Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2012 · contax-e-mount af adapter

VaughnA

Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · contax-e-mount af adapter

I received my adapter this afternoon after a long wait.

Initial Impressions:

1: Beautifully built. I was quite surprised at the build quality, fit and finish. Compared to my other adapters (cheapies) it's very well build with a nice glossy chrome like finish
2: Focus is slow but it works fairly well on my 45 2.0 and 90 2.8 as to be expected. In fairly bright sunlight it seems to work fairly well up to F8 and even F11. In normal light I think that 5.6 is about as slow as you can reliably go, but it does well in indoor room light up to 5.6 with pretty good accuracy. You can easily tell when it misses as it doesn't do a second round of focusing.
3: Just forget the 28 2.8, even in bright light it's not reliable.
4: It's fairly loud but only slightly more than my old Pentax K10 with screw drive focusing. And speed is about the same as my K10 as well. Takes two long focus steps then zones in with a couple more tweaks.
5: I had it hang once where it seemed to reset the camera, this was with the 28 when it was seemingly confused. It never had a problem with the 45 and 90.
6: The manual focus screw seems to work very well. It will take time to get used to it but it works well. As others have mentioned an adapter with just the wheel would be a great system.
7: Very Important: I usually shoot Aperture Priority. Make sure to set the aperture IN THE CAMERA to the widest aperture or you will have exposure problems. It looks like since the camera senses an auto-af lens it needs to think it knows the aperture. So if you set it to f8 for example it thinks that it's going to be able to stop down to F8 but it can't so it causes exposure errors.
Will I keep it? I'm not sure, I don't use AF much anyway but it is nice to have when you need it or for handing off the camera. Overall it's about what I expected in operation and above what I expected in build quality..

May 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
slungu
• • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Ok, I got my adapter ant tried it with my 90/2.8 but got a problem : it searches for focus and then goes to infinity, even if the subject that I want in focus is 3m away from me. I also noticed that when mounted the lens will indicate one stop more that actual stop on the lens. Any idea what I am doing wrong ? Focused by hand was good, no complaint there.

Regards, Stefan

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:10 PM
inglis
• •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Do you set the camera aperture at 2.8? This has been one issue, to set the camera at the maximum aperture of the lens and then to set the lens aperature for what you want

Jul 21, 2013 at 09:53 PM
slungu
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Aperture in the cam was set to 2.8, that was not the problem, but I am still wondering about the lens position, even if I can not think about another way to put the lens on the adapter.

Jul 22, 2013 at 05:32 AM
rioni
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · contax-e-mount af adapter

I am selling mine if anyone is interested.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Too bad about the 28mm F2.8, it's the best lens in the system IMO.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:09 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · contax-e-mount af adapter

FlyPenFly wrote:
Too bad about the 28mm F2.8, it's the best lens in the system IMO.

for anyone that's interested in using that lens with improved manual focus, it seems there is a pretty economical way to reproduce the conversion i did on mine: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1159122/7#11727022

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:14 PM
huebeez

p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Hmm... I got a malware warning in Google Chrome from that FM link in sebboh's post

Malware Notice

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · contax-e-mount af adapter

huebeez wrote:
Hmm... I got a malware warning in Google Chrome from that FM link in sebboh's post

Malware Notice

yeah, apparently the some of the images on that page that zoneV posted are from a domain that google chrome recognizes as a source of malware. google seems to have issues with "http://www.4photos.de".

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password