Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Jun Zhou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

thedruid wrote:
Don't forget to buy a lot of swabs and cleaning fluid for the D600 sensor, you are going to need them

I have new set of swabs and fluid I bought in 2010 or 2009......

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:15 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

>>>quote> Denying this problem is just weird. What are your reasons for it? quote<<<

I am not denying that dust can be a problem with any camera.
What I am implying is that you are exaggerating this problem with the D600.
Are you a Canon Troll?

If your camera has dust, clean it. It is not that hard.
I would have taken mine back to my local camera store for a free cleaning if it came with dust.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:07 AM
dholl

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

RRRoger wrote:
I am not denying that dust can be a problem with any camera.
What I am implying is that you are exaggerating this problem with the D600.
Are you a Canon Troll?

Hmm...I'm mildly disappointed to find such a juvenile response here...normally I expect to see this kind of reasoning from some on the dpreview forums.

In your world there is an army of thousands of Canon trolls who have infiltrated the world's forums, blogs and user reviews in an attempt to get people to choose the 6D over the D600. The Timelapse video was cleverly edited in Photoshop, and Lens Rentals along with Simon Joinson have been bought out by the big ugly Canon Chief Troll.

Wow. I bet they'll make a movie out of it someday. I wonder how the movie will explain how dpreview criticised the 5DIII's image quality while praising-to-the-hills the IQ from the D600/D800? A kind of clever doublebluff?

Proper John Le Carré stuff this!

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:17 AM
dholl

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Ok, I've had the D600 for a coupla days now.

First impressions on the vs 5DII factor:

- D600 doesn't quite sit as solidly in the hand somehow
- I do miss the jog-wheel and joystick combo, but not as much as I thought I would
- the body itself feels just as solid as the 5DII
- the viewfinder-view isn't bright enough to see sharpness in dimly-lit environments, even with f1.4 lenses
- live-view zoom-to-check-focus gets slow & laggy once you zoom in a few times
- after a few hundred clicks: normal dust-spots (after a few thousand I'll know if my 603xxxx D600 has the infamous debris-spot issue)
- shutter/mirror-slap is softer-sounding
- like the 5DII: pics seem a touch darker on the PC monitor than on the LCD, with contrast/colour accuracy good. Shooting with LCD-brightness at -1 is probably more accurate.
- JPG images out-of-the-camera look a little flat to me somehow (see example pic, lens used: Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro...might be because of oversharpening in-camera)
- ISO's outside the native maximum of 6400 are not as nice as those from the 5DII. 4000+ appears to be a rough tie (see example pic at ISO-6400, lens used: Nikkor AiS 50mm f1.4)
- there is no revolution in picture-settings...it's the same standard sharpness/contrast/saturation/tone settings. No fancy filters ala Olympus Pen.
- in-camera Noise Filter is about as ineffective as the 5DII's
- battery life seems to be about the same
- all pictures had a green cast to them (not on the LCD, but the image files themselves). I very quickly manually adjusted the WB to take away some of the green. Happier with the colours now.

So not exactly a glowing reference so far. But I do like the camera and feel it has potential to eventually create better images than my old Canon. The main tip towards this end is likely to shoot in RAW and process the images, as in-camera JPG-sharpening isn't as gritty as I'd like.

Here's the two pics I talked about:

flat-looking (not very 3D)...possibly user-error due to in-camera over-sharpened

noisy ISO-6400 files

Jan 13, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Robb Mann
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Switching systems is hard. But muscle-memory will take over. Nikons are very well designed. A lot of your concerns/problems seem to be centered around in-body processing and output. If you shoot RAW you will see the files are a lot better than the 5DII.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
colinandrew
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Anyone interested in trading bodies: (my) 5dii for (your) d600.

Message me if interested.

Aug 07, 2013 at 05:14 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

colinandrew wrote:
Anyone interested in trading bodies: (my) 5dii for (your) d600.

Message me if interested.

Strange thread to bump.

I suggest if you'd like to arrange a trade, either wait for a willing participant to post a thread in the buy and sell, or pony up the bucks to buy the right to make your own thread there.

Aug 07, 2013 at 05:19 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Enough people seem to switch brands that it probably wouldn't be that hard to find someone on the buy & sell forum. Looks like the used D600 is going for $100-$200 more, but you might find someone that wants to do an even swap. On the focusing screen for MF lenses, a few people have mentioned that they use a different viewfinder eye piece instead of switching the focusing screen. I have the Nikon DK-17M for my D700 and it does seem to help MF.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:48 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

WestcoastHD wrote:
Enough people seem to switch brands that it probably wouldn't be that hard to find someone on the buy & sell forum. Looks like the used D600 is going for $100-$200 more, but you might find someone that wants to do an even swap. On the focusing screen for MF lenses, a few people have mentioned that they use a different viewfinder eye piece instead of switching the focusing screen. I have the Nikon DK-17M for my D700 and it does seem to help MF.

I've done both the screen and the eyepiece. The screen is very helpful if you want to be able to ignore the focus confirm dot and shoot fast lenses.

Aug 09, 2013 at 06:54 PM
form
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

If I was a leisure photographer...I would just get a D800 or D800e. IMO, they have the best of most worlds in Canon vs Nikon camera BODIES (note this important point) in that they have the massive resolution for print and crop, enough fps for general purpose shooting, far superior shadow noise, and high ISO noise comparable or nearly comparable to some of the best and most expensive full-frame cameras currently available, plus a very nice feature set.

The downside to Nikon...their live view is comparatively sluggish, it takes two hands to adjust ISO and similar common settings, the Caucasian skin tones are more orange/green than the magenta...and they can't use Canon lenses. Canon has a better lens selection even though their ultra-wides are not all very good or are very poor values (14L II is good but overpriced, 16-35L is just plain soft in corners).

I wouldn't want to try to compare a 5d2 to a D600, since the primary differences will be downgrades except the shadow noise and more AF points.

Then there's the problem of trying to get a D800 with NO af problems. So far I have had one out of four D800s I've tried that had no AF issues. The other three had varying levels of outer point accuracy problems.

Nothing was so aweing about a camera I have purchased since my first full-frame experience with the 5d (the "look" was just so great compared to crop cameras)...as the shadow recovery of the D800. It was simply incredible. I am a very level, mellow person, and anything getting a real rise out of me has to be seriously a huge improvement. The D800 shadows really were just that good compared to anything Canon. That is the ONLY reason I have tried FOUR D800s out (two since I sold the one good one I had purchased)...because the shadow recovery was a kind of magic, a lifesaver, and a spoiling convenience.

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Hulot
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

form wrote:
Then there's the problem of trying to get a D800 with NO af problems. So far I have had one out of four D800s I've tried that had no AF issues. The other three had varying levels of outer point accuracy problems.

BS! as long as you dont buy used cameras from an owner who has complained about issues ever since your chances are pretty good to get one with perfect AF performance

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:37 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Hulot wrote:
BS! as long as you dont buy used cameras from an owner who has complained about issues ever since your chances are pretty good to get one with perfect AF performance

I agree.

You probably have close to the same chance with any new camera regardless of make or model.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
form
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Two of the D800s were NEW. One was good, the other had AF problems. The other two were used - one from Adorama, another from an FMer who "never tested it." They both were clearly having focus problems.

For used, I'm 0 for 2. For new, I'm 1 for 2. 50% new good, 0% used good. It's just bad odds.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Sounds like "if you did not have bad luck
you would have no luck what-so-ever".

I have bought dozens of Nikon products and only had one in 12 years that had a noticeable problem.
It was a D300 and evidently I had the only bad one.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

I switched from Nikon pro gear to Canon in 2006 due to the continued inability of Nikon to produce a camera with decent high ISO capabilities - D2x was lmiited to ISO 640. I went back at the end of 2008 with the release of the D3 and the 24-70mm f2.8 and 14-24mm f2.8 lenses.

Nikon has always had superior autofocus accuracy and superior fill flash exposure accuracy and superior white balance metering accuracy. Canon has been ahead of Nikon wih video for the past several years but Nikon has closed the gap.

There is still more third party video gear available for the Canon 5D camera than for the Nikon cameras as a result of Canon's headstart in this area.

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:58 PM
dalegaspi
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

dholl, why do you shoot JPG anyway? you probably wouldn't have to think about switching systems if you just shoot RAW and use a calibrated monitor for post-work. i mean, dude, seriously...

Aug 13, 2013 at 01:30 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

I have had both cameras (own 5dmkii and using a friend's D600 for several months) and to be honest I prefer the D600 by a lot. Its just a much newer camera with better sensor, better AF, 100% viewfinder etc etc. Coming from Canon I didn't like the colors but the files coming from the D600 can take a lot of abuse and color reproduction is easily fixable. I don't know how it would compare with a 6D though since that's the new model from Canon.

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:45 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

dimitris77 wrote:
Coming from Canon I didn't like the colors .

Just set picture control to Vivid!

Aug 13, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

dalegaspi wrote:
dholl, why do you shoot JPG anyway? you probably wouldn't have to think about switching systems if you just shoot RAW and use a calibrated monitor for post-work. i mean, dude, seriously...

+100

Dholl. Half of your complaints relate to jpgs, unless you don't perform any PP at all on your shots they are irrelevant. What's the point of having a D600/800 if you only shoot jpgs ? Occasionally I can understand, I have myself on occasion (snapshots that don't need large files, running out of card space) but not as a general rule and not to display said jpgs on a forum as proof of anything (and posting a shot that has "possibly user-error due to in-camera over-sharpened" seriously) ?

I can honestly say I've never had a 6400 shot from the D600/D800 anywhere even near half as noisy as the one you posted. Looks like you lifted the shadows from the depths of hell by gross under-exposure.

Aug 13, 2013 at 09:57 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · D600 vs 5D Mark II...what's your take?

Guys, dholl hasn't posted in this thread since January. In fact, he hasn't posted in any threads at all in 5 months.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.