Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Ni...

Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

So I've taken the plunge and ordered a d800e. Unless it drives me bonkers I plan on keeping it. Really seems to be the camera for me. (shot with canon crop sensors for the last 3 years)

I've already decided that I'll end up with the 14-24. I shoot a lot of wide angle on my crop sensor now and know this will only continue with my d800. (I do a lot of sky shooting -- night time and day time... the 14-24 makes my move to Nikon easier)

That's an expensive lens.

This fact combined with a few other factors: namely compromised quality in zoom corners, need of a macro, and need of a decent portrait lens... leads me to the task of selecting a decent trio of mid-range lenses to round out my initial lineup. Of course these lenses should all work as good landscape lenses as well.

Right now I'm leaning towards this trio: (based upon pouring over data the last month or so)

1) Samyang 35mm 1.4
Manual is fine. Love the speed... supposedly really sharp from all indications. (all reviews are stellar) Distortion is low for the length. Good video lens. Compares very well to Nikon/Canon offerings. Realize Sigma is probably better, but... not making that move now. (maybe if I fall in love with the focal length I'll make the move) Questions: Anybody have any experience with this lens at/near infinity for landscapes? Any reports on quality control issues?

2) 60mm 2.8 G macro.
Supposed to be sharp as a tack. Reportedly does well at (near) infinity distances. Gives me my macro ability. No distortion, so a good pano stitching lens.
Questions: 60 seems like an odd distance... would I be smarter to go with the 50mm 1.8G initially? Good walk around? (just have it stuck in my head that I'll be annoyed with the focal length on FF)

3) 85mm 1.8 G
Really sharp. Good portrait length. Affordable... rivals 85 1.4. Sort of a no brainer.
Questions: Is sample to sample variability an issue with this lens?

Overall

Plus side:
Really like the performance/versatility/value this trio may offer me. Spaced out 25mm apart.

Down side:
I was used to shooting with a canon 11-16 and 15-85.(crop) Two lenses to four is a difference. The 15-85 had image stabilization as well. A good run around lens. (of course it didn't have the IQ, low light or macro capabilities I want) I realize the 24-70 is a very solid quality lens...but it probably comes out as more expensive than the lineup I'm looking at and loses out on the portrait/low light capabilities. I figure my primes will at least match it quality wise.

How annoyed am I going to be switching out lenses every couple minutes to cover the last bits of a beautiful sunset? I guess I'll find out. (because only I can answer this, I guess... which begs the question...why ask the world... ha)

I really like the idea of using primes, and would like for my experiment to work... guess we'll see.

Any opinions, warnings, or words of wisdom are welcomed.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:27 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

The 14-24 is a solid lens.... You will enjoy it! The 85mm f/1.8 is superb.

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:21 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

I think you have a pretty good set of lenses, I have nothing to argue against with the 14-24, the Samyang or the 85. However, I think I would take your 2nd idea and go with the 50 1.8G -- just because on FF 60mm seems a little short for a macro. I think I'd rather have something in the 100mm+ range. From what I've seen the Sigma 150 macro is pretty awesome and that would be my choice.
Paul

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:23 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I think you have a pretty good set of lenses, I have nothing to argue against with the 14-24, the Samyang or the 85. However, I think I would take your 2nd idea and go with the 50 1.8G -- just because on FF 60mm seems a little short for a macro. I think I'd rather have something in the 100mm+ range. From what I've seen the Sigma 150 macro is pretty awesome and that would be my choice.
Paul

Thanks for that.

Actually just read someone say that the 60mm macro wasn't doing so well for them at infinity distances on the d800. (but had done well on other cameras) Back to the drawing board. May do the 50mm afterall. (

I was also thinking I'd end up with the 180mm 2.8 for the odd ball long shot. So maybe the 150mm could serve as both for me.

Economy of lens selection isn't easy when you want primes.

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:35 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

It would be difficult for me to try and shoot all primes, my ultimate goal is going to be something like the 16-35 f/4VR and 70-200 f/4VR with a couple fast primes (which I already have). I've just found that while backpacking the fewer lenses the better -- in fact I once went on a trip with 1 lens.

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:36 AM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

Im in the minority regarding the 14-24. owned one for a few years and due to its size/weight/alarming front element I tended to keep it in the bag more often than not. i sold it and bought samyang 14 2.8 it was a great move for me. its half the size, half the weight and a quarter of the price of nikons' Yes it has some barrel distortion easily corrected in post. I cannot compare apples to apples as i sold the 14-24 before i purchased the 14 samyang but to my eye, the samyang has an equal photographic appeal.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

If you are a WA sucker go for 14-24. There is no equivalent for this lens.

Regarding a set of three primes... my favorite kit for D600 / D800 is:

28/1.8 AF-S
50/1.8 AF-S
85/1.8 AF-S

and as a macro and great telephoto, Sigma 150/2.8 is really great.

Having said that... I'm a big fan of prime lenses.... but lately I purchased the new 70-200/4 and I'm in love for it!

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:12 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

my set up, for when i transfer to the d800 /e=
contax 28mm
contax 50mm
contax 35mm
contax 85mm
14-24mm
zuiko 21mm

i have these lenses and currently use them on my 1dsmk2 /5dmk2. = superb.
unless you NEED af, look in to these classic Zeiss lenses. you will find probably you can have all these lenes for the price of some of the kit listed (excluding 14-24)

simon

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:24 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

If you are already considering MF lenses for your kit definitely check out the excellent older Nikkors. As a dirt cheap alternative to the 60 macro in particular I love my 55/2.8 and older 55/3.5 lenses for their infinity sharpness and excellent focus dampening. They make good choices for doing pano stitches due to extremely low distortion and sharpness.

I wonder if 60 and 85 would be to close together in a 3 lens kit too, I went to 105 with the AF 105/2 and MF 105/2.5, both are excellent but for price/performance/handling I use the MF much more often...

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:29 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

Mishu01 wrote:
Regarding a set of three primes... my favorite kit for D600 / D800 is:

28/1.8 AF-S
50/1.8 AF-S
85/1.8 AF-S

This is what I have been shooting on my D800 the last couple of months.

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

Thanks for the opinions. Good lord...there are just too many lenses to consider. It's fun to shop around and ponder, but after a while it gets to be insane.

PeaktoPeek: I've done the (long) hiking thing and even a crop sensor camera sucks with a light lens. (going up a 14k mountain will do that) Given that, had given up on the thought of d800 for strenuous stuff. Moderate hiking should be OK though. Of course a walk around zoom is good and it's certainly useful when I'm jumping out of a car quick to take a shot of a tornado. I figure by spring I'll end up with some sort of zoom for those situations... but I was really hoping to make it landscaping with primes for the time being.

Parsons:
Have read a tiny bit about contax, seemed highly regarded... didn't know of the Zeiss connection. I may explore this avenue. I'd certainly consider them if they really were at least as sharp/contrasty as the items I've already cited... plus, I'd imagine the manual focus quality is quite nice. (really good for video, which I plan to dabble in)

vpik01:
Yeah, was reading some of the older nikons still do a great job on the d800. Was looking at photos from the 55 2.8 earlier and it does seem quite sharp. Perhaps renders differently... seemed almost crunchy. Although I suppose that was post processing. Also read that the 105 does quite well on the d800. Figure I want one good AF short telephoto though for people, seems the the 85 will do that. (maybe even be a good pano stitcher)

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Ripolini
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

moonpeep wrote:
So I've taken the plunge and ordered a d800e
I've already decided that I'll end up with the 14-24 ...
I really like the idea of using primes, and would like for my experiment to work...
Any opinions, warnings, or words of wisdom are welcomed.

I think you should read carefully this review, if you really mind how to get the maximum quality for landscape work:
http://imagepower.de/IMAGES/imgEQUIPMENT/D800.htm

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:59 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

I used Zeiss lenses for Contax on my Canon as its relatively easy to adapt them to a Canon mount. Unfortunately the process is more difficult in adapting them to Nikon -- and Leitax seems to be the place to look for that process. It almost seems like it would be easier to go ahead and get ZF or ZF.2 lenses. I have always wanted to shoot with a 21mm ZF lens, since that is my most used FL it seems. I could probably get by with the 21mm distagon and the 50 and 85mm lenses I have for a long time. Of course the trinity of 1.8G lenses and the Zeiss would be pretty good too. Hmmmm....
I'm not ready to give up my full frame camera for backpacking, yet I'm still young enough to haul it up into the San Juans and hopefully I'll be able to keep doing it for a few more years.

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:33 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

I personally prefer factors of 2x in my primes if possible.

16mm Fisheye
14-24/2.8 (I have the 17-35/2.8)
50/1.8G
100mm (105/2.5 AIS)
200mm (200/4 AIS)

the 70-200/4 will likely be replacing my 100mm and 200mm AIS primes unless I upgrade to the 100/2 MP Zeiss and a good 180mm f/4 . . .

John

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

I really like the close focusing ability of the 60G compared to any of the 50s so for versatility, it gets a spot in the bag. I know and acknowledge that I'll never use it for 1:1, especially since I'm on the trail.

What I'm usually packing is the 14-24mm and the 45PCE, with the 70-300VR if my shoulders feel like it Getting older and unfit now ugh. The filters and accessories add up too

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:11 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

Picked up the 50mm 1.8 G today. So I've got a lens... now for the camera part. (hopefully that part of the equation is settled tomorrow)

So I've seen some people mention the 70-300 on here. And from what my research has shown me... it's not a bad lens, but for landscape on a d800 it seems as though the corners are going to be rather soft. Now for wildlife, where center of the frame sharpness is good enough, I could see it working.

As it is...considering the cheapness of the lens... may make its way into my bag initially. (because a shot with could-be-better-corners is better than no shot at all)

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

So I got the d800e. All around, just a silly upgrade from my rebel. IQ and everything. This camera does everything really well. No complaints.

Finding out -- not that I didn't know, I guess -- that 50mm is a heck of a lot wider on a full frame. (and this is a really snappy little lens)

I've started re-thinking my purchasing plan.

For the money I might spend on a 14-24 I could have an outstanding sigma 35 1.4, nikon 85 1.4 and samyang 14 2.8.

I don't know that I want that much money wrapped up in 14-24. A good portion of the time I'd be going 14mm with a 14-24 anyway.

Now thinking a 35mm would be kind of a bread and butter landscape/general purpose lens. (and if it's too close to the 50 I could just move that)

The only other big question would be what to do at 85+

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

If landscapes are basically what you do, I'm not getting why you aren't getting at least one if not two Nikon tilt/shift lenses.

Kent in SD

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Prime trio for Landscape work? The plan... (I took the Nikon plunge)

Two23 wrote:
If landscapes are basically what you do, I'm not getting why you aren't getting at least one if not two Nikon tilt/shift lenses.

Kent in SD

May end up there, eager to try... but have heard that the 24mm isn't as outstanding on the d800. Plus it's f3.5 . . . and I'm quite big on fast lenses for night sky shooting.

Waiting to see if the samyang may be better as a tilt-shift option this spring.

Otherwise... I've toyed around with focus stacking a bit and that's my current solution for tricky DOF situations.

Honestly... lots of options, sort of hard to narrow it down. I've been resigned to the fact that I'll probably swap out a few lenses in this adventure.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:21 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password