Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Boquillas, Mexico

Karlchen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Boquillas, Mexico

I took these in 1987 with a 1 x 1 Yashica twin-lens reflex and recently scanned them. Boquillas is a tiny, impoverished hamlet across the Rio Grande from Big Bend Nat'l Park, Texas. I don't know what the little boy was doing, but he wasn't sucking his thumb. In both cases I was self-conscious and wanted to get the shots and beat it, although no one seemed to mind me being there with a camera. Many weeks later I was able to deliver an enlargement to the man in the store via friends or relatives who worked there. I didn't know Spanish, and they didn't know English, so communication was limited.

Comments welcome.

Karl Preuss 2012

Karl Preuss 2012

Dec 24, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Boquillas, Mexico

I enjoy seeing this. Thank for sharing.

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:28 AM
Achilles2010
• •
p.1 #3 · Boquillas, Mexico

Love them both! Great work!

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:35 AM
labountyphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · Boquillas, Mexico

since 9/11 you can't even go over there. Actually, you can go over but can't come back since you can only enter the US at an international crossing and the nearest one is over 100 miles distant. a project is in the works to allow crossing at Rio Grande Village in the Big Bend National Park but it is slow developing.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Karlchen
• •
p.1 #5 · Boquillas, Mexico

Thanks for the comments. In response to labountyphoto, I had wondered what happened after the 9/11 crackdown on border crossings. This will be rather a hardship for Boquillas, since it seemed to appreciate tourist dollars and needed every cent/peso it could get.

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:08 PM
lesgage
• • •
p.1 #6 · Boquillas, Mexico

Great Shots, but now that the border is closed and you cant go over in the row boat anymore...what a shame
although I have heard that they are thinking about opening it again...
Les

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:40 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Boquillas, Mexico

When I was there in April, 2001, Boquillas still had no electricity in the town. Farther along the border, the town of Santa Elena was much more prosperous. Both had friendly people who welcomed visitors. Interesting photos, Karlchen.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password