New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

SpreadHDGFX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

I just got one for Christmas from my parents. I was always hoping to get one, but I was never sure that it actually existed. What's everyone's thoughts on them? Do you like them?

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:04 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

I use one. I wanted to be able to shoot tethered with a 5D3 so I could check lighting, closed eyes, etc. Not to actually transfer high res files to a computer. I have a CF card in my 5D3 that gets the .CR2 files. The Eye-Fi gets medium jpegs that upload into a watched Lr folder. They load in about 6 seconds. It works great.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:08 PM
SpreadHDGFX

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

hondageek wrote:
I use one. I wanted to be able to shoot tethered with a 5D3 so I could check lighting, closed eyes, etc. Not to actually transfer high res files to a computer. I have a CF card in my 5D3 that gets the .CR2 files. The Eye-Fi gets medium jpegs that upload into a watched Lr folder. They load in about 6 seconds. It works great.

That's great to hear. I shoot a lot of sports, especially College Football, and I was thinking about using it to have photos go to the writer in the press box so if he wants to tweet a picture out or have an in game update while I'm shooting, we can.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:35 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

You won't get that kind of range in Direct mode. You'll need to be on a wifi network.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:58 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

SpreadHDGFX wrote:
That's great to hear. I shoot a lot of sports, especially College Football, and I was thinking about using it to have photos go to the writer in the press box so if he wants to tweet a picture out or have an in game update while I'm shooting, we can.

EyeFi is like any WiFi connection...relatively limited range (no more than about 30') to a wireless repeater or router which intercepts the radio signal and sends it on conventional ethernet wired connection. So you need wireless repeater/router within 30' or less of any shooting position.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:11 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

Got one for Christmas. Set up in 10 minutes and working great. Send Raw files to CF card and Medium Jpegs to the Eye-Fi card. Photos load in about 5-10seconds from when I take the picture.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM
SpreadHDGFX

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

wilt wrote:
EyeFi is like any WiFi connection...relatively limited range (no more than about 30') to a wireless repeater or router which intercepts the radio signal and sends it on conventional ethernet wired connection. So you need wireless repeater/router within 30' or less of any shooting position.

I know I can have them sent to my phone. If I have my phone connected to the wifi, I should be able to use that to kind of get it up to the press box, correct?

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:39 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

You should definitely be able to set up something along the lines of: Camera via Eye-Fi -> Phone via 3g/4g -> press box.

BUT:

1. Delay. (Probably not a huge issue; couple minutes isn't going to kill the tweet opportunity.)
2. You'll either be destroying your data connection if you're sending ALL shots this way, or you'll be distracting yourself selecting which shots to send manually.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:06 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone every use a Eye-Fi

You're going to have problems shooting football with the Eye-Fi. Hopefully, you have a camera body with dual card slots. If not, you're kinda screwed because you will have to be transferring your normal high res files via the facility's wifi network if you can get a stable signal on the field (not likely) and the uploads will have to go to a laptop in the press box or to a virtual gallery that your press guy can view. The full res transfers will be painfully slow. Best case scenario is that you have dual slots and can write small jpegs to the Eye-Fi that will transfer in a few seconds. Also, remember that you will have to bring some means of plugging in the Eye-Fi so you can set up any required Wifi settings that you will be using at the field. I would highly suggest a dry run before trying
it for real.

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.