Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

One other thing my wife had stumbled across on the net, in reference to Canon printers (don't know which models) was that they self clean upon occasion, and if all you did for a few months was print black and white, you would still run out of color. Sounds fishy to me, for where could all that ink go? Anyways, maybe somebody has insight into that particular myth/rumor. That could, of course, explain why they don't clog!?!

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

My 3800 is 5 years old. I print infrequently and on occasion a nozzle needs to be cleaned. I always print a nozzle test if its been off a while. I am always able to clear it.

I have never gotten a print from places like Whitehouse (?) Bay or Mpix that is nearly as good as one printed at home. I believe you will need to have a local printer that you can work with to sort out the profiles and your own personal workflow.

Never tried B&W never wanted to.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
One other thing my wife had stumbled across on the net, in reference to Canon printers (don't know which models) was that they self clean upon occasion, and if all you did for a few months was print black and white, you would still run out of color. Sounds fishy to me, for where could all that ink go? Anyways, maybe somebody has insight into that particular myth/rumor. That could, of course, explain why they don't clog!?!

I can't speak to the Canon printers, but the HP Z3100 that I have, wakes up every day to squirt .01ml of ink through the heads to keep them from drying out or clogging. The system works well, and the amount of ink used is a pittance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 05:55 PM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.3 #4 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Nobody has mentioned the r3000 yet. It's a solid contender, and pretty attractive with some of the rebate offers available today. It costs more than the 2880, but that cost can prettymuch be accounted for by the value of the ink in its larger cartridges. The r3000 gets rid of the manually changing b/t photo-black and matte-black inks, and it's generally thought to be better at handling thicker media (though I've not used anything exceptionally thick in it yet). Some people claim its output quality is slightly better too because it can produce smaller-sized ink drops, though to determine this is to do some serious hair-splitting. I've been using Cone Color Pro inks from the very beginning and haven't been displeased.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:39 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.3 #5 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

tived wrote:
Go to your local pro-Lab and have them print it!

Unless you know how to print, which it doesnt sound like (no offence) get someone who knows how to, in particular if you are going public with your images. You do want them to look their best!

Henrik

Good advice here. Printing your own costs heaps for the ink. I have an old Epson R1800 which is now starting to show its age with difficulty in paper feeds and needing many head cleans before it prints clear. I have decided to get all my larger printing done by a pro lab.

Jan 22, 2013 at 06:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.3 #6 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Thanks Shutterbug. I had a feeling it would be something like that.

Nobody has mentioned the r3000 yet.

Funny, I was on the phone last night with Drew Hendrix at Red River Paper again, (as we continue to fight with this Pixma Printer ) and we started talking about higher end, non-Canon printers and he had recommended the R3000 highly. He deals with a lot of people with a variety of printers, so that is a pretty decent endorsement. Enough to at least justify looking into it further, I would think.

I have a 2000P for sale!!!!

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:19 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I can't speak to the Canon printers, but the HP Z3100 that I have, wakes up every day to squirt .01ml of ink through the heads to keep them from drying out or clogging. The system works well, and the amount of ink used is a pittance.

I have 2 Z3100 printers and neither requires any nozzle cleaning. I gave up doing a nozzle check as they always came out perfect.

Jan 22, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.3 #8 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

The 3880 has a stellar track record for being a clog-free machine. Mine went 3 years on the original inks with months between printing sessions, and I never have head clogs. I think keeping it off and covered between sessions is important. The Tumi cover is excellent.

The 3880 is unique in the Epson lineup. Very few if any other models are so clog-free. The bigger pro Epson printers are particularly prone to continuous head clogs if they're not used every day. If a head clogs permanently it's pretty much the end of the printer as the heads and service are astronomically high. I will probably move to Canon for my next 24-inch printer but I don't expect any large printer to be as maintenance free as the 3880.

Sal

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Revelation:
Costco advertised refilling for inkjets.Curious I went there and checked: It was wriiten: not affiliated with HP, Cano< Epson. So I asked: is the ink Epson, identical? the answer: no!
So I stay far away from it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:33 AM
papageno
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

If you stumble onto an Epson 4880 at a good price and can move it and store it....it's terrific. 220 ml ink carts mean lower ink cost per square foot, which could be important.

I hope someone shows you how to print with profiles.....

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:12 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password