Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJKphoto wrote:
Inku, I told them you'd be there at 5pm to pick them up. Don't be late.

! Ok, my fee to shoot for you as a primary is $3000.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:33 PM
SweetMk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Storm Related Cancellation?

I just got back from taking the wife to the dentist, we saw 8 snow related crashes, 2 within 1/2 mile of my home.

I did not cancel a dentist appointment! I think wedding pics are more important. Driving in weather is another skill you need like knowing what f-stop to use. A set of chains will get you anywhere, any time.

Think of the chains for your car like carrying a spare set of Eneloop AA NiMH's for the flash, just a necessity to do the job.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:36 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Storm Related Cancellation?

If I didn't have a AWD vehicle, I would rent one. Weather is predicted so you have time to make the preparations to go. Reserve a hotel room so you don't have to drive late.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Storm Related Cancellation?

You charge how much to shoot a wedding and do not have anything budgeted for contingencies? Go rent a 4wd car.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Storm Related Cancellation?

You're kidding, right? If you are that scared of snow, move to Mexico.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Storm Related Cancellation?

I am from PA and this just sounds like a normal thing to deal with and not unexpected, glad you found a vehicle you could use, just be safe and use common sense. Please let us know how everything turned out for you.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Probably be an easy wedding to work.....no guests.....

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJKphoto wrote:
I'm really surprised at the whole tone...I was only asking opinions. Man Up? C'mon...I didn't mention not going, I asked for opinions on what to do.

You asked for opinions... man up and go is my opinion. People are inviting you in to their family and asking you to take pictures of one of the most important days of their lives... that is not a responsibility that I take lightly. When I decided to buy a vehicle... I chose one that would allow me to get to any job I needed to. I could have picked a civic, but I didn't.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but go early, take your time.. slow and steady wins the race... and gets you there safe.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM
CRFTony
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Storm Related Cancellation?

As I mentioned earlier, weather like this is why I wouldn't book weddings in Western PA in the winter. People telling the OP to move just don't understand what the weather here was like earlier today. The state police were telling people to stay off the roads. A portion of the turnpike (the best cared for road in the state) was closed. There was considerable ice in some areas. People think 4x4s are great and that tire chains let them go anywhere, but neither do much of anything on ice. Snow - yes. Ice - no. On ice, you're at the mercy of fate.

You're also at the mercy of other drivers, many of whom are driving pickups and SUVs and operating them under the false sense of security that they can drive on terrible roads no matter what. You usually see those drivers upside down in ditches and if they're lucky, they don't take out a few other cars on the way to totaling their own.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:14 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Storm Related Cancellation?

CRFTony wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, weather like this is why I wouldn't book weddings in Western PA in the winter. People telling the OP to move just don't understand what the weather here was like earlier today. The state police were telling people to stay off the roads. A portion of the turnpike (the best cared for road in the state) was closed. There was considerable ice in some areas. People think 4x4s are great and that tire chains let them go anywhere, but neither do much of anything on ice. Snow - yes. Ice - no. On ice, you're at
...Show more

While I agree with you, he is offering a service for a set date. IMO, when possible every contingency should be planned for. In this case, booking a winter wedding in a remote location, making sure he could find access to a 4x4 or even a 4x4 + experienced driver should have been an early priority.

It looks like he found what I sincerely hope to be a good solution, and I wish him a safe and incredible event.

Honestly, documenting a wedding like this (where many guests will not be able to make it) is such a huge thing it puts a large burden on the photographer to show up. I have a ton of respect for the full time pro's who go through hell to make sure that events are documented even when they are sick/hurt or things like this happen. It is a very difficult commitment to make for some events.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CRFTony
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Storm Related Cancellation?

He is shooting the wedding and he did have access to a 4x4. He wasn't unprepared (his inlaws had the SUV), but he was asking what others would do on a day where the the conditions were deemed so unsafe that the state police were asking the public to stay off the roads.

I definitely hope it works out for the OP and for the couple and their guests. I'd hate for anyone to get injured going to or leaving a wedding on a day like this.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:33 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Storm Related Cancellation?

I grew up in New England driving a rear-wheel drive sports car. I'm good to go in the snow with an FJ Cruiser in NJ.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:54 AM
CRFTony
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Storm Related Cancellation?

I love FJ Cruisers.

(relevant to nothing)

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:58 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Storm Related Cancellation?

buy a set of chains and keep them in your car. You'd be amazed at what a honda with chains on the front tires can do. I drive an accord and we get lots of snow here so I'm speaking from experience

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:10 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Storm Related Cancellation?

snow heh.

OP, seriously man, just rent an AWD and you should be fine.

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:47 AM
tdurnan
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Dude snow tires or a AWD car. Had a civic for 10 years with snows on it. Honestly never had any issues and we get tonnes of snow up here.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Made it there and back, but the majority of guests did not. In fact the MOB said the pastor of the church called her and said that the parking lot and hill leading up to the church may not be clear by the time the ceremony was scheduled to take place. The parking lot was clear, but the county road to the church was not. Unfortunately, the couple had NO interest in trying to go outside, even on the church steps, to include the storm into their images. Since so few people showed up, the family sent me home with enough food to feed a small army...or the Donner Party.

I am still reeling from the tone of the posts here. I am not about to buy a gas guzzling 4WD monster to do the very rare winter wedding. I am from central NY. I have driven in many many many blizzards, and snow is a way of life from December to March there. I asked for suggestions , perhaps I wasn't clear about what I wanted to know so I'll take some of the blame for that. I never considered not going, I have never missed a wedding in all the years I have been doing this. My fear was driving down there, and having THEM cancel! Or getting in an accident on the way. There were many helpful posts, but as usual in this quagmire called Fred Miranda Wedding forum, there's too many unhelpful ones as well.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:50 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJKphoto wrote:
Made it there and back, but the majority of guests did not. In fact the MOB said the pastor of the church called her and said that the parking lot and hill leading up to the church may not be clear by the time the ceremony was scheduled to take place. The parking lot was clear, but the county road to the church was not. Unfortunately, the couple had NO interest in trying to go outside, even on the church steps, to include the storm into their images. Since so few people showed up, the family sent me home with
...Show more

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:56 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Storm Related Cancellation?

You could make a post saying that there is massive flooding between your home and the venue and some of the posters would respond with, "That's why I always have access to a boat!"

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:22 PM
JanetG
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Storm Related Cancellation?

glad you made it there and back safely. sadly a friend of mine who was only 30.. did not make her journey. her family is devastated as you might imagine, but they are proud in spite of their grief, that she was an organ donor and has helped to save 6 other lives with her gift. please don't be flippant about manning up... the roads can be dangerous and deadly.

Dec 27, 2012 at 07:17 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password