Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · contax-e-mount af adapter

xbarcelo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · contax-e-mount af adapter

morpheus2891 wrote:
What browser are you using. I tried adding it to my cart but it kept showing an empty cart :-/ (using safari and chrome)

First I tried using Safari and it didn't work. Then I used Firefox and, voilà, it did the trick.

Xavier

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:52 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.3 #2 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Thanks! That did it. Looks like I got # 29, so they're about half way through their stock. Kinda funny that safari is the problems since they list it as one of the supported browsers. Oops.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · contax-e-mount af adapter

I Just bought #50, so if you want one, buy it now...

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.3 #4 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Anybody want a LNIB G 35-70mm Silver, I have one available.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:47 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #5 · contax-e-mount af adapter

artur5 wrote:
While this adapter is a remarkable achievement, let me be the devil's advocate and see if it's also useful..

- Biogon G 21/28 A legend but, again, performing well only on cameras tuned for RF wide lenses. The G 21/2.8 is almost unusable on a NEX-7 and not much better on the others NEXs

Nah, the 21 is not (almost) unusable. Far from it. I know, corners are not strong and some cant stand purple fringing (probably rightfully) although it can be removed w/o effort. Last thing doesn't bother me too much as I do enough PP to suit my taste anyways. That lens (overall) has shown the highest resolution I have ever seen on the NEX 5N, and it that sense competing with some of the best lenses I've used on the 5D2 such as the ZE21 or CY100/2 (which belong to the elite, all aspects including corners). And note that the pixel density of the 5D2 is far less than a 5N which literally means amazing resolution on the G21's behalf.

Here's a huge spam of G21 favs, purple or not. Sry for littering the thread, but I really like this lens despite the shortcomings it excels in some things I like to do. And if this AF unit performs, it would breach a shortcoming the G's have when used wideopen for people/close quarters. I find MF hard to keep up there. Majority of these examples are the opposite, just set it on F/5.6 and do a double magnification with the touch screen and you'll be there in a second with a 5N.

DSC02049 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01714 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01718 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01756 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01762 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01808 1280 III by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01750 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC02335 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

DSC01971 1280 (view large) by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:27 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.3 #6 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Hey, Willhem, you're just an evil man! You made me buy the lens, but showing those images again will make more people succumb. But then, it really is a fantastic lens. Let me contribute with some images (not at the same level, but nonetheless they make it obvious that it is an outstanding lens in the hands of a not so outstanding photographer):

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:51 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #7 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Forget the level theory Xavier, awesome stuff where the resolution comes throught too!

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:06 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · contax-e-mount af adapter

fantastic shots both of you!

also, with regard to the g45 verses zm 50/2, there is a small focal length difference that might matter to some and the mtfs show the g45 to have superior resolution over most of the aps-c frame (not that the zm is any slouch). i believe the same is true between the g28 and zm28.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:17 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.3 #9 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Thanks! About the g45 and g28, I think that Derek has shown many, many times how amazing those two are.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:35 PM
old yorker
• •
p.3 #10 · contax-e-mount af adapter

I wish you lot would admit that your G lenses are terrible, flood the market with them and get the 21mm back down to a reasonable price so I can get one for my G2.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

VaughnA

p.3 #11 · contax-e-mount af adapter

I'm waiting on my first two G lenses to arrive next week. I went ahead and ordered the adapter #42. I may end up ordering the 45F2 soon to go with the 90 & 28. After seeing the results of the fantastic folks around here I figured I'd just go ahead and do it. I sold my last DSLR lens this morning and I'm using the funds this evening. I'm wondering if my hobby is photography or juggling lens funds.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:50 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.3 #12 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Welcome to the juggling lens funds photography club!

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:52 AM
inglis
• •
p.3 #13 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Xavier,
the landscape from above is incredible in terms of geometry and detail.
For me the G 90 and the 35-70 at 70mm are difficult to focus at times.
I'm #44.

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:17 AM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #14 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Seems like every time I consider picking up a G21, Wilhelm shows some of his pictures and the price jumps 15%.

Seriously though, I'd love to see a direct comparison between the G21 and the Sigma 19. I can say for sure that the Sigma doesn't have the contrast of the G21, but I'd be curious how resolution compares across most of the frame (I'm pretty sure the Sigma will be sharper in the corners)

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:31 AM
inglis
• •
p.3 #15 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Wilhelm, I have so marveled at your shots with the G21, especially the narrow building
shot and the buildings along the coast--every time I see them! So thanks again for posting!
Does anyone have a sense of whether the G 21 could work on a full frame Nex
or how quickly the technology might allow for this? Since Sony
also wants pancakes to work, perhaps they are aiming at this. The next version of the Nex
7 should give an indication.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:25 PM
artur5
• •
p.3 #16 · contax-e-mount af adapter

xbarcelo wrote:
I don't agree with you assessment. Firstly, you're taking the point of view of someone who doesn't have any G lenses. Now, if that's the case, possibly there are better alternatives (but not at the prices you used to get the Contax G lenses). If you actually have any G lenses, as I do, I feel it's a way of allowing them a new lease of life, as they say, by turning them again into af lenses, as they were intended in the first place. I actually like the planars (both of them. I'd go as far as saying that
...Show more

Well, I was being the devil's advocate yesterday, remember ?..
Seriously, I'not wasn't bashing the G line; only considering that -if you don't have G lenses- there're other alternatives more convenient in most cases.
Concerning the Biogons, by 'unusable' I mean performing below the real possibilities of the lens because of the corner issues with the NEXs. The 5N with a G21 or G28 isn't a match for the Ricoh GXR whith a ZM21 or ZM28. Color shift is correctable wiht some hassle. Smearing isn't. The NEX-7 is the worst offender in this aspect.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:45 PM
serhan_
• •
p.3 #17 · contax-e-mount af adapter

I saw 2 photos w/ g21 in VG900 pool in flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/vg900/pool/) but they were not full size:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jyhuangl/8449600174/in/pool-vg900
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jyhuangl/8481416221/in/pool-vg900

inglis wrote:
Does anyone have a sense of whether the G 21 could work on a full frame Nex
or how quickly the technology might allow for this? Since Sony
also wants pancakes to work, perhaps they are aiming at this. The next version of the Nex
7 should give an indication.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:54 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #18 · contax-e-mount af adapter

Thanks seb, xavier, alwang, inglis and all nice people around here for kind words!

@artur5, yeah I just had to react as that particular lens gives me so much pleasure . Resolution is epic. But smearing can be nasty for sure. I just find myself in a lot of situations where DOF or water/skies takes care of that. Another factor is that I really like the resilience of the 5N files, they can take a lot before cracking up, in key respects they are more sturdy than a Canon 5D2 RAW file. Speed of lenses and pro handling is where the 5N & G's have no chance.

But where this AF adapter would make a difference is where corner smearing/fringing etc is really secondary. As I wrote in previous post it is when using these lenses at F/2-2.8 or close. Then corners usually matters zero. None of these lenses are fast, just semi fast. Some are not happy about the bokehs. But personally I think I am too fond of the (micro-) contrast to bother, and in conjunction with the Sony sensor the raw material created is a joy to work with. I have the series 21/28/45 and 90 so I will check what FM people reports hands-on for sure.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · contax-e-mount af adapter

alwang wrote:
Seriously though, I'd love to see a direct comparison between the G21 and the Sigma 19. I can say for sure that the Sigma doesn't have the contrast of the G21, but I'd be curious how resolution compares across most of the frame (I'm pretty sure the Sigma will be sharper in the corners)

i'd guess it would be pretty similar to g28 versus sigma 30mm, but with a more noticeable difference in bite in the center. when i compared the those two on the NEX-7 i was surprised just how much sharper the contax looked in the center even though i doubt there was a big resolution difference. in the corners the sigmarit smoked the contax, but i'll still choose the contax for 99% of my shooting.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:29 PM
inglis
• •
p.3 #20 · contax-e-mount af adapter

The 60 are sold!
Deo Tech meant what they said,
"Out of Stock
DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter"

http://www.mxcamera.com/DEO/product_info.php?products_id=50

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:53 AM
1       2