FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

bpark42
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

RustyBug wrote:
Have you checked out Jon Cone inks? "Third Party" to be sure, but not exactly what I would call "generic". More like "specialized" for the Epson nozzles ... not putting down the Epson OEM necessarily, but the Cone inks are an offering beyond what Epson provides in the B&W realm. I'm thinking there is a significant difference between cheap generic vs. quality third party.

I've not used the Cone inks yet ... but they "call to me" ... once I get my image making & pp under control to be worthy of such printing. Maybe 2013 will be the year.

I used the Cone (color) inks in my 3800 before I moved to a 7890. I had the old 3800 system, which required replacing all of the cartridges at once. That was a bit of a pain, but I'm pretty sure the newer cartridges can be swapped out one at a time and look to be easier to reset as well.

Print quality was excellent. They provide a number of their own profiles, but I found that they worked very well with the Epson profiles.

Epson certainly wants their customers to think that there is some magic in their inks, but the Cone inks are a high quality alternative at a much more reasonable price point.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:41 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

sbeme wrote:
BW from the Epson 3800 can be stellar, using Epson inks.

The ABW mode on recent Epson printers does a great job, but if I were going to be doing a lot of black and white printing I would convert to one of the Cone piezography sets.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

+1 @ Cone piezography set.

Cost efficient color ink is nice ... but, imo, the piezography inks are the REAL difference that Cone offers over OEM ink.

... What kind of life expectancy should one expect from printers like the 38xx series? I'll likely need to do some "justifying".

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:12 PM
BeaverMan
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

if you are on a little more of a budget you can look for an r2880. I have been using one for the past year and I am amazed with the prints I get out of it. I love it. The only crappy thing is changing the black ink for glossy and matte.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:30 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

RustyBug wrote:
... What kind of life expectancy should one expect from printers like the 38xx series? I'll likely need to do some "justifying".

It depends on a lot of factors. In general, if you maintain the printer it should last you a number of years. Certain parts such as the cap assembly may need to be cleaned or replaced after a year or a few years (depending on how much you print), but so long as the printhead itself does not develop issues you should be able to keep it running for a long time.

One of the keys with pigment printers is to use them. If you let the pigment inks sit for too long they will settle somewhat. A lot of people claim no issues after letting their 3800 or 3880 sit for months, but this is not advisable. It likely shortens the lifespan even if no immediate issues present themselves. If nothing else, the ink tanks should probably be lightly shaken when not printing for more than a couple weeks.

Note that humidity can play a large part in how long your printer can sit without apparent ink drying/clogging issues. Ideal operating humidity is generally somewhere between 40%-60%.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:36 PM
rbn920
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I have been quite happy with my R2880. If you like send me a PM and I could probably make you a print. A picture is worth a 1000 words after all

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Thanks for the offer.

Well, we all know that I'm good for several thousand words ... does that mean I can have several prints.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:52 PM

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But it's not at all the same feeling to have a large print in your home that a lab have done for you. To take the photo and then do the printing also, makes it much better (IMO).

That is true, but i have a limited budget compared to many members, nor do i have house space to put a mcahine in of the sizes i have to save up for to get printed. hang on a min, i dont even own a home

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

luminosity wrote:
The 3800/3880. Just be sure you're prepared to print on a regular basis-- the ink will go bad if you don't. It's not the kind of printer you can put aside for two or three weeks.

That may be true with the 1800, but my 3800 can go a month between printing and has no problems. I've never had one clog and I've had it for about 3 years now. I love this machine!

Jo

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:09 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I have gone up to 4 months. I routinely go 6-8 weeks without printing.
Once I needed to do two rounds of deep cleaning.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:31 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

The newer Epsons seemed to have solved the clogging issues. I didn't use my R2880 for several weeks.....I normally do a nozzle check once a week to keep them free but didn't even do this until I wanted to use it last. The cyan showed some blocked nozzles...but I just did the print anyway. No sign of clogging...it must have cleared almost instantly.

My old R800 is a different story.....if I don't do a minimum of one nozzle check a week I have real problems.....

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:28 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I've owned both the 3800 and 3880. I have had to stop printing, due to illness, for extended periods on both machines. They have never failed me and I've even purchased ink that was passed the expiration date without problems. As a guy who started making b&w prints 50 years ago and then my own color prints latter on, these machines are nothing short of miraculous.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:10 PM
orcastu

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

The 3880 is serving me well. The 3880 comes with excellent warranty support which may not be the same for the 2880 which may be considered more prosumer.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
That may be true with the 1800, but my 3800 can go a month between printing and has no problems. I've never had one clog and I've had it for about 3 years now. I love this machine!

Jo

+1

I stopped printing for about one year when I was abroad. No problem or clog when I started again. Two or three weeks is nothing. I must have done that about 100 times without any problems

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Lars Johnsson wrote:
+1

I stopped printing for about one year when I was abroad. No problem or clog when I started again. Two or three weeks is nothing. I must have done that about 100 times without any problems

No wonder you are so wise! You're over a hundred years old!!!

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
No wonder you are so wise! You're over a hundred years old!!!

Two or three weeks x 100 = over 100 year You didn't learn that much in school

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:56 AM
rbn920
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks for the offer.

Well, we all know that I'm good for several thousand words ... does that mean I can have several prints.

We can talk about it when you start looking to buy

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

another +1 on the epson 3800/3880 ! I had a 3800 for a long time and loved it, sold it and now have the 3880 and love that too Great printer that can go to 17x25 sheets

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

For me, photography has been immensely more enjoyable and gratifying since I jumped in and bought an HP Z3100 printer a few years ago.

I had to learn about papers, and ink, and color management, and profiles and it made me see light and color in a new way.

And it got me started on matting and framing my own prints, and making canvas gallery wraps.

It's a lot of fun!

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:17 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

After 4 calls to Canon support, they just will not help you with print setting issues if you are not using Canon Paper and the Canon software. Photoshop, LightRoom, call them, don't bother us. They would not even give me the definitions for "their" print profile abbreviations, i.e. MP1, SG3, PT2 etc. They insisted I "should not even be in there".

Just because they are quick to answer the phone, and speak good english, doesn't mean they are going to be helpful.

I don't know what Epson is like to deal with, but that is where I am headed next.

Just sayin.

By the way, the VP of Red River Paper, sent me a list of all the explanations of CANON's print profiles. Incredibly helpful and supportive.

Edited on Jan 21, 2013 at 08:00 AM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:56 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.