Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

kodakeos wrote:
if its cheap enough, I might be able to pick this up in addition to my 17 TSE.

My 14 is ridiculously sharp - and with ACR profile, i have no issues with distortion.

If anyone has the profile for the 14mm for 5D Mark III, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:20 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I got it from their Samyang's facebook site a while back, but don't see a link to it on there now. Pt lens also has a profile for it-I think that is $25.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:34 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

JohnBrose wrote:
Nikon has a 35 TS so it's kinda odd you say to make something different and then suggest an item that's out there. Manufactures probably make items that exist because those are things that sell. I just hope it's good quality and a resonable cost. I think 24mm is a good focal length because you can stitch images together if you want wider or use on a cropped body if you want more narrow.

The 35mm PC Nikon is shift only.
I agree that 24mm is a good place to start but I would like to see a high quality 35mm T/S next.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:36 AM
artd
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

mcbroomf wrote:
The 35mm PC Nikon is shift only.
I agree that 24mm is a good place to start but I would like to see a high quality 35mm T/S next.

Canon already makes a high quality 35mm T/S. It's called "the 24mmTS-EII-mounted-on-a-crop-factor-body"

Seriously, though...given the prices of T/S lenses and what a new 35 T/S would be likely to cost, I think it makes just as much sense to buy a nice crop factor body to go with a 24 T/S instead as that will give you the same focal length.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:36 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

artd wrote:
Canon already makes a high quality 35mm T/S. It's called "the 24mmTS-EII-mounted-on-a-crop-factor-body"

Seriously, though...given the prices of T/S lenses and what a new 35 T/S would be likely to cost, I think it makes just as much sense to buy a nice crop factor body to go with a 24 T/S instead as that will give you the same focal length.

24 mm on a 1.6 crop sensor body only changes the field of view to that of a 35 mm lens, but does not make it a 35 mm focal length.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:22 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Schneider makes a 35mm TILT/shift if you need that focal length and don't want to use a different sized sensor as was suggested. Lets try to get back on the topic of the Samyang/Rokinon 24mm tilt/shift instead of bringing up all kinds of tangents.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Legion5
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

This lens pretty much has the exact same stats as the NEW 24mm TS-E II from Canon, meaning it should be an exact clone with a lower price.

I wonder if it will be compatible with teleconverters... Canon's version is, which is a huge boon, 35mm TS-E is a great setup.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Image quality wise, I doubt seriously that it is an "exact clone."

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:56 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

If this price is right, this may be tempting one day.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:19 PM
artd
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

retrofocus wrote:
24 mm on a 1.6 crop sensor body only changes the field of view to that of a 35 mm lens, but does not make it a 35 mm focal length.

Retrofocus, I'm not sure if this is just being picky on semantics or if there is a point you wanted to make that I'm missing...?

Legion5 wrote:
This lens pretty much has the exact same stats as the NEW 24mm TS-E II from Canon, meaning it should be an exact clone with a lower price.

Lens stats are quite different from lens optics. Two lenses can have exactly the same stats but very different performance characteristics.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

artd wrote:
Retrofocus, I'm not sure if this is just being picky on semantics or if there is a point you wanted to make that I'm missing...?

Lens stats are quite different from lens optics. Two lenses can have exactly the same stats but very different performance characteristics.

samyang did deliver pretty insane performance with their 14mm though....

of course the T&S will have to have almost zero distortion, can they pull that off and deliver an amazing T&S? we
will see, their 24 1.4 prime doesn't seem to match the canon 24-70 II zoom.

i have a feeling this T&S from them might be pretty awesome though

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Legion5
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

artd wrote:

Yes, but I'm optimistic.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:34 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

It's all pie in the sky until we see the price and performance. Definitely an exciting possibility. Even $1000 would be a lot to pay for something of average quality.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Todd Moon

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

tr1957 wrote:
on automatic apertures still not being added to the Samyang lenses. The manual focus doesn't bother me, but stop down operation is a royal pain!

Is there only one aperture ring? My manual Peleng 8mm fisheye has two. One is a clicky f-stop ring that controls the minimum aperture, and the other is a very loose ring that opens and closes actual the aperture. You open up the lens to compose and then close it all the way to take the shot. It can be done without looking because the f-stop ring literally sets the "stop" for the aperture ring.

I have a feeling you're going to tell me that when you click the aperture ring on a Samyang it immediately closes down the aperture and you have to deal with a dark viewfinder while composing your shots. (Or use LiveView as others have suggested.)

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Todd Moon wrote:
Is there only one aperture ring? My manual Peleng 8mm fisheye has two. One is a clicky f-stop ring that controls the minimum aperture, and the other is a very loose ring that opens and closes actual the aperture. You open up the lens to compose and then close it all the way to take the shot. It can be done without looking because the f-stop ring literally sets the "stop" for the aperture ring.

I have a feeling you're going to tell me that when you click the aperture ring on a Samyang it immediately closes down the aperture
...Show more

I don't get why it's a pain? Not like are running and gunning with a T&S? And you almost need to use LV with T&S anyway. Even with my 14mm it doesn't seem any trickier than using any EF lens.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Todd Moon wrote:

That two-ring system is called "Preset Aperture". It's very old school.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Anything about it's street price

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:31 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Legion5 wrote:

I wonder if it will be compatible with teleconverters... Canon's version is, which is a huge boon, 35mm TS-E is a great setup.

Are you serious about the teleconverter? I've used a 24mm ts-e before and wouldn't think about using a teleconverter with it since I imagine it would rob the IQ. I'd rather just take the image and crop.

I'd also be interested in the price of this lens. Wonder if anyone has an update

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

jcolwell wrote:
That two-ring system is called "Preset Aperture". It's very old school.

Is the Samsung 24 T/S really a preset lens?! I haven't seen them since the 1960s or 70s. It's ridiculous to go through that PITA in this century.

EBH

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:11 PM
TweakMDS
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I occasionally use a Takumar 50mm f/4 macro that's a preset. It's far from ideal, but I prefer it over just an aperture ring. Some sort of lever system on the base of the lens to stop down (near the stop-down preview on earlier Canon bodies) would be a lot better.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:41 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.