Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

killersnowman wrote:
the samyang 14/2.8 is a terrible lens... i returned mine within a day of receiving it. yea its 14mm but at what cost? the distortion is insane (mine was non centered and there was no hope of ever getting a straight line from it), and it was crazy soft....

so lets hope its nothing like the 14/2.8

My 1st copy of the 14 was decentered too.
But the distortion is a given with this lens & understood.
There are distortion correction tools, P/S & PTLens.
I am guessing that correcting such distortion in an UWA is a cost/sharpness tradeoff.
Correcting it cheaply & you lose sharpness. Correcting it w/o losing sharpness, $$$
BTW, my 2nd copy was perfect. Yep QA issues

Dan

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:29 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

RobDickinson wrote:
It is? Damned that why I've been having so poor luck with it!

I returned 12 copies of the zeiss 21mm before I found out that they left out the AF motor out on all copies! Awful lens!

I am cautiously optimistic about this samyang 24mm T&S, some rumors say street price at $799.

Dec 28, 2012 at 08:51 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I hope you're being sarcastic. All Samyang lenses are manual focus and, on top of that, Canon's own 24L T/S is manual only.

The "bazinga" was implied by the smiley face...

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:28 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

"Bazinga" nice somebody watches Big Bang.

As to the manual focus thing..... I knew there was a reason my landscape shots are so mediocre

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:42 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Well if this comes in at a reasonable price then i can see a lot of potential new customers for this lens. Even if it's not as good as the Canon/Nikon equivalent. For a good price to have access tot he functions of this lens then you've gto a great deal there.

I'll certainly look at picking one up pending reviews.

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:14 AM
danb121
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

RobDickinson wrote:
But its manual focus!

I might be wrong but aren't all tilt and shift lenses manual focus? Doh missed your smiley

Sounds exciting especially if the price is right!!

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

You can alway have someone else focus for you and it becomes auto-focus. But generally, that extra person is an expensive accessory.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Man, just checking out a few more Bower 14mm shots on 5D3. Wow, insanely sharp! I think it actually may even be sharper than 24-70 II! Crazy.

Man do I hope they pull off this T&S well.

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:10 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I'm hoping this will be a great lens also. I love my 35 and 14 rokinon, both are very sharp-way better than the Canon lenses I have. My 85 is fine too, but don't like the minimum focus ability and use my canon 85 more. I'm guessing the price will be in the $1000-$1200 range. I'm also guessing it will be out by the summer since their past releases have been delayed by a fair amount of time.

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:24 AM
vscd

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I don't think the price will be lower than $1000 or even @800, first examples arrive @1250 Euro at LINK. As I suppose, this lens will more likely rise to higher prices, more than to lower

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Robin Casady
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I'm also looking forward to this lens. I'll be eager to see how well it does at the edges of the imaging circle (extreme tilt and shift). The manual focus wont be a problem because you need to carefully watch focus in multiple areas when using tilt.

I think the thing that will surprise many will be the manual aperture. It will be like using a view camera. Manually open the aperture to focus and compose. Manually close it down to the desired f/stop. Take the exposure.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:10 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Use live view exp simulation and keep it stopped down to what you require.

Why wouldnt you? You get to see the real DOF too.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

skibum5 wrote:
I returned 12 copies of the zeiss 21mm before I found out that they left out the AF motor out on all copies! Awful lens!

I am cautiously optimistic about this samyang 24mm T&S, some rumors say street price at $799.

Yes both zeiss and samyang use the 'foot focus' system . It's really clever, its variable speed depending on level of fitness and shoes worn . It also can be upgraded to a much smoother 'ring' system where you sit in a chair between the to focus rings . With the super deluxe add on its almost automatic as someone pushes the chair and ring focus units

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:25 PM
ospishus
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Is 'foot zoom' included or does one have to spend more top get that?

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:47 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

At $799 I would probably try it. If it is over $1000 then no way. I hope cooler heads prevail.

If you make your living using the lens then most will spend the $2k for the canon version II because it is one of the best lenses they have. That leaves the tilt-shift curious hobbyists who cannot justify spending that kind of cash on a toy they will use once in a while. $800 would be doable for many but much more than that it is just too much money to spend on features that you can mimic in photoshop... Even if it is close to Canon's sharpness.

Of course this is just my opinion, others will think differently.

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:48 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

if its cheap enough, I might be able to pick this up in addition to my 17 TSE.

My 14 is ridiculously sharp - and with ACR profile, i have no issues with distortion.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I wish that Samsung would make something different, rather than a cheaper copy of what everyone can buy naturally from the OEM. Why not make a 35 TS?

EBH

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:24 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

Nikon has a 35 TS so it's kinda odd you say to make something different and then suggest an item that's out there. Manufactures probably make items that exist because those are things that sell. I just hope it's good quality and a resonable cost. I think 24mm is a good focal length because you can stitch images together if you want wider or use on a cropped body if you want more narrow.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

EB-1 wrote:
I wish that Samsung would make something different, rather than a cheaper copy of what everyone can buy naturally from the OEM. Why not make a 35 TS?

EBH

probably because there is a lot more demand for a 24mm T&S than a 35mm one, more than enough to make up for being one of very few who makes a 35mm T&S I'd guess

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:15 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift set to be released in March!

I just got a response on Rokinon's facebook page that the price is estimated to be about $1000 and getting to dealers late March or in April. He said there should be images of the final lens in a couple weeks-I'm assuming on their facebook site or maybe on the Samyang web site. Hopefully they'll also post some images taken with the lens.

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:57 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password