Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Low cost speedlight repair

jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low cost speedlight repair

Thought I would share about my speedlight flash repair experience. I had 2 of the Canon 580EX burn out a few weeks ago. Canon and my local shop, who would simply send it in to Canon wanted around $195.00 for the flash tube replacement. I found United camera online and the estimate was $116.00 plus $15.00 round trip UPS. Sounded good so I sent one in. They list repair time as 2-3 weeks so I called about the status about 10 day in and found out they could not repair in house and sent it to Canon. Got it back and works fine. They must get a heavy discount. Bottom line is my price did not change. Looks like a good option for saving a little on repairs. The next unit is on the way.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:57 PM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low cost speedlight repair

Ditto the kudos for United Camera. I've used them twice. Lower cost and faster service than Canon direct. Plus much greater ease in the transaction. You can actually talk to them, or they respond to e-mail quickly.

Only one complaint, which turned out to be a big benefit. Sent a Canon 5D2 body for repair of the CF card slot pins. Included instructions to do nothing else, specifically to not update firmware or try to clean the sensor. They didn't touch the firmware, but they did clean the sensor and noted that on the return invoice.

I was fearful some gorilla had swabbed it with Q-tips and Windex. But when I did a check image, the sensor was cleaner than I had ever seen on 4 cameras I've had.

My CF card slot pin replacement was $100, about half the price from Canon. And no extra charge for the sensor cleaning.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:54 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password