Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What strobes do you use?

thursdaylsr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What strobes do you use?

Just curious what strobes everyone is using. I'm in between Alienbee B1600's and Einsteins. Don't know if I wanna drop the extra on the steins but they seem pretty legit. Most use will be T&I/portraits and some wedding junk, but I'm curious what everyone is using for sports.

Dec 25, 2012 at 03:44 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What strobes do you use?

At full power, they're virtually the same. However, the Einsteins really shine as you go down in power. Their flash duration gets faster, not slower, and the power output has a huge range, which will allow you to shoot studio with almost any aperture, as well as mixing direct and bounced light in sporting events.

I own 8 Elinchrom 600S units, which were considered great monoblock units for sporting events, but after also picking up a 4 pack of Einsteins, I have to say there's no comparison. I've also used and had access to WL and AB's, and previously owned Norman and other lights.

Bottom line: if you want a good long term purchase, get the Einstein, and don't look back.

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:45 AM
rdalrt
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What strobes do you use?

I have Einsteins as well. Upgraded from AB's. Well worth it.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:28 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What strobes do you use?

Einsteins

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:16 PM
bigfredtn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What strobes do you use?

Einsteins here also,

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What strobes do you use?

I use any combination of 6 Alienbees (4 AB1600's and 2 AB800's) but if I was starting over again I'd absolutely be opting for the Einsteins, not only because of flash duration and recycle times, but also the temperature consistency is exceptional as you dial down the power with them.

Having said that, the AB's have served me VERY well, I've had zero reliability issues (knock on wood) and the versatility I have with them is extremely enjoyable, especially with various reflectors, diffusers and modifiers I have collected.

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ALEX88MAC

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What strobes do you use?

is everyone using them solely for lighting gymnasiums? does anyone do sport portraits or something along those lines? looking to purchase my first strobe(s) and the AB800/1600s look like they are in my price range.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:37 AM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What strobes do you use?

I use mine for portraits as well as strobing gyms.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:24 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What strobes do you use?

no the Einstein has some great features for the studio as well. Color mode is supposed to provide consistent color across the power range of the light. And the 9 stop range, that allows you to go from 640 to 2.5 watt seconds allows for a lot of leeway when it comes to depth of field.

Honestly though, any lights beats no lights, so if all you can afford is an AB800, go for it. Especially if it means you can afford a few light modifiers. Modifiers shape your light and help to give it character, which is how you paint your subjects. Beauty dishes, softboxes, strip boxes, grids, and all the other modifiers, are as necessary as the light itself.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:51 AM
moconnell
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What strobes do you use?

Einsteins all the way indoor sports and studio. Fantastic.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:58 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What strobes do you use?

Looks like I'm gonna go the Einstein route, seems to be what both people in the sports and studio lighting forums say to go with. Couple extra hundred but seems to be the route to go. Thanks guys.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What strobes do you use?

The Einsteins shine for indoor Gyms and any studio work, period. If you need tons of power they go up to 640ws, twice the 320ws of ABs, and when paired with the big softbox the light for studio or team shots is just right. Reliable 5000K too.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:46 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password