Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

woos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

That's interesting. Are they older lenses? Are they HSM lenses? Are they screw drive lenses? What are the specific models?

I have a 120-300 OS and on the D800 the live view contrast AF works *Great*. What's more is how amazingly fast it is, lol. Surprised me the first time, blows my old Canon's CDAF speed out of the water.

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

DTOB wrote:
Well, I am sorry that I failed to help you. But IMO, this is much ado about nothing.

I don't believe that you're at all sorry that you couldn't help, because you haven't even given it minimal effort. So, I really don't care what your opinion on the issue may be. IMO, your kind of attitude is better suited to DPR with the other self-centered, belligerent types.

DTOB wrote:
The OP stated that it would be nice to have (presumably working AF in LV, although he never did spell out his exact problem, and then accused me of not understanding the issue, even though I clearly demonstrated that I do understand it to be an AF problem, despite his completely vague post) for macro and landscape photography, 2 types of photography traditionally accomplished via Manual Focus.

How many pro landscapers or macro'ers actually AF? I'd bet not many...

No, it's obvious that you still don't understand the problem.

First, the main thrust of my original post was to solicit information from other Sigma lens users who are having issues with the newer bodies. I wasn't looking for guidance on how to better shoot landscapes or macros.

Second, it's not at all important, what the "PROS" do or to be able to manual focus, when you're trying to determine the PDAF accuracy of any given lens or whether or not the body and lens have issues with either type of AF.

Kerry

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

woos wrote:
That's interesting. Are they older lenses? Are they HSM lenses? Are they screw drive lenses? What are the specific models?

I have a 120-300 OS and on the D800 the live view contrast AF works *Great*. What's more is how amazingly fast it is, lol. Surprised me the first time, blows my old Canon's CDAF speed out of the water.

The lenses tested are several years old, HSM EX types. The main problem is with the 8 year old 100-300 f/4 and the 3 or 4 year old 120-300 f/2.8. The 120-300 is not an OS lens.

It's cool that your 120-300 works on the d800, which is a new generation to the d7k. I'm hoping that the newer gen models don't have the issue.

thanks
Kerry

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:05 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #4 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Over react much Kerry?

I've made no personal attacks, I've not made any derogatory comments, yet you criticize MY attitude, likening me to the "self-centered, belligerent types" over at DPR.

I wish you a Merry Christmas all the same, I hope Santa sees fit to leave you something other than a lump of coal.

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:35 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.2 #5 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

I just checked my D7000 and it will not AF in LV with my Siggy 150 just like the D3200 I had. So it seems the older Siggy's need to be updated with the newer bodies.

Kind of sucks, but I guess that's what happens when you buy 3rd party.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.2 #6 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Rather than childish personal attacks and lots of speculation, perhaps it would be useful to list the lens + body + body firmware combo that's confirmed to work or not work with contrast autofocus (LV).

I'll start.

Sigma 30/1.4 + D600 + C:1.00/L:1.006 = contrast AF doesn't work + lens or body makes a bad noise

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM
fred_jb

p.2 #7 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

I bought a 120-300 f/4 in June and sent it in to Sigma UK for focus adjustment as it required maxed out fine-tune on my D800. They in turn sent it to Japan as they apparently were unable to make the adjustment here.

There ensured a long saga involving damage in transit on return (No AF at all, fixed with a replacement focus motor taken care of by Sigma UK) and a second trip to Japan after it was found to no longer work at all on the D3100 (camera would not start up with it attached) and the AF was still significantly out on the D800.

Despite Sigma UK telling me there is no re-chip for this model, the notes on return from Japan the second time stated that it had been re-chipped, but that this lens does not support LV on Nikon cameras.

I can confirm that although it now focuses very accurately with conventional AF, it does not focus in LV on either the D800 or the D3100. This is not much of an issue to me.

I have to say that apart from the long delay in getting my lens back to its original working state, but with accurate AF, Sigma provided exemplary customer service, and responded quickly to email enquiries. They immediately offered to put right the damage which was either caused in transit or due to an incorrect adjustment process in Japan, and despite the lens being shipped to Japan twice, I was only asked to pay the original modest focus adjustment fee.

Fred

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:40 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Kerry, you are 100% correct, and it's not in any way "your" fault.

Nikon made an update in 2007 (D3 and later I think) that broke the older body>lens>body communication scheme that Sigma used in some cases.

This is due to some unofficial parts of the communication protocol that were unused up until then. When Nikon started using them, the parts they were supposed to handle (low latency lens control) didn't work with most Sigma lenses.

A competent person over at Sigma support should be able to tell directly from your lens serial numbers if they can be upgraded or not. *In some cases they've run out of the upgrade boards.

Dec 28, 2012 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Thanks for the additional info, guys!

Zippy, you're right, a listing of what does and doesn't work, might be useful. I would do that, but I haven't tested the majority of my Sigma lenses yet.

Suede, the caveat that you have "in some cases" is right on. My d3s doesn't exhibit the same issues with my long Sigmas that the d7k has. That's rather bizarre, given that it seems that it shouldn't work....

Well, I intend to contact Sigma later on and get the ball rolling.

thanks
Kerry

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #10 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

I have sent my sig 50mm1.4 for FW "upgrade", and I hope they will fix the problem

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:05 AM
spenjam
• •
p.2 #11 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Had a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.0 OS that would not focus in live view, the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 OS works like a charm on my D7000.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #12 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

I just get my lens back from Sigma, it works perfect now under live view.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Jun Zhou wrote:
I just get my lens back from Sigma, it works perfect now under live view.

That's excellent news. Thanks for letting us know. Now, I need to figure out what to send first.

Kerry

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:11 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #14 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Kerry, if is it possible to ask without offending you, what will you be using LV and AF for?

Seriously interested, as my complete inablility to come up with a situation that would benefit from this combo influenced how I responded to this thread originally.

Dylan

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

I intend to use it for landscapes, closeup, and macro photography, especially with the d5100 and its articulating screen. I can't see as well as I used to and I can't bend myself into a pretzel while trying to look through the viewfinder. The new capabilities of LV eliminate a lot of my physical impediments and simply makes some things easier than doing them with the VF. Last but not least, LV allows you to have the focus point anywhere in the frame, which can't be done with PDAF.

LV is very useful to check the AF of any given lens. CDAF should be able to show whether or not a lens is performing as well as it should with PDAF.

But, the other reason that I want the lenses to work in LV, is for resale value. If I wanted to sell one of these lenses, I'd have to divulge the fact that they don't work in LV with the new bodies, which would limit the sales.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:25 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #16 · Sigma and Live View on new bodies, big problem?

Gotcha. Thanks for taking the time.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password