Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Jun Zhou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Sigma 50mm F1.4 with new smooth coating was bought in May 2011 and I had no focus problem with D700 Live View.
I just got my D600 and The lens had no problem to focus when I used view finder. However, when I switched to Live VIew, this lens couldn't focus at all. I thought there was something wrong with the D600, so I tried the kit lens 28-85mm VR and the lens had no problem to focus with LiveView.
So I guess this Sigma 50mm 1.4 does not support new camera? or the lens is broken?( I can focus through view finder tho). Could anyone using sigma lens check if your lens can focus under LV with D600?

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

It's a relatively common issue for 3rd party lenses, reverse engineering AF and such. The newer ones in 2012 don't have that iirc. You just gotta contact Sigma for a firmware update

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Zichar wrote:
It's a relatively common issue for 3rd party lenses, reverse engineering AF and such. The newer ones in 2012 don't have that iirc. You just gotta contact Sigma for a firmware update

Hmm, it seems like I have to pay shipping to NY for FW upgrade then... maybe I will not buy 3rd party lens again.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Jun Zhou wrote:
Hmm, it seems like I have to pay shipping to NY for FW upgrade then... maybe I will not buy 3rd party lens again.

Yeah, it's the price you pay for non nikon lenses. Just send it in if you like the lens.

My siggy 150 had the same problem on the D3200.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:22 PM
HauntedHat
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

You can't focus at all? or do you mean the lens can't auto-focus?

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Yes, the lens can not focus at all.
When I half press to focus, the focus ring just move backward from infinity a little bit every time until the focus meter hits the minimum focus, then the focus ring will not move.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Here's a thread of mine, from a couple of days ago. There are several people that have issues with LV and Sigma lenses, but there seem to be more that don't. It's a strange situation, seems to me. Here's the link to my thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176259

good luck
Kerry

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Here's a thread of mine, from a couple of days ago. There are several people that have issues with LV and Sigma lenses, but there seem to be more that don't. It's a strange situation, seems to me. Here's the link to my thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176259

good luck
Kerry

Did you contact Sigma? I just sent my lens to Sigma for a FW upgrade. I read some info from Chinese forum, and they had same problem on focusing, and Sigma China told them to sent the lens for a FW upgrade( AKA. rechip the lens).
Maybe you should contact Sigma as well? Since your lenses are working fine through view finder, so I don't think Sigma gonna charge you anything (Sigma China charge $0 for out of warranty lens), but this is just my assumption and I believe you can find out once you call sigma customer service in NY.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 50mm can't focus under LV with D600

here is the update:
Sigma just replaced the PCB in my simga 50mm, this should be called "rechip" or "upgrade FW". Also, I believed you wouldn't get charged if you had same problem as mine on your out of warranty lens.

here is the statement I get from sigma website:

Courtesy Updating
In today's day and age of ever-changing technology, Sigma will offer discretionary updates to the original purchaser of the equipment at no charge. These updates are done as a courtesy and are not considered warranty repairs.

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password