Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (...

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

sebboh wrote:
ok, i made a video of how to remove the retaining ring here.

i also made a brief writeup of the process on the flickr page and will post it to the lens repair/modification thread.

Tanks for that, it looks extremely easy. It will helpful once I can put my hand on one of these Rokkor. Though I don't know if it is that easy on my 35lux R, but it is irrelevant now

one thing I am not clear is: after last step, is the last glass element still in the retaining ring? I can't see it clearly.

And I see you have turn table running, no wonder you shoot film also

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:30 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

zhangyue wrote:
Tanks for that, it looks extremely easy. It will helpful once I can put my hand on one of these Rokkor. Though I don't know if it is that easy on my 35lux R, but it is irrelevant now

one thing I am not clear is: after last step, is the last glass element still in the retaining ring? I can't see it clearly.

And I see you have turn table running, no wonder you shoot film also

yes, the record playing in the video is only a few years younger than the lens.

No, when you lift off the retaining ring the rear element stays in place. in fact, i believe it actually takes a little force if you want to get the rear element out of the rest of the optical block.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:34 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

Black and white, turntable in the background. Very classy! But why bother taking the whole assembly out?

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:21 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

helimat wrote:
Black and white, turntable in the background. Very classy! But why bother taking the whole assembly out?

the retaining ring is usually on tighter than the rear assembly and my fingers are too big to easily hold the assembly while I unscrew the retaining ring without removing the assembly first.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:52 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

sebboh wrote:
the retaining ring is usually on tighter than the rear assembly and my fingers are too big to easily hold the assembly while I unscrew the retaining ring without removing the assembly first.

Hmm. I have only done it twice, but both times just unscrewed it in situ. Maybe I got lucky.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

helimat wrote:
Hmm. I have only done it twice, but both times just unscrewed it in situ. Maybe I got lucky.

i would certainly try that first, but i've never had one that i could get off without removing the rear group.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:19 AM
helimat
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

sebboh wrote:
i would certainly try that first, but i've never had one that i could get off without removing the rear group.

Oh really... Interesting. I did use a tool, maybe that made it easier than using my bare hands. At any rate, pulling the assembly seems simple enough, so if I do ever come across a stubborn retainer I'll know what to do thanks to your video. And certainly better than grinding away next to the element! Thanks Derek. (It is Derek right?)

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:48 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

helimat wrote:
Oh really... Interesting. I did use a tool, maybe that made it easier than using my bare hands. At any rate, pulling the assembly seems simple enough, so if I do ever come across a stubborn retainer I'll know what to do thanks to your video. And certainly better than grinding away next to the element! Thanks Derek. (It is Derek right?)

yup, it's derek. pulling the assembly give you a chance to clean out dust that tends to accumulate on the elements closest to the aperture to.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

Temporarily rewoking this thread from the dead. Here are a few random some-months-old infinity shots. They suffer from some ISO and push/bad-light noise (and possibly oversharpening too) but still, this was not possible before the alteration.

Have to say that I am pretty happy with the colors too. This is one of the old yellowed radio-active versions. Looking forward to hopefully use it more than before as light now are returning to these latitudes.

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

You can fully clear the yellowing with a UV light. I have done that to several lenses, incl a 58/1.2 rokkor.

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:51 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

^ What do you use for a UV light source?

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:30 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

I see a dirty sensor!
Nice shots, I can't wait to use mine on a FF camera, I really enjoyed it on my 1DIII, a NEX-9 with peaking and the 58/1.2, come on Sony release it already.

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:39 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

pdmphoto wrote:
^ What do you use for a UV light source?

There LED flashlights that emit a UV spectrum, though you can't get them just anywhere, online is your best bet.

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Peire
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

wfrank-very good pictures.This is the type of lighting best for Rokkors.I call them my favourite winter lenses.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:43 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

The "yellow" 58/1.2 Rokkor's color remind me a lot of the Olympus OM 28/3.5. I'll get my 250xxx serial number one tomorrow and give it a go.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:55 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · How to (not) fix your Rokkor 58/1.2 for infinity on EOS (5D2).

Thanks guys!

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:11 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password