Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · DX lens question

grog13
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DX lens question

Former Canon shooter here getting a D7000 to use mostly for landscape. For a standard zoom I'll get either the Nikon 16-85, a Tamron 17-50 non-VC or a Sigma 17-50. Question for those who've used these lenses: Purely from an IQ standpoint (without regard to FL range, speed or stabilization), which lens do you think is better, mainly with regard to contrast and across-the-frame sharpness? I've also heard the Sigma had focusing problems with the D7000 - true?
Thanks for any insight.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:40 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DX lens question

I had a 17-50 tammy, non-motorized if i recall correctly...it was decent, but my 17-55 is sharper by far...also had an 18-50 2.8 sigma more recently as a backup, and it wasnt even good enough to pull backup duty...sharpness was ok, just terrible af, and the zoom direction is reverse of how nikon should be...super annoying...

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:01 AM
shmn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DX lens question

The 16-85 is an excellent lens with fantastic sharpness and contrast. You can find them used for around $450 which is well worth it. Good build quality too.

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DX lens question

I use both the Nikon 17-55 and the Tokina 11-16 v1. Tokina now has a newer motorized version, but I don't think they've changed the optics outside of offering newer coatings on some of the elements. Both are outstanding DX zooms in my opinion.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:30 PM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DX lens question

My 16-85 VR is every bit as sharp as my 17-55 f2.8 Nikkor. It is a great choice for a landscape lens.

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DX lens question

I recently graduated to the 16-85 VR having used the 18-70 for 7 years. As good as the 18-70 is, the 16-85 is even better as a walk around lens. I wanted the additional reach at both ends, but especially the VR since I do a lot of shooting in the woods handheld where DR can go to extremes from shot to shot.

I bought the Nikon new. The build quality is superior to the 18-70, but am expecting to eventually use the warranty since I made use of it on the 18-70 at 4 years/11 months (had it back in a week).

Also the 16-85 focus required some fine tuning which is easy in a D300 (once you can find & follow the instructions). Also, I didn't want to have to deal with the possibility of having to rechip a 3rd party lens when I upgrade to a new body.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password