New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Upgrade/add second body

Jeffrey Myers
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrade/add second body

I'm currently shooting the 50D and am happy with it. Was considering a second 50D but thought I'd upgrade instead of getting the same since its been a few years.

Anyone have thoughts?

What advantage would a full frame have over a crop frame?

Should I go for a 5D mkii or a 7D or maybe a 60D. what advantages would they have?

Budget could be up to 1500 or depending on the advantages could be more.

Thanks Guys

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrade/add second body

First let us know which lens you already own. I would investing with good lens before upgrade a second body.

If the second body is important and with a budget of up to $ 1500. I would get set 5D II and/or about $500 more 6D would be better.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrade/add second body

What glass do you have, what kinds of subjects do you shoot, etc. IMHO the 50d is a good camera, but the 7d is definitely better. The image quality of the 5d2 is better still, especially at higher ISO, but if you're looking for a sports camera the 7d would probably suit your needs better. To get that better image quality of the full frame you need better glass, though.

IMHO the pluses of full frame are the ability to get thinner depth of field, better high iso, and in general a little more natural and better looking images with less processing

Crop gives the advantage of using the "sweet spot" of lenses, as well as the ability to use cheaper lenses: ie the 85/1.8 instead of a 135/2 for sports/performances, or the 17-55IS instead of the 24-70 as a general purpose lens.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrade/add second body

Do you want the second body for backup or as a two camera setup with lenses attached for switching quickly between the two?

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrade/add second body

The 7D is the logical upgrade from the 50D, not the 60D. The 60D was a turn in market by Canon to create a smaller more Rebel sized market segment. If you want a smaller more compact body, then that is your path and you should compare it vs. the T4i which has the same sensor and an overlapping set of features. The 7D is a similar sized and improved body of the 50D. As for the 5D2, they are a good value if you want full frame. WIthout knowing what you shoot, not sure if that's a good path or not. The 7D would be a nice upgrade from what you have without question.

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Jeffrey Myers
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrade/add second body

Thanks for all the replies.

I shoots vary. I shoot a good bit of macro, also help out at weddings from time to time. I also shoot portraits and some sports.

Currently own:
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS
Sigma Macro 150mm f/2.8

Also, it would be two camera setup-

Thanks for all the thoughts. I appreciate the input.

Jeff

Edited on Dec 22, 2012 at 03:29 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:07 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrade/add second body

In that case, 5d mark2. The 70-200/2.8IS sings on the 5d, so I imagine the sigma would be pretty good as well. For portraiture, the 70-200 length is great for head shots to small groups without switching a lens or moving too far back. It will also give you an extra stop to 1 1/3 stops of high ISO for dark churches that don't allow flash

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrade/add second body

For wedding shooting .
I highly recommend to invest a Full Frame sensor as you main camera with 24-70mm attached.
and your current 50D with 70-200 attached as the second body.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:28 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrade/add second body

I've both the 40D and 50D, it sounds odd but the 50D is mostly my backup, along with a G12. IQ is why I use my 40D as primary...but that discussion is best for another post/day; I do love the 50D's LCD.

If you are considering the 7D, test it's new AF before you buy. The 5D2, 6D, 60D all use the same basic focus point system that has the red rectangle confirm option. The 7D uses a more advanced black rectangle based system like the 5D3 and 1DX. The 7D gets great reviews and lots of FMers use it quite successfully.

One question...are you a hobbyist or a paid pro? If you're a second shooter sometimes, what does your primary shooter use and more importantly, what body; crop or FF, would compliment what your shooting assignments require.

You've some nice fast glass, the 50D gets you pretty good FPS and reach, I'd think if you are looking for better IQ you might consider a FF body. Take a look at the 1/2 dozen 6D threads here on FM, most include a ton of info on the 5D2, 5D3, even the original 5Dc.

The 5D2 is a killer camera and it's price point right now is incredible...meets your 1500 spot on. There are scores of hobbyists and pros here on FM that exploit the 5D2 for all it's worth and their images demonstrate it's amazing/ground breaking abilities.

Good luck deciding
Jerry

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Jeffrey Myers
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrade/add second body

Great info Jerry. Thanks. I'm a hobbyist majority of the time so what the primary shooter is using is irrelevant.

Jeff

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrade/add second body

I'd say that the determining factor should be what characteristics matter most to you. If it's absolute IQ, then without a doubt the 5D II (I'm not considering the 6D since I know nothing about it and I believe it's beyond your target price), but if AF for moving subjects, frames per second rate, and "reach" are most important, then (and only then) would the 7D be preferable. That's my tuppence worth.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrade/add second body

I agree -- a nice used 5D2. You've got the right lenses.

Have fun!

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:07 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrade/add second body

Jeffrey Myers wrote:
Great info Jerry. Thanks. I'm a hobbyist majority of the time so what the primary shooter is using is irrelevant.

Jeff

The 5D2 sounds like a great fit for the work you do and there are lots of buying options, new, refurbished, used; if you have an old broken or useless body check out the canon loyalty program for pricing.

Jerry

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Jeffrey Myers
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrade/add second body

Thanks for all the help! I'll be considering and most likely pick on up on here in the next month.

timbop- Thanks again for the sale on the 24-70. I appreciated a face to face sale instead of shipping.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:24 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrade/add second body

Jeffrey Myers wrote:
Thanks for all the help! I'll be considering and most likely pick on up on here in the next month.

timbop- Thanks again for the sale on the 24-70. I appreciated a face to face sale instead of shipping.

no problem, although I've been kicking myself since selling it then.....

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Jeffrey Myers
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrade/add second body

In your opinions, do you think it would be a great advantage to kick in an extra $1000 and pick up a 5d3 ? I've read reviews and comparisons on FM and other sites but from anyone who has used them both, is there enough improvements in the 5d3 to make it worth picking up instead of the 5d2? Being a next gen camera and all the rave reviews it got would say yes, but wanted some input from actual users. Thanks

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrade/add second body

If you are shooting action and low light (birds in flight, indoor or outdoor sports, weddings, events, dinners), then yes; the MK3 is more responsive.

Overall the MK3 is more capable. However, the MK2 is more than capable.

I'd simply ask if the frames per second matter.

Do they?

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:07 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrade/add second body

The 5DII would compliment your 50D very well.

-Nick

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrade/add second body

Jeffrey Myers wrote:
In your opinions, do you think it would be a great advantage to kick in an extra $1000 and pick up a 5d3? ...

Hah! If you're wanting a consensus, good luck! Some will contend yes, others will insist no. And, each person's opinion will reflect how significant $1000 is to himself or herself. Some, including myself, elected to upgrade from a 5D II to a 5D III; others elected not to.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Jeffrey Myers
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrade/add second body

Paul, fps don't matter too much. Are you saying that is the only difference worth considering?

nburwell, I was considering the 5dii or 5diii my 2nd question was, from those who shot with both, is the extra $$ worth the advantages of the 3 over the 2.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:31 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.