my personal preference to use that brand.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

BenV wrote:
First thing you need to do, is start shooting. Pick a system and go with it. Right now, you don't even know your own needs, how can we help? One brand of camera isn't better than another, its just 'different'.

On that note, I personally use Nikon. I like the camera selection and lens selection for my needs, but you won't ever hear me parading around saying its better than Canon/Sony/ect. It's just my personal preference to use that brand.

This is also very true and same with what TrenchMonkey said. I originally read "macro" and automatically thought of the Canon MPE, which I do not believe there is a Nikon equivalent, but upon further thought, "reptiles and amphibians", there isn't as much a need for high magnification (5x lifesize of the MPE). I do know that Canon has a 180mm 3.4 or something macro lens, not sure about the Nikon side. Either way, people love the Sigma 150mm and Tamron 180mm which are available to both systems anyways.

I believe OP'll have to be more specific as to which Nikon and Canon body rather than just the brands. If it was between the 1DIV vs a D3200, the answer is obvious. If it was between a 5D3 vs a D800.... well we're not gonna start that up here/again. I do believe both have their uses and are more similar than different anyways. I believe an old adage was "get the camera that feels most comfortable in the hand [and menu system comes intuitive to you]."

I do believe budget is a really important factor though, not to mention "acceptable" IQ. I personally think it's awesome when people mount a 600mm Nikon onto a J1 or V1. I think the image quality is just dandy, but I know true wildlife shooters probably disagree.

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:04 PM
RedGhecko

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

Thanks for help, appreciate it!

Regards

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:20 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

trenchmonkey wrote:
It's more about the shooter than the brand

Best answer yet

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

You are asking this on the Canon forum. Not likely to swing towards Nikon. Just sayin.....

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:41 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

PCKit wrote:
You are asking this on the Canon forum. Not likely to swing towards Nikon. Just sayin.....

No this is a general forum ... Fm has plenty of Nikon users

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:54 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

It's not what you shoot with...It's what you shoot.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:40 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

I don't think either one is better. They both are great and the end results will depend on you and not the camera. You just need to find which one feels the best to you.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:20 AM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

The only way to get a good answer to your question is for you to be more specific. There may be a better camera/lens combination for a specific use.
For general use, it is not the arrow, it is the shooter who makes the difference.
I have seen 30 dollar cameras turn out photos I wish I had taken. Sometimes I want to drop my thousand dollars investment in the garbage.
If you want to shoot wildlife, get a camera with fast focus, that works well in poor light and the best long lens you can afford. IMO 400mm is the shortest lens you might want. For the first time user, a 400 variable might be good although a fixed will certainly give you better photos IQ wise.
Generally speaking you will be better off investing in good lenses than high dollar cameras.
Get the best you can afford and be the shooter.
I gotta go, stupid negibhor just showed me a great photo of an eagle he shot with his 50 dollar stupid, camera. stupid camera, dumb neighbor, I hate photography.
Best to you.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

Well "Wildlife and Macro" is about as specific as it gets IMO. Either camera can do macro equally well. The Olympus 38mm f/2.8 is same or better quality than the MPE. And there are other bellows lenses with the same sort of qualities at same high magnifications for about the same price ($600 - $900). Very few people who have gone around the block a few times seeking the ultimate macro lens would disagree I think.

So I'm guessing the over 3:1 votes for Canon have to do with one or more of the specific Canon model's AF and tracking performance. At least I can't think of another reason for the poll to be in this state.

I sure would like to hear those who voted Canon explain why they did so.

Myself, I totally don't think it matters as I don't think there is an AF system nor an AE for that matter, currently in existence that's any good for wildlife - nor macro actually, come to think of it. Both those IMO are areas where manual focus and manual exposure really cut the cake! Still, I'd like to read what others have to say and why they voted the way they did (Nikon or Canon). So far the discussion doesn't match the poll results.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

I didn't vote.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon or Canon for wildlife

I voted Nikon. But only because I like the sound of their name. "Nikon" heh, sounds so cool. Well, and that the D800 have a nice sensor for capturing detail like fur or cropping into things like when trying to get the largest magnification from a macro shot onto one's monitor.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.