New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

espressogeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

Cassario , I appreciate the effort and the samples but if you've never shot with the Zeiss then I would withhold judgement. I just think its odd that everyone keeps saying its better but I haven't seen anyone put the two side by side.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:15 PM
clmusic
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

espressogeek wrote:
Cassario , I appreciate the effort and the samples but if you've never shot with the Zeiss then I would withhold judgement. I just think its odd that everyone keeps saying its better but I haven't seen anyone put the two side by side.

In the Canon forum, there is a member posting a few pictures comparing the Zeiss 35 f1.4 vs the Sigma if you are interested. For me, all reviews are references, choosing a lens is very subjective. I sold all my Nikon and Sigma primes for Zeiss lenses and never regret. I have owned/own Zeiss 21 f2.8, 25 (f2.8/f2), 35 (f2/f1.4), 50 f2, 100 f2 and I always satisfy with them. If I have extra money, I will buy the Sigma, just for AF

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

jhinkey wrote:
Any idea how this lens does regarding:
- Flare
- Ghosting
- Sharpness near vs. far
- Corner sharpness/coma at or near wide open (at infinity focus)
- Color rendition

Us landscape photographers want to know!

Hey John!
Here's someone's flickr (not mine) with the Sig35 on a landscape shot. I think the distance rendering looks pretty damn sharp!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/briandoore/8327140983/in/photostream

and btw, that was shot at 2.8 so the near foreground is a bit OOF. I'm guessing on an f/8-f/11 shot, this lens would get deadly sharp. Also pay close attention to how it handles strong backlighting.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

Red G8R wrote:
Unfortunate, but for the price difference I wouldn't buy the Nikon version. It will be my first non-Nikon also.
Luckily Sigma comes with a 10 year warranty here in Canada.

I just notice this sigma lens only has one year warranty in the U.S, I thought it had 4 years warranty like sigma EX lenses.

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:02 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

What Mine came with a sticker you put on the 1yr warranty that makes it 4
Includes: Perfect Hood (Bayonet), Front & Rear Lens Caps, Pouch Case, 1 Year International Warranty plus 3 Year Sigma U.S.A. Extended Warranty (Total Warranty is 4 Years from Date of Purchase)

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

trenchmonkey wrote:
What Mine came with a sticker you put on the 1yr warranty that makes it 4
Includes: Perfect Hood (Bayonet), Front & Rear Lens Caps, Pouch Case, 1 Year International Warranty plus 3 Year Sigma U.S.A. Extended Warranty (Total Warranty is 4 Years from Date of Purchase)

good to know , coz BH website states the lens comes with 1 year warranty.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898836-REG/Sigma_340306_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:28 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

Lots of errors in their "listing" No USB dock nor software included. They'll fix it.
Looks like Adorama took the time and got it right.

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Cassario
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

jhinkey wrote:
Wow - thanks for doing all this. I look forward to seeing your results.
I immediately recognized what you did in post - some obviously did not!

- John

No problem at all man, Im glad you mentioned it as I completely forgot to add these results. I did some testing with it on New Years Day on the beach but the sun wouldnt come out and it was difficult to test the sharpness at a far distance so I will do some more testing this week and add a landscape testing section to the review, even though a lot of those tests shouldnt matter landscape or not. I appreciate you actually using the review for the reasons I put it together, so no problem at all adding these results. I'll send you a message as well. Happy New Year!

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Cassario
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

espressogeek wrote:

I didnt make any judgement in my review, I simply quoted DXOMark and their judgement, and Im pretty sure they have used the Zeiss

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:47 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

espressogeek wrote:
I really like the idea of this lens but all the "its better than zeiss" is a load of bull. Ok, so maybe its sharper but has anyone done a side by side test? I lost trust in DXOmark when they reported bad results on the 21/2.8 Distagon and that lens is fantastic.

Dxo mark, Lenstip and Mark CIcala from Lens Rental seem to reach similar conclusions. You have to understand that many review places might not be as Zeiss'o'philes as some Zeiss owners.

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:36 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

Cassario wrote:
I didnt make any judgement in my review, I simply quoted DXOMark and their judgement, and Im pretty sure they have used the Zeiss

It's $300 cheaper, has autofocus, a larger aperture, and similiar (if not better DxO marks). It's better.

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Cassario
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

BenV wrote:
It's $300 cheaper, has autofocus, a larger aperture, and similiar (if not better DxO marks). It's better.

I agree, I just didnt want to offend any die hard Zeiss fanboys.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:52 AM
samfowler
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

I just received my Sigma lens today. Its sure built way better than how they use to build them. I like it a lot and its built great in my opinion. Here is a shot taken with my Canon 6D and its F1.4 - its a keeper lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samuelfowler/8338522031/

Enjoy and thanks for reading.

chitownsam.com

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:49 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

I'm not a Zeiss fanboy if that is what is being implied. But DXO mark is wrong about the performance of more than one Zeiss lens so I don't really trust them. I'm very curious about the Sigma but I don't believe it is the better performing lens, at least not yet. I'm sure its great though.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:07 PM
SLOtography

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The New Sigma 35mm F1.4 - My Review

The shots are amazing - I'm happy to see a review featuring beautiful images instead of sharpness scales. Thanks for taking the time...now I'm considering trading in my Canon 35 prime more than ever!

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.