Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Winter Storm Warning here in PA, forecasting up to 8" of snow, freezing rain and sleet. I drive a Honda Civic. It's not the best in the snow. Wedding tonight in the country, a good 45 minutes away, but still in the storm warning zone. Couple has to go ahead with the wedding, but said they'd understand if I can't make it. I can't afford an accident, or worse yet, getting hurt.

What should I do? Suggestions please?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM
dlateulade

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Rent / borrow an AWD vehicle / truck?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Absolutely you should go. Not only is it to be expected of you and the weather for where you live, but photographing in snow is beautiful. Plus you'll be a hero for going.

Just borrow a friends car or have someone give you a ride.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Can you leave early (i.e. now) and stay at a nearby hotel? There must be overnight accommodations for the guests.
-Lincoln

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storm Related Cancellation?

3 years ago we had 2 weddings with 3 feet of snow each. That's why we bought a car with 4 wheel drive. Years later and we still get a ton of referrals because we showed up early and knocked it out. They loved us for it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storm Related Cancellation?

That's why I drive an FJ Cruiser. No excuses. I'll be there and pick up the bride and groom on the way, if I have to.

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:01 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storm Related Cancellation?

I'm honestly shocked you're considering not going, and yeah... it's not like you live in San Antonio, TX and there was a freak storm and the city shut down and you couldn't go anywhere... you live somewhere that you should expect snow this time of year.

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:42 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Wow,

What an adventure, I wish I had a situation like that, a warm hotel to stay, 4WD car (rented or whatever) and one of the greatest scenary for a different wedding.

Good luck

Jaime

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Sarah Brewbake
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storm Related Cancellation?

I'd just drive on over now pre-storm, get a hotel room near and sit at the venue if you must. [:

We both have jeep wranglers unlimiteds...and before that had I had Hummer H3, no excuses not to make it to weddings with 4WD, might be a good thing to look into investing in for the future? Had a couple who were to be married in Jan of 2010 joke at our consult that we could pick them up on the way if there was a blizzard. Ha! (Funny someone said that above!)

We've made it to many a wedding in crazy conditions. Good luck and be safe!

Edited on Dec 26, 2012 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storm Related Cancellation?

You have to show up, rent a car, truck etc. Here in Florida show is not an issue, but hurricane's are. We have a hurricane that took out power and left us a mess, but one wedding was 60 miles North and still going on. We still showed up. The next week, the venue had no power. So they bought 6 BBQ grills, the florist did his thing, the DJ had issues but between everyone we got him plugged into a generator and for the photography, I just ran on batteries, used Lumedyne gear is stead of typically studio lighting packs.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:30 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Inku Yo wrote:
That's why I drive an FJ Cruiser. No excuses. I'll be there and pick up the bride and groom on the way, if I have to.

Word... Last oct. we shot in the blizzard in in NJ. We were also the limo driver that day. Nothing stops the FJ.... Man up. You can't blog excuses.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:31 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Show up early to avoid the snow or worst of the snow.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:37 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Storm Related Cancellation?

+1 to all the above. Start making calls to rent a 4x4 or borrow one, or find (pay) a driver if you're uncomfortable with driving in storms. These are things that can be planned for. Good luck!

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:00 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Storm Related Cancellation?

4 wheel drive is worthless on ice. A lot of Western PA is getting pounded with ice/freezing rain right now.

If it was my wedding, I'd still try to make it there but leave early and drive SLOW! They police are advising people to stay off the roads in many counties here. It is very dangerous.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJKphoto wrote:
I drive a Honda Civic. It's not the best in the snow.

FWD Honda's are great for snow, especially if you have a manual transmission EX w/ ABS, and have enough sense to allow extra distance for braking, don't brake suddenly, etc.

You'd be amazed at how much of a difference 4 good snow tires will make. Try tirerack.com if you don't know what some good choices are.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:12 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Storm Related Cancellation?

Inku, I told them you'd be there at 5pm to pick them up. Don't be late.

The snow let up. Leaving 2.5 hours early now. I'm really surprised at the whole tone...I was only asking opinions. Man Up? C'mon...I didn't mention not going, I asked for opinions on what to do. Thanks to the people who offered solutions, I am borrowing my in-laws 4WD SUV, loaded with emergency supplies. The nearest hotel is a good 30 miles from the church/venue.

Snow is one thing, a snow/sleet ice/storm is another. The State Police tell people to stay off the road for a reason.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:38 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJK - Don't sweat it, people that don't live around here don't understand. Most people think "snow" but in a storm like we're getting today, there's a lot of ice. There isn't a vehicle around that is safe on ice. A couple years ago I had my 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with snow tires) out on a cold but non-snowy day. I was rounding a curve at maybe 15 mph. A few seconds later I had spun off the road, through a fence and was sitting in a farmer's field. If I'd have gone over an embankment or into a pond (there was one less than 100 yards away), things could have been very bad. I wouldn't book weddings from Nov-March for that very reason.

Edited on Dec 26, 2012 at 04:56 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:50 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Storm Related Cancellation?

RJKphoto wrote:
I am borrowing my in-laws 4WD SUV, loaded with emergency supplies. The nearest hotel is a good 30 miles from the church/venue.

Snow is one thing, a snow/sleet ice/storm is another. The State Police tell people to stay off the road for a reason.

I'm sure you'll have extra blankets in with the emergency supplies, but that's worth a mention anyway. Prayers and good wishes are going with you! Do you have a set of chains?

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:52 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Storm Related Cancellation?

dude....GO!!

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:18 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Storm Related Cancellation?

OCTOBER 29TH last year, just like rich, I shot in a ton of snow that was totally unexpected. And I drive a mazda 3.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:22 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.