New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Beverly Guhl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

What do other landscape photographers do to protect against snakes? I started shooting on ranch lands in Texas this year (for myself and for clients), and I was constantly having to watch for snakes. It was so stressful. Tips, advice, clothing and gear suggestions appreciated. I don't want to give up the locations! Thanks!

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Look for kevlar gaiters.

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Oh my. Gaiters. Just looked that up online! Awesome. I also saw an interesting link to testimonials by folks bitten by snakes, but saved thanks to SnakeArmor. Protective clothing sounds good. Thanks!

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

I can vouch for SnakeArmor as well, reliable but not inexpensive stuff.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM
123Focus
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

I guess i can never shoot in texas then. I never thought photography could be this stressful. Be safe out there beverly.

Dec 28, 2012 at 07:01 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

I barely need to use it at all, sorry to scare you off from Texas

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Texas is beautiful, and bites are rare. Snakes are in so many states anyway. I stepped on a snake in Virginia one year, but I was running when it happened, and fortunately I was not bitten. A friend was bitten on the toe by a copperhead one year here in Texas.

This April I was on a ranch with the owner who also likes to shoot. We took 4-wheelers to remote areas where lots of wildflowers were. At one lovely location we stopped and I got off my vehicle and was reaching for my tripod when she said, "Now this is where we really need to be careful because a friend got bit by a rattlesnake right here last year! He stepped off the 4-wheeler right onto the thing!" I then got to hear the horrible details while trying to function and take pics.

I need to figure out what kinds of boots to wear, too. The gaiters and chaps protect the legs and ankles.

Thanks everyone.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

On the plus side, one tends to have multiple hours to get antivenom. But better to avoid getting bit in the first place.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

I think it really depends where you plan to go. In southern Utah this past summer, I avoided walking through areas with relatively dense, low vegetation, especially sage brush, because you really can't see what's coming up. Otherwise, it's probably less dangerous than walking in a busy city. Next year, I'll have a pair of kevlar gaiters, and it'll expand my territory, so to speak.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Well, you just never know where the buggers will be. I live in Phoenix. A friend went out to get into his car. He dropped his keys and bent over to pick them up. A small rattler was in the shade under his car and popped his finger. Kind of ruined my friend's day.

Just keep your eyes open and don't step or reach anywhere you can't see.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

There is careful and there is paranoid. The snakes don't want to be anywhere you are, so if you are reasonably cautious and aware of your surroundings, the chances of getting bitten are indeed rare. I grew up in eastern Colorado and spent a few years in west Texas, playing outside as much as I could. Snakes are fairly hard to find IMHO, and as kids we went looking for them!

All that said, snake boots or similar are not an unwise choice when venturing out into known snake habitat.

Paul

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Plasticphoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Having lived, hunted, and photographed in West Texas all my life, I have seen a million snakes and as a surgeon a million bites. In my experience ,snake boots (http://www.rockyboots.com/snakeproof?mm_campaign=d62669ea9895c8ce1f6232236234fab7&mm_keyword=rocky%20snake%20boots&gclid=CKqnnpLnvbQCFQ_hQgodJ3IAMA) will prevent most accidental bites. Not getting drunk and trying to catch rattle snakes will prevent the rest.

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Plasticphoto wrote:
Not getting drunk and trying to catch rattle snakes will prevent the rest.

First hand experience??

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Plasticphoto wrote:
Having lived, hunted, and photographed in West Texas all my life, I have seen a million snakes and as a surgeon a million bites. In my experience ,snake boots (http://www.rockyboots.com/snakeproof?mm_campaign=d62669ea9895c8ce1f6232236234fab7&mm_keyword=rocky%20snake%20boots&gclid=CKqnnpLnvbQCFQ_hQgodJ3IAMA) will prevent most accidental bites. Not getting drunk and trying to catch rattle snakes will prevent the rest.

Thank you. I am feeling safer already.

I never get drunk, and nobody has to worry about me trying to catch a snake!!!!

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Plasticphoto

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Paulthelefty wrote:
First hand experience??

Most of the snake bites I have treated in the E.R. over the last 20 years have been people trying to catch snakes while intoxicated, about 75% of the six to eight per year that occur in our area.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:52 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Plasticphoto wrote:
Most of the snake bites I have treated in the E.R. over the last 20 years have been people trying to catch snakes while intoxicated, about 75% of the six to eight per year that occur in our area.

Considering that you saw millions of bites that must make you hundred of thousand years old....

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Plasticphoto

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Javier Munoz wrote:
Considering that you saw millions of bites that must make you hundred of thousand years old....

Yea I need to watch what I write, don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

Dec 28, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Guess this thread might be dead by now, but I want to agree with the poster who mentioned the Rocky Snake Boots. I'm on my 2nd pair of them and find them to be comfortable, although I buy the zip ups, because they're better in the swamps-they don't get caught on branches, etc.
I'm in the Everglades and will mention that in Spring I often also wear Snake Chaps. Cottonmouths are agressive.

Wayne

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Bev,

We've got snakes by the thousands here in Southern California, believe it or not. The Santa Monica Mountains are literally crawling with them. I used to jump them on my mountain bike while blazing down the fire roads, and once, I came within an inch of stepping on a baby (we've got both Pacific and Diamondbacks) while shooting some flower shots. Scared the crap out of me. I like the gaiter idea.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:05 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Snakes & landscape shooting in TX

Beverly Guhl wrote:
I started shooting on ranch lands in Texas this year (for myself and for clients), and I was constantly having to watch for snakes.

As a Louisiana boy, I'll offer my best fake drawl and say "Snakes?... sounds like you need to be doin' a different kinda shootin'

To reptile lovers: j/k

Feb 19, 2013 at 08:42 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.