FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Questions on Thors well

charles354
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Questions on Thors well

Would like to know best time to shoot Thors well, high tide or low tide. Also where would be a good place to get tide info.
Thanks for any help. charles354

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Questions on Thors well

High tide or near high tide. Tide books are usually given out at the motels, it can be googled on line.

Avoid a real high tide or storms or you will get soaked or drowned. I was able to time my shot just before sunset. You need some wading shoes as there is some water to get across to the ridge of rocks you need to stand on.

I have a little write up on Thors Well here.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=578

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:17 PM
charles354
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Questions on Thors well

Thank you Ben for all the good info. charles354

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Questions on Thors well

As stated, a mid to high tide is what makes this place special. I have shot this at a +4 tide before. Kinda suicidal, but it is part of the fun when you have to work for the shot.

Sunrise or sunset will work. Both of these were taken in January I believe of last year. First one is from sunrise, second one is before sunset. Be very careful and diligent out there. There is absolutely nothing to hold on to when the waves come crashing into you, and the way the well sits and near the cape, the waves come from two different ways - so you have to watch waves from behind and in front of you.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-009LfkvuuV4/TwoDPLa4epI/AAAAAAAAGJw/DBDCSnJPlDk/s880/Thors-L.jpg

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0bbLctG2tzk/TxIFSB-EBQI/AAAAAAAAGIA/ui9iNcvgPpw/s899/Thors-Sunset.jpg

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM
charles354
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Questions on Thors well

Thanks Dustin for info and pics. charles354

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Questions on Thors well

Agree with the above... sunset really works for this spot... stand a bit to the right if you want a direct shot into the sunset.... there were too many other photogs there for me to stand in any other spot. Be careful of getting too close, you don't want to get sucked into that drop!

http://www.onthewallphoto.net/Photography/The-Oregon-Coast/i-xXxtHGk/0/X2/P8258675-X2.jpg

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:44 AM
charles354
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Questions on Thors well

Thanks Lee for info and Photo. Hopefully I will not have so many photogs when I am shooting it. charles354

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:23 AM
Ernie King
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Questions on Thors well

Just curious, how deep is the drop there?

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Questions on Thors well

Maybe 3 feet ..

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Questions on Thors well

Dustin Gent wrote:
Maybe 3 feet ..

I haven't been right up to the edge... but it's quite a bit deeper than just 3 feet.... you can see 3 feet depth from the photo's alone....

The fact that there is a keyhole in the rocks below the visible edge that the seawater punches up through to cause up to 30 foot spouts of water denotes a much further depth... if I get back down there again and the tide is out, I may venture closer for a look see.....

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Twisties
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Questions on Thors well

Lee Wiren wrote:
I haven't been right up to the edge... but it's quite a bit deeper than just 3 feet.... you can see 3 feet depth from the photo's alone....

The fact that there is a keyhole in the rocks below the visible edge that the seawater punches up through to cause up to 30 foot spouts of water denotes a much further depth... if I get back down there again and the tide is out, I may venture closer for a look see.....

What he said!

I use Tides and Currents for Android. If you have a smartphone I highly recommend it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:47 AM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Questions on Thors well

I've actually been to the very edge of the well at a minus, calm tide.

There's absolutely nothing going on in the well, at all, if it's a really low tide with calm surf.

So this was a quick snap I took.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8512613994_9fce633c3b_b.jpg

From this picture and memory I would gauge the depth at about 10-15 feet. The keyhole at the west end is fairly large.

Nice shot of Thor's Well with Cape Perpetua in the distance Dustin. Really like the light in that one.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Marshall Alsup
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Questions on Thors well

I took a trip down the Oregon coast and the Redwoods in the week between Christmas and New Years this year. I was looking forward to many things on the trip, but none more than Thor's Well. When I got there I couldn't find it! It was so annoying at the time lol. I want to thank Ben for his writeup on his blog linked above. I wish I'd had that when I visited!

Btw, awesome shots guys!

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.