Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

robertfree

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Hi, I'm using a Nikon D800E for landscape work with Zeiss 25/2, 50/2 and 100/2 lenses. I'm looking for something longer which will have a similar ambience to these three beauties - not just good resolution, but something special. Something which draws beautifully.

I've tried Nikon 300/2.8, 300/4 and 200-400mm zoom. For my purposes, none of them felt compatible with the Zeiss trio. Results (using very precise technique) were variable in terms of resolution and invariable in feeling 'flat' or 'lifeless' to me.

I've heard there are some Leica 180mm and 280mm options. Does anybody have experience with both Zeiss primes and longer Leica glass and if so can you give me a picture of whether/how you might see these two brands working together to create a coherent look for landscape work? Or any other ideas in terms of long glass...

Most grateful for any informed responses.

Thank you :-)
RF

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:53 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Leica APO's would be my first recommendation, look here for samples: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Getting the "Zeiss look" out of some longer glass is gonna be a bit tougher, imo, so you might have to be realistic with your expectations a bit.

That being said, I've got the C/Y 80-200/4 which holds Zeiss like through 150 pretty well, dropping off a touch up to 200 ... and others have high regard for the 100-300, iirc.

I think one of the Nikon 180's makes a pretty good showing, iirc. Not that the Leica's aren't great glass, but I'd probably check out the 100-300 if you're into the Zeiss look. Also, maybe the Voigt 180/4 or the Mamiya M645 200/2.8 APO

Edited on Dec 25, 2012 at 05:27 AM · View previous versions

Dec 25, 2012 at 05:12 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

+1 for the Contax 80-200/4. 'Zeissy' and light.

_MG_1266 by helimat, on Flickr

I am thinking of selling mine though. It simply doesn't get much use outside of travel.

Dec 25, 2012 at 05:27 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

There's also the Voigtlander 180mm APO if you want something compact (probably the same size as your 25/2). Its sharp wide open and renders beautifully.

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:23 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Nikkor 200/2 VRII ....what's not to like?

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:48 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Docs, how about price for starters, and does it resemble any Zeiss? Not from what I have read or seen, like the other longer Nikkors - different aesthetic, different design intent, different audience. Not bad for bragging rights, however.

If you can find an F mount, I second or whatever we are up to, the light and excellent CV 180/4 - weighs less than 500 grams and probably comes out of the same factory as many CZ lenses past and present. The older CV lenses were and are very very good, they do need to re-release them rather than be content with the underwhelming 20mm and 40mm releases. Give the world back the 125mm and 180mm, pretty please!

Or wait to see what CZ does after the 135/2, then again they have busy hands right now. Or look into Leica's 180mm pair of f2.8 or f3.4 and hope to get a good copy.

Dec 25, 2012 at 08:01 AM
jotdeh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

I had the 80-200 which was great. Very versatile (close focus) and really light. When I got the 100-300 I sold it, and I do miss it a lot. I will get one again when one pops up at a decent price.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

rirakuma wrote:
There's also the Voigtlander 180mm APO if you want something compact (probably the same size as your 25/2). Its sharp wide open and renders beautifully.

I had one that I sold. It was very sharp nearby but not so sharp for objects further away. I am not sure if that will meet the expectations of the OP.

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Ach, just get the Leica 180/2 and call it a day

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Leica 180/2.8 APO is light enough for me to hike with and with APO 2x extender you can still get a very good 360mm.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:45 PM
bobring
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

I'm in the exact same boat and have been doing a search trying to figure which way to go myself. All Zeiss ZF.2's on the wide end for my D800E (incl 18mm, 25mm,35mm,50mm-1.4 & Makro). Currently have the Nikon 105 Micro for my '100' range. My Nikon contact has advised me get their best for sharpness, etc: AF Micro-NIKKOR 200mm f/4D IF-ED but I've been consdiering the Nikon 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED as well. Hopefully something will 'jump out' as the choice to get! Bob

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:15 PM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

The new ZE/ZF 135/2 APO is a bit longer. But, I think the OP will be more than happy ( I am tempted to say overwhelmed) with the Leica 180/2 APO or 280/4 APO.

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:04 PM
robertfree

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

Merry Christmas and thank you everybody who has commented, this has educated me much further about the possibilities.

If anybody has examples of any of the mentioned lenses used with a D800/800E at close to infinity, I'd love to see those. Meanwhile, I'm looking at examples online with lower-resolution bodies...a little hard to tell exactly how the lower-resolution sensors are affecting what I see.

Interesting that the Voigtlander 180mm came from the same factory as Zeiss Z_ - it even looks similar with metal ring etc. I like the idea of that continuity of design and origin...but am asking myself if that really translates into some kind of similarity in IQ. I'm assuming that the lower price compared to my Zeiss glass reflects limitations in the 180...but somebody please tell me if I'm wrong about that.

Re. Leica APO 180 or 280, I'd obviously be paying a significant sum for a used item and am concerned about knocks & bruises affecting IQ...in peoples' experience how robust are these lenses and how likely am I to be able to acquire a straight n' true copy?

Cheers to all!

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

gasrocks wrote:
The new ZE/ZF 135/2 APO is a bit longer. But, I think the OP will be more than happy ( I am tempted to say overwhelmed) with the Leica 180/2 APO or 280/4 APO.

Do these Leica's have the "Zeiss look" that the OP is asking about ... or are they simply such awesome glass that they render the "Zeiss look" the OP is asking about a moot point such that the OP should abandon his quest for "Zeiss like" long glass?

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

DocsPics wrote:
Nikkor 200/2 VRII ....what's not to like?

Its nice, effective, easy. Not too "all-around" as its fixed tho..

And very boring.. Like all modern Nikkor AF lens.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

RustyBug wrote:
Do these Leica's have the "Zeiss look" that the OP is asking about ... or are they simply such awesome glass that they render the "Zeiss look" the OP is asking about a moot point such that the OP should abandon his quest for "Zeiss like" long glass?

They dont have Zeiss look, but even "cheap" Leica 180/3.4 is really amazing lens with pretty awesome look. Tho it depends "which Zeiss look". Old C/Y is different from new ZE/ZF. Modern ZE/ZF is actually something between Zeiss and Leica. So Leica lens is quite close to it.

I might be minority but I prefer old C/Y much more..

If I wanted older lens long lens I would probably try either that mentioned C/Y 80-200mm f/4 or some fixed Leica (Leica counterpart 80-200mm f4 is nice too.. probably cause both were made by Kyocera ).

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

CZ fans have always received the short end of the stick for tele options. Even Hasselblad was stuck with the dreadful Tele-Apotessar 500/8. In C/Y mount, one had a couple of mirror optics, and the middling 200/3.5, 200/4 and 300/4 telephotos. Now, for a wheelbarrow of cash, CZ did offer the Aposonnar 200/2 C/Y, Tele-Apotessar 300/2.8 C/Y, Sonnar Superachromat 250/5.6, and Tele-Superachromat 350/5.6. The latter two in Hassy mount are available from KEH: got $7000 handy?

For only $25,000 you can have the Tele-Superachromat 300/2.8 and matched Apo-Mutar 1.7x. This was always special order, and is probably in the current catalog. Expensive, but you get phenomenal performance, 6x6 coverage, and a nice case.

I own one of the above but, realistically, Leica R telephotos are much more attractive in price, availability and rendering.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:24 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

What about Tamron 180?

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:29 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Long glass to go with my wider Zeiss lenses

AmbientMike wrote:
What about Tamron 180?

Rather just regular 180/2.8 Leica R .. any. Or Nikkor 180/2.8 ED.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password