Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

I odered a sample box of papers. Most are straight forwards: matte, satin, gloss, metallic....But I found two kinds of papers that I don't know what they are for. The colors: one gold and the other silver. Yes the print side of the papers: Gold, like you look at a block of gold, the other paper is pure silver.
They look like play papers for kids to cut. But they are inkjet papers.
What are they for? To print what kind of pictures?
Any experience with this type of papers?

Dec 23, 2012 at 07:42 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

They tend to work best with black and white images, but you can print color on them if you don't mind strange colors. Better for still lifes or landscapes than portraiture if you're using color.

Dec 23, 2012 at 07:49 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

colinm wrote:
They tend to work best with black and white images, but you can print color on them if you don't mind strange colors. Better for still lifes or landscapes than portraiture if you're using color.

Interesting. I never have seen one print on this kind of paper. As the matter of fact, right before I was about to return the papers, I stopped and thought about B&W printing. Now I may give it a try.
For color, what kind of images would be good for gold, for silver? hard to think.

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

The only excuse for not putting something through your printer to test print is if it will harm it. These days with so many choices ranging from the traditional papers to metallic papers to sheets of metal and plastic, not experimenting is a failure of imagination.

This shot made a good run on holographic paper. Some might consider that to be a "play paper"...

Dec 24, 2012 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

Bernie wrote:
The only excuse for not putting something through your printer to test print is if it will harm it. These days with so many choices ranging from the traditional papers to metallic papers to sheets of metal and plastic, not experimenting is a failure of imagination.

This shot made a good run on holographic paper. Some might consider that to be a "play paper"...

those holographic images are amazing. I love "metallic" papers. Laterly I use exclusively Slickrock that almost can compete with Kodak's. Where do you buy the sheet metal and plastic/ What is their commercial name? I would like to play with these super shiny media.

Dec 24, 2012 at 04:58 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

Bernie,

Love that Tree shot, that would look amazing on a metallic style material

Henrik

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:57 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gold and silver inkjet papers

Thanks Henrik and nugeny. My take on the the metal prints the labs are creating is that they may require special processes / inks since sintering is involved. Otherwise, there are vinyls and transparencies that are commercially available from Epson or Pictorico. I used a metallic opalescent from Moab for Holiday cards which looked really nice.

There are coatings which I haven't yet tried which can be applied to virtually any surface to make it receptive for an ink jet.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password