New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D600 Flash

klb1122
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D600 Flash

I've had my D600 for about a week now and yesterday I got a light stand with umbrella setup. So I set it up with my SB-700 to try to tinker with off camera lighting. I finally started to figure out a few things with using the D600 in Commander Mode when all of the sudden things stopped working. I realized my D600 on camera flash was no longer firing. I could flip it to Auto mode in dark situations and the flash would pop up, but not fire. Does anyone have any suggestions on something I'm missing? Is there a setting that would keep the on camera flash from firing in all situations?

When I put the SB-700 on the camera, it fires. But anything I try to do with the camera's flash itself, it does not work. My off camera lighting worked for a about 3 shots.

Still love the camera overall, but I'm thinking my best option is to send it back to B&H for a return?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D600 Flash

Send it in there is something broken in the pop-up flash.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D600 Flash

YOU COULD have turned off the built in flash, go back into commander mode and check the built in flash.

from the manual: Built-in flash
Choose a flash mode for the built-in flash (commander flash).
TTL
i-TTL mode. Choose flash compensation from values between +3.0 and –3.0 EV in
increments of 1/3 EV.
M Choose the flash level from values between 1/1 and 1/128 (1/128 of full power).
––
The built-in flash does not fire, although remote flash units do. The built-in flash
must be raised so that it can emit monitor pre-flashes.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:52 PM
klb1122
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D600 Flash

boshek wrote:
YOU COULD have turned off the built in flash, go back into commander mode and check the built in flash.

from the manual: Built-in flash
Choose a flash mode for the built-in flash (commander flash).
TTL
i-TTL mode. Choose flash compensation from values between +3.0 and –3.0 EV in
increments of 1/3 EV.
M Choose the flash level from values between 1/1 and 1/128 (1/128 of full power).
––
The built-in flash does not fire, although remote flash units do. The built-in flash
must be raised so that it can emit monitor pre-flashes.

Thanks. Yeah, I actually had it set up with the built-in off, so it was just the SB-700 that was firing. It was working like that, then stopped. I changed it back, and neither fire. Tried to go through several different combinations.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:00 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D600 Flash

"Have you turned it off and back on again" (in my best Roy voice)

It sounds like your doing it right, Do you have any photography friends that are local sometimes and extra set of eyes help. If not other luck you can always send it back to Nikon for warranty repair.

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:42 PM
klb1122
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D600 Flash

I just read on another forum where the same thing happened to a new D600 owner, only using a SB-900. Has anyone out there been using their D600 in Commander Mode without any problems?

Mine will be going back to Nikon this week unfortunately. I absolutely love the camera other than this.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:47 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D600 Flash

If it's only a week old, call B&H for an RMA and an exchange. If you send the camera to Nikon they may have it for a month.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:17 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D600 Flash

I have used mine in commander mode with a sb700 and sb900 with no problems

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:34 AM
klb1122
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D600 Flash

runamuck wrote:
If it's only a week old, call B&H for an RMA and an exchange. If you send the camera to Nikon they may have it for a month.

I just read their return policy and they require less than 200 shutter clicks, and I'm way over that. Doh!

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:56 AM
klb1122
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D600 Flash

boshek wrote:
I have used mine in commander mode with a sb700 and sb900 with no problems

Thanks for your feedback.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:56 AM
mattador

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D600 Flash

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am having this same problem. I got my D600 on Thursday and had a event gig on Friday night where I needed to fire my remote flashes with the commander mode (sb900 and sb600). It worked for the first 15 or so shots and then wouldn't trigger the flashes anymore. Luckily I had my D700 (always have a backup) and it faithfully controlled the flashes perfectly just like it has for the last 4 years.

With more testing, I realize that there must be something wrong with the pop up flash. When using it in TTL mode, it overexposes probably 3-4 stops but sometimes will expose correctly. Also, when it is in commander mode, with the built in flash set to TTL, it will not fire. Actually it fires a pre-flash, but nothing that actually adds to the exposure.

This is so strange, I have been using CLS in my professional work for years and never had problems like this. I am sending the D600 back to Amazon.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.