Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

jtmiv

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

Dear Board,

I'd like to get a new printer capable of printing quality photos for personal use. I foresee printing mostly 4 X 6 and 5 X 7 prints to mail to family and friends that either don't own, or prefer not to use, a computer for viewing pictures. I would like the ability to print the occasional 8 X 10 or 11 X 14 to save and frame.

I am looking for something that does a good job and is economical with the ink cartridges. I really don't know what to look for in a printer? My current Canon MX330 does a decent job of printing the smaller photos and the occassional document or receipt that I need/want to save but I'd like something better for the photo work.

Can anyone offer a specific make and model that will do a better job of meeting the aforementioned requirements? Does something like that even exist?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:13 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

I have had excellent luck with my Epson R1400 printer. It does excellent up to 13x19 prints.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:43 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

Send it to a lab, if you only print once in a blue moon, that would be the more economical choice.

if your local lab isn't a pro lab, then find one and build a relationship with them so they know what and how you like your images.

Merry Christmas to you too

Henrik

PS: If you insist to buy a printer, then Epson and Canon's offerings produce very good prints but they are far from economical

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hondageek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

I've had a lot of small format printers (a few large also) and the best, by far, are the Canons that I've owned. The best being a Pro 9000 when it comes to bang for the buck. They can be had for next to nothing ( under $200 new) since they come bundled with cameras and are sold off by the purchaser. Ink is readily available, cheap, and it will probably never clog. Every time I buy an Epson I swear I will never buy another one. I can't wait to drop the bucket from my tractor on my current Epson doc printer that is giving me trouble lately with clogs.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:12 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649328-REG/Epson_C11CA56203_PM225_PictureMate_Charm_Compact.html

For small stuff I use an Epson Charm. It works like a charm for me. COsts around a quarter a print. Prints are waterpropof and I've prionts over a year old that don't show fading.

Or, send everyone a CD and let them go to wallyworld or Walgreen's or whatever for prints.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:57 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Economical photo printer for occasional use

Can't beat this deal: $180 shipped, brand new. I'd buy it but I already have two of them.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1175416

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password