New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

scm2000
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

I've been researching an upgrade to full frame for landscape photography, and was leaning toward either the 5D Mark II or 6D. Now I just see that the 5D Mark II has been discontinued by Canon.

1. Should I stay away from the 5D Mark II because it's been discontinued or is that not really an issue?

2. Of the 2 cameras which one would be more suited and better for landscape photography both from an image quality standpoint and being able to print kinda large, around 24"x36".

3. Don't think I can afford the Nikon D800 so that was not a consideration.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

I use the 5d2 for landscapes and it does a wonderful job. I use tripods for 90% of my shots along with Liveview for focus. From an image quality point of view, I don't think you'll notice any difference in print. I'd save $900 and pick up a nicely used 5d2 for $1200. Best deal in camera at the moment IMHO.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
scm2000
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

Thanks Chez.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

I would choose the 5DII and save the money. There isn't enough gain in the 6D for landscape photography. Discontinued does not mean obsolete. Also, I'm sure Canon will still service them for at least a few more years to come, and if not, there are plenty of independent shops out there as the 5DII is a very popular camera.

While I know you mentioned choosing Canon, you also brought up the D800, are you open to the thought of using Nikon? If you absolutely must have new, the 5DII is still going for a lot and the D600 has a huge sale right now where you get the kit lens (24-85 VR, Nikon version of IS) and the body for <$2000. I think that's a steal. You'll see people breaking up the kits here on the B&S forum and you'll probably be able to buy locally. Just make sure you get the receipt.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

If you don't need the new tech goodies of the 6D; and not everyone does, the 5D2 is a no-brainer, get it and be very happy. Check out chez's uploads and you'll see what the 5D2 in a master shooter's hands can do, his images are stellar

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM
scm2000
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

Dudewithoutape wrote:
While I know you mentioned choosing Canon, you also brought up the D800, are you open to the thought of using Nikon? If you absolutely must have new, the 5DII is still going for a lot and the D600 has a huge sale right now where you get the kit lens (24-85 VR, Nikon version of IS) and the body for <$2000. I think that's a steal. You'll see people breaking up the kits here on the B&S forum and you'll probably be able to buy locally. Just make sure you get the receipt.

I guess at this point I'm open to Canon or Nikon because I would need a lens or lenses with either system as I currently have a crop body Canon with EF-S lens. I thought the Nikon D600 had oil on sensor issues or something like that but maybe this issue has been resolved, I don't know. I'll take a look at the Nikon D600. Thanks for your input.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM
scm2000
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

StillFingerz wrote:
If you don't need the new tech goodies of the 6D; and not everyone does, the 5D2 is a no-brainer, get it and be very happy. Check out chez's uploads and you'll see what the 5D2 in a master shooter's hands can do, his images are stellar

I don't need the GPS or WiFi and fast AF is not required as I always use a tripod and take my time. Thanks.

I just came from looking at Chez's uploads and they are exceptional.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

If you don't have an investment in EF glass, it is certainly worth your time to look into both systems. In the long run a 5D II would be cheaper, if you are willing to live with the fact that the best value lenses from Canon have some flaws. However if you are looking to eventually add the newer and better Canon lenses, the savings disappear quickly. For example the 17-40 is a decent WA lens, if that is good enough for you, then you can save at least $500 over the Nikon 16-35 (more over the 14-24). Some of Nikon's lenses are better, some of Canon's are better -- it just depends on what you want to use. If you like tilt-shift lenses, then Canon is a no-brainer. If you want the best WA zoom available then the Nikon 14-24 is the answer. Be aware, the AF system of the 5D II isn't exactly awesome -- I lived with a 5D for a long time and its the same unit. The 6D may or not be any better, I guess if you like using just the center point its probably a big improvement. I personally wouldn't settle for less than the 5D III's AF system, the previous models were that annoying for me after 5+ years. The AF system in either Nikon is better than the 5D II, if that is important to you.
Paul

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

scm2000 wrote:
I've been researching an upgrade to full frame for landscape photography, and was leaning toward either the 5D Mark II or 6D. Now I just see that the 5D Mark II has been discontinued by Canon.

1. Should I stay away from the 5D Mark II because it's been discontinued or is that not really an issue?

2. Of the 2 cameras which one would be more suited and better for landscape photography both from an image quality standpoint and being able to print kinda large, around 24"x36".

3. Don't think I can afford the Nikon D800 so that was not a consideration.

Any
...Show more

Both will be essentially equal performers for the 24" x 36" landscapes you mention, though I feel that it isn't necessarily quite a walk in the park to produce photos that large from FF digital unless you are rather careful and skillful in post.

If I were in your shoes and had neither... if cost is an issue I would go with the less-expensive 5D2 for your purposes. If you aren't concerned about spending some hundred of dollars more, you might as well have the newer camera. Of course, I think you implied that you don't have lenses, in which case the difference might be better invested there.

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM
scm2000
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

PeaktoPeek wrote:
If you don't have an investment in EF glass, it is certainly worth your time to look into both systems. In the long run a 5D II would be cheaper, if you are willing to live with the fact that the best value lenses from Canon have some flaws. However if you are looking to eventually add the newer and better Canon lenses, the savings disappear quickly. For example the 17-40 is a decent WA lens, if that is good enough for you, then you can save at least $500 over the Nikon 16-35 (more over the 14-24). Some of
...Show more

B&H has a 5D2 24-105 f/4L IS USM AF kit for 2399. The 6D kit with same lens is 2699.

Adorama has Nikon D600 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S VR kit for 1996.

So this is what I'm looking at.

The AF doesn't matter to me because I always use a tripod and work slow focusing in live view and taking my time.

I would like to eventually get a Tilt Shift lens but it's not in my budget this year.

Thanks Paul.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM
bob_wfmc
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

Hi - like others have said, the 5D Mark II is a terrific camera. For landscapes in particular it is awesome. The only reason to consider the 6D if gps and wifi are of no interest would be the fact that the sensor has been updated with a bit better shadow detail/less banding in PP. Honestly though it seems a bit academic.

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:45 AM
scm2000
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

gdanmitchell wrote:
Both will be essentially equal performers for the 24" x 36" landscapes you mention, though I feel that it isn't necessarily quite a walk in the park to produce photos that large from FF digital unless you are rather careful and skillful in post.

If I were in your shoes and had neither... if cost is an issue I would go with the less-expensive 5D2 for your purposes. If you aren't concerned about spending some hundred of dollars more, you might as well have the newer camera. Of course, I think you implied that you don't have lenses, in which
...Show more

Thanks Dan.

The 24"x36" print is just a goal at this time. Something to shoot for. If I did ever get to the skill level in PP to print this big, I wanted to have the hardware to support that possibility. The majority of prints would be smaller.

Allocating a larger percentage of my available dollars into high quality lenses is a point well taken.

A thought I had was to go with the 5D2 with the kit 24-105 lens now, acquire one or two nice high quality lenses in the next few years, and then in a couple years upgrade the body when they get that pesky DR issue resolved that I've been reading so much about lately. Just a thought.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:47 AM
scm2000
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

bob_wfmc wrote:
Hi - like others have said, the 5D Mark II is a terrific camera. For landscapes in particular it is awesome. The only reason to consider the 6D if gps and wifi are of no interest would be the fact that the sensor has been updated with a bit better shadow detail/less banding in PP. Honestly though it seems a bit academic.

Thanks Bob.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

The 24"x36" print is just a goal at this time. Something to shoot for...

Piece of cake. How much does it cost to run off a single print in your neck of the woods? For me it is about US$26 - Fuji Frontier.

As soon as you feel you have something worth printing, do it. You'll see FF is more than up to the task of making large prints.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:21 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

scm2000 wrote:
Thanks Dan.

The 24"x36" print is just a goal at this time. Something to shoot for. If I did ever get to the skill level in PP to print this big, I wanted to have the hardware to support that possibility. The majority of prints would be smaller.

Allocating a larger percentage of my available dollars into high quality lenses is a point well taken.

A thought I had was to go with the 5D2 with the kit 24-105 lens now, acquire one or two nice high quality lenses in the next few years, and then in a couple years upgrade the body
...Show more

Great thought/reasoning, get the 5D2. Waiting a bit is smart, the increased DR of the 6D; shadow recover, less noise, is IMHO, just the start of Canon getting back to level ground with Sony's Exmor sensor gains, the next gen of bodies will give us a better clue to there direction...give them a year or two; perhaps the next xxD or the 7D upgrade will give us a peek into their plans.

Starting off with the kit you mention is IMO a great move. Buy more glass, but be warned 'L' glass spoils you, addictive it is; I've a few of the f4 versions and am very spoiled.

I'll go with the 6D, 24-105 kit next year, but it's only because of the 6D's newer features that may help with some of my disability issues. No doubt the 5D2 will be a great tool for you, enjoy whatever you get...

Jerry

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:48 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

Paul Mo wrote:
Piece of cake. How much does it cost to run off a single print in your neck of the woods? For me it is about US$26 - Fuji Frontier.

As soon as you feel you have something worth printing, do it. You'll see FF is more than up to the task of making large prints.

In 2007 I picked up an HP Z3100 44" large-format printer so I could print my own photos large and have control over the final product. I don't find myself printing larger than 24"x36" very often so I could have gotten the smaller 24" wide printer and saved on a lot of space in my office taken up by this beast.

Ink costs average about fifty cents per ml used. An average 24"x36" print uses from 4-7ml of ink total. Thick 36-inch wide museum-grade matte photo paper costs about $1 for each foot that comes out of the printer. So a 24"x36" photo ends up costing me about $5-$7.

I paid for the printer by the third year in the savings in printing my own over having them done commercially.

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

When the 5D2 came out, a lot of the same arguments were being made about the 5Dc. The 5D2 is a good camera, but i think the 6D is a good buy if you want a camera now because:
1. Christmas prices are usually lower, if you wait, plan to wait till next christmas
2. Canon has a 2-3 year product cycle, ther won't be a next gen for a long while
3. The 5D2 will continue to lose resale value, just like the 5Dc did, just like the 6D, the round trip cost of both bodies should be similar
4. If you buy a new now 5D2 and try to resell it a few months down the road, prepare to lose alot of money, just look at resale prices.
5. If you buy a used 5D2, you don't get a warranty. I've worn out the shutter on one body and had to send another body back for microadjustment - failure happens
6. The 6d takes cheaper SD cards and my cell phone doubles as a remote - some small savings there

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:45 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

My 2 cents...get a new 5D II for a very low price, these days..

Dec 23, 2012 at 09:47 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

I picked up another 5D II because of the very low prices. Best value out there right now.

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:30 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D Mark II vs 6D

I'll just reiterate what the others said. The 5D2 is hands down, the best bang for your buck. It's not only a great camera, but it's proven to be a great camera as well.

-Nick

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.