Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Last Camera.

charles sharpe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Last Camera.

Hi.

Do to health reasons I need to lighten my load when it comes to camera gear. So I am thinking about coming down to 1 camera body which will be my last one unless I win the big one. So do I go for the D3s which I have or a D800 or the D4. The sort of stuff I do is motor racing [pits/paddock] wildlife and street stuff. I whent too the camera shop last week and got my hands on the d800 with grip. It felt ok but didn't have the d3 feeling then I got to handle a d4 that felt super and a high end camera it is. Very high ASA is not a must but the body has to be big as one of the things I have is arthritis. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Charles.

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Last Camera.

sorry to hear of your heath issues. bummer.

get yourself a D4.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:13 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Last Camera.

If you have a D3s...stick with it...a bird in the hand, and all that.

You know how it works, it probably doesn't have any issues and...it's free. AND it's a great body.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Last Camera.

I would say if you can swing it financially and you do suspect it might be your last go for the D4. Long run I doubt you'll have less regrets over staying with the D3s and older technology as time goes by.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:27 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Last Camera.

This is NAS speaking!
Get the D4
You want/need it.
You deserve the best
The D4 is the Nikon Flagship.
I would have one too + a 200 f/2.0, if I could afford it.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:11 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Last Camera.

for what you like to shoot, my opinion would be the D3s or the D4. You would have to decide if the feel of the D4 is better than the D3s - after all, you would be the one carrying it, not us. You would also have to decide if the performance differences are enough to justify its purchase - again, its your pocketbook.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Last Camera.

Don't forget that if you switch to the D4 you will need new back-up batteries (if you have any) and may have to invest in XQD cards/reader. Small potatoes compared to the price of the body, but more expenses nevertheless.

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:06 PM
folsomwg
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Last Camera.

If it was my last camera, I wouldn't sell myself short. Get the D4.

Dec 25, 2012 at 05:13 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Last Camera.

My 2 cents, I'd go for the D4 or wait to see if Nikon releases something in 2013.

BTW - speedy recovery - I had a H/A in September.

Dec 25, 2012 at 05:49 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Last Camera.

With the cameras mentioned, I would never change to a new body. Save the money, enjoy what you have.

Then when a major update occurs in camera technology, acquire a camera at that time.

I went from a 1mp Sony to a Nikon D70s. WOOT!! Then my next body was the D7000, Major WOOT!!

If the next one is the last, wait for lasers and super images, they are coming!

Just IMHO. The small incremental change is little fun compared to the big jumps. Patience!

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Last Camera.

D4. We'll keep you in our prayers. My wife has finally overcome her battle with cancer last year. Stay positive.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Last Camera.

Just a quick note to say many thanks for you thoughts and advice.

Charles.

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:48 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Last Camera.

Best wishes. Keep shooting. I have found photography, being out and about capturing images, to be one of the best medicines for arthritis (plus a couple of ibuprofen before the trek helps). Stay active....that's the goal.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Last Camera.

Good luck and keep shooting. Photography was one of the things that kept me going. The other was my wife....

You have a great camera. Go with it. I'm still holding out for the D400....

I would put my money into good software (and computer). ACR in CS6 has given my D300 a new lease on life. Its highlight recovery and noise control is like having a new camera.

Also there may be times when you won't feel like going out to capture new iimages. Staying at home gives you the chance to work on your PP skills.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:14 PM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Last Camera.

Well Guy and Gals I have done it. I have just taken delivery of a D4 body and spare battery. All I have to do now is learn my way around it. Once again many thanks for all the advice you gave me.

I do have just one question at the moment.Firmware update it says put a card in the primary slot is that number 1 slot. I have tried to update with CF card with no luck. At the moment I am only going to use CF cards. I have heard that Sony have stopped making those XQD cards.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:56 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Last Camera.

Sony has stopped making the 1st series of XQD
They are now making the faster ones.
I'm not sure which speed the Lexar XQD cards are?
Ao maybe good to wait for the competition to bring the price down.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:52 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Last Camera.

You can buy Sony XQD cards Also, Lexar is making one. The new Sony card replacing the current XQD will work in your camera. BTW, you decide which slot is your primary. Check the manual.

Good luck, the camera is a well thought out machine.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:53 AM
charles sharpe
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Last Camera.

Many thanks for the info. How do you tell the difference between the old cards and the new cards. My local store has then in stock but not sure if they are the 1st series.

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:01 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Last Camera.

1st cards are probably cheaper and still faster than Compact Flash cards.

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:24 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Last Camera.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I sincerely hope whatever camera you get it will not be your last and will get a D5 or D900.... take care.

Feb 01, 2013 at 08:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password