New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · neckstraps make me want to choke

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · neckstraps make me want to choke

Ever since I started taking medication I've become especially sensitive to choking sensations. Even thinking about a body with a large lens hanging off my neck makes me want to throw up -- especially right before I get ready to put it around my neck -- the visceral response is just so great. But I don't feel safe leaving it on my arm....I was thinking, one wrong move of the shoulder and my camera could fall off!

There are times I want to hang out and socialize with my friends at the same time I am documenting an event for my college organization, hold a drink, eat, etc. So sometimes I put it in my knapsack instead, but this makes it troublesome to get a shot at a moment's notice. I've never really used my camera bag that much either, for similar reasons-- the strain is just so great. (Not to mention I think wearing the bags kind of make you look dinky.) But soon I might be shooting weddings with two camera bodies.

Edited on Dec 25, 2012 at 06:02 AM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:00 PM
mirageII
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · neckstraps make me want to choke

Sounds like a job for Black Rapid R strap. They also do a dual one that can be used as a single when only shooting one body.

worth a look at least.

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:23 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · neckstraps make me want to choke

I don't use neck straps as I can't stand them anymore. I use a hand strap and a DIY version of the R strap. I am starting to use two bodies and am considering having the second body in a holster of some sort on my waist. Either a Think Tank holster bag or the Spider holster. I was interested in the Peak Design Capture Clip but it seems that a gripped D700 would not hang too well from it.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · neckstraps make me want to choke

I use an Optech Classic and a double Q Strap and a black, synthetic military-style belt on which I can attach a Lowepro Topload zoom.

A holster is an excellent idea. Buy a wide, padded photog belt and make sure that whatever holster you buy opens easily and opens in a way you can work with; away from, or toward, you.

Dec 25, 2012 at 01:03 AM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · neckstraps make me want to choke

Maybe try Xanax to counter the side-effect of the other med you are taking!

Just kidding of course, best of luck finding a solution.

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · neckstraps make me want to choke

Upstrap. More than love mine. Not a fan of these big cross hanging straps for relaxed use. I'd also look at the Spider Holster system.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · neckstraps make me want to choke

I use handstraps - always hated having 1.5Kg hanging and swinging off my neck.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:53 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · neckstraps make me want to choke

Hand-straps are great (I use camdaptor one) but after a while you want to put the camera somewhere. Have a look into the couple of waist strap versions out there - spider, capture, cotton carrier e.t.c. as might be an option for you.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:13 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · neckstraps make me want to choke

It's hard to convey seriousness over the internet-- so let me preface this by saying I am not in any way being glib. Nor do we know your entire story.

But you really might look into a physiological-psychological treatment to overcome this problem. Some kind of desensitization therapy so that things around your neck area don't cause you to panic. I'm sure something like this could be tailored to your needs using a protocol similar to those used for other phobias.

And I can understand-- at least to a degree-- where you are coming from, because earlier this year I broke my larynx in a MTB accident, and the swelling in the area, and the trauma of the event, definitely made me extra aware of things around my neck/constriction for a few weeks beyond the healing period.

When I shot weddings, I preferred to have one camera around my neck-- it really made my job easier.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:02 AM
iso640

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · neckstraps make me want to choke

Another option is having a strap that connects to a backpack. I have a Kata backpack that houses my walking around camera gear and I purchased their strap that attaches to two rings on the pack. I love it. I also have a BlackRapid for when I'm not carrying the pack.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · neckstraps make me want to choke

holster types, shoot from the hip?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/13/spider-camera-holster-review-stick-em-up/

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · neckstraps make me want to choke

I know what you mean honestly, I'm not terrified of neckstraps but I find them very irritating especially in hot environments.

I've used wrist straps in the past but now mainly use the black rapid sport holster with my X-Pro1. IMO this alternative is the best option if you like walking around without a backpack. It's also pretty subtle in low light, it looks more like a part of a bag or shoulder sling rather then a camera holster.

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:01 PM
Defy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · neckstraps make me want to choke

On paid shoots i always carry two bodies. Prime and a zoom. I use the spider holster system with hand straps and if i go with the 70-200 i put it on a sun sniper strap and the prime on the holster.

Some times i do use two holsters but its awkward at first. But i love being able to use both hands to mess with lights, set a pose,etc

If you go with the spider holster dont get the belt. Go buy a gun belt (511 tactical i think) and get just the holster and the base plate. The only down side is the bottom of the camera is not flat anymore because of the pin. So it sits funny when you set it down.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · neckstraps make me want to choke

For the past five years, I have been highly satisfied with the Op-Tech Pro Loop strap. I wear it on my shoulder only and have it attached to the D-ring of an old camera plate, which is fastened to the bottom of the camera so that it hangs upside-down. The strap is extremely comfortable and generates enough friction that dropping the camera isn’t a serious concern. Hope this helps.

Jan 04, 2013 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.