• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · from today

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:51 PM
bclimey
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · from today

Nice capture and good b/w conversion. May I suggest you get rid of the bright white light in the upper right corner and darken the left side....pavement and building. That way your eye will not wander to those bright areas and stay on the subjects face.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:37 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · from today

I think I would try and see how a square crop looks on this! Otherwise the capture is excellent and really brings out the character in his face!
Douglas

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · from today

If I was apply the rule of third, his face is a bit off. Otherwise nice captures and strong image.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:48 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · from today

Thanks guys but as you see my work I never consciously follow the RoTs. I like to play a bit closer to the edges in many cases if I feel its fits the image better. I love these quotes by some of the greats.

"When subject matter is forced to fit into preconceived patterns, there can be no freshness of vision. Following rules of composition can only lead to a tedious repetition of pictorial cliches." - Edward Weston

"Then so called “composition” becomes a personal thing, to be developed along with technique, as a personal way of seeing." - Edward Weston

"There are no rules and regulations for perfect composition. If there were we would be able to put all the information into a computer and would come out with a masterpiece. We know that's impossible. You have to compose by the seat of your pants." - Arnold Newman

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

"Photography is still a very new medium and everything must be tried and dare... photography has no rules. It is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it is achieved." - Bill Brandt

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:29 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · from today

I know it was cloudy here in Chicago today, but I'd expect to see some form of a shadow directly under his hat, presuming you weren't using a reflector. Just curious if you worked the eyes at all. If you did, you hid it well and it looks really good.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:23 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · from today

Thanks, no reflector just light gray sidewalks and building reflecting light back into the subject. I did do a quick mask and brought the entire face up some and the background down some.

A few more from today. Same light

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:29 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · from today

Nice! Thanks for sharing, explaining, etc. The pp you did was very subtle and nicely effective.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · from today

"When subject matter is forced to fit into preconceived patterns, there can be no freshness of vision. Following rules of composition can only lead to a tedious repetition of pictorial cliches." - Edward Weston

"Then so called “composition” becomes a personal thing, to be developed along with technique, as a personal way of seeing." - Edward Weston

"There are no rules and regulations for perfect composition. If there were we would be able to put all the information into a computer and would come out with a masterpiece. We know that's impossible. You have to compose by the seat of your pants." -
...Show more

"Rules? In a knife fight? No rules!" - Harvey Logan to Butch Cassidy

Great shots, by the way!

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:26 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · from today

Thanks guys.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:04 AM
Yonkers
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · from today

Nice shots. To me I like them especially because they're not just tightly framed shots of random peoples faces. I like that you give enough of a background that I can make up a backstory in my head of who they are.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · from today

bclimey wrote:
Nice capture and good b/w conversion. May I suggest you get rid of the bright white light in the upper right corner and darken the left side....pavement and building. That way your eye will not wander to those bright areas and stay on the subjects face.

I agree wit these points, but the main thing is - these are little thing to consider for slight changes to a very good photo.

Nice work.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:56 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · from today

Thanks Jim and everyone for your input. Got a lot of work before the big show in April.

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.