Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Moving an LR catalog...

ChrisCoy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Moving an LR catalog...

I've had issues with LR catalogs in the past, so typically once they are set up, I dont do anything to them ever again.

But I'm needing to move an LR catalog for speed issues.

I edit weddings on the side, and I have a 2TB WD hard drive set up where I keep the master files. The LR4 catalog is also set up on this drive. So I am processing everything remotely and it is terribly slow - sometimes it takes 5-6 seconds just for the cursor to catch up. I'm also working with D800 files, so moving from image to image is slow as well.

If I move my LR Catalog from the external drive, to my iMac's hard drive, will it speed things up? And are there any risks in doing so? What can I expect to have to do additionally to get it back up and running?

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:49 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · Moving an LR catalog...

ChrisCoy wrote:
<snip>

If I move my LR Catalog from the external drive, to my iMac's hard drive, will it speed things up? And are there any risks in doing so? What can I expect to have to do additionally to get it back up and running?

Yes

No

Close Lightroom and move the entire catalog folder to a location on an internal drive (it doesn't have to be your system drive). Double-click on the LRCAT file and Lightroom will reopen with your catalog as its default.

Alternatively, after moving the catalog folder, press CTRL while clicking on the LR desktop icon. A dialog box will appear, Press the "Choose a different catalog" button and navigate to the new location of your catalog. Once the catalog is selected, Lightroom will open.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:35 PM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #3 · Moving an LR catalog...

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password