Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

If I were in the market today for mirrorless, I'd likely choose the Nex-6. Great IQ and handling, the best EVF around, and the best platform for manual lenses (not including GXR M mount.). The Sony lens line is also shaping up nicely.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:38 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

I've been shooting with the E-PL5. It has the same Sony sensor the OM-D has without the AA filter. I had the OM-D for a short while and I normally shoot with my left eye and the small body of the OM-D with the EVF in the center of the body made it awkward to use for me. So I just down sized to the E-PL5.

IMO, Olympus offers the best combo of performance, glass and IQ. I hope the "pro" OM-D EM5 is at least as big as the X-Pro1 for better handling.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

+1 ... or as "big" as the Lumix GH3 with reasonably-sized and sensibly-located buttons.

VinnieJ wrote:
IMO, Olympus offers the best combo of performance, glass and IQ. I hope the "pro" OM-D EM5 is at least as big as the X-Pro1 for better handling.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:57 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

i'd choose the nex-6 if i were you, but the epl-5 looks mighty attractive too.

i'm currently quite happy using a NEX-7 as my main camera, but i don't use autofocus at all.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:08 PM
piser

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

My siblings and I chipped in to get my dad and nex-6 + 16-50mm combo and I'm very jealous of it. Tempted to retire my DSLR for it. I do a a fair amount of hiking/backpacking and the weight of the bigger system + lenses is hard to justify. For my uses, it's really only better for the resolution increase and lower noise for astrophotography

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:17 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

+1
wayne seltzer wrote:
RX1, full frame, sharp wide open, delicious bokeh goodness.
If you value full frame DOF and IQ over those smaller sensor cameras.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Smaller Alternative to DSLRs? Your favorites?

phamtasm wrote:
Hi all,
I'm contemplating getting a smaller secondary camera for when I'm traveling and can't always lug around a 5D2 with 24-70. Honestly it's sometimes too big and bulky for what I want.

I recently started looking at mirrorless systems like the Olympus OMD and Fuji X10, but there's so many that I'm overwhelmed. So to keep it simple and short what are some of your favorite and flexible smaller systems?

If I can use older lenses (fast cheap manual focus lenses like the Canon FDs or older systems) via an adapter that is also plus.

For me there are only two systems currently worth looking at. GH2, and OM-D. In 6 to 8 months the GH3 might come down in price enough to be a consideration. The Nex-6 looks interesting too. It's the first Sony I would consider at all. But the ergonomics still have ya going to the menus too often to set stuff.

The RX1 sure is well built! Gawd, I never thought I would say that about a Sony still camera - but it is... really nice! And the images from that FIXED lens are awesome. But for me 35mm on a FF is WAY too wide for almost everything I like shooting. In FF terms I like 85mm on up an awful lot! At $2,800 with no EVF, a fixed lens, and a fixed LCD, the camera didn't interest me much - other than to marvel over its build quality,

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.