Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A gymnastics picture from last year

dweverett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A gymnastics picture from last year

I was working on a better backup solution and came across this picture that I had made last year. It's the first time I've tried the technique and it didn't come out all that well. Part of that was how it was shot -- I tried to pull it off with little planning from the top of the stands and part of it was that I didn't work hard enought in PP to do it right. I tried it once since where I had better control of the environment but unfortunately I didn't have the right lens with me and my daughter kept flying out of the frame. I may borrow a friends 24-70 and try it again at a meet in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, thought I'd post it since it's a little bit different.

http://everett-family.smugmug.com/Sports/Gymnastics/i-LRGXhJ2/1/L/becca1_edited-2-L.jpg

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:51 AM
ALEX88MAC

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A gymnastics picture from last year

cool concept. like you said with a little more effort this could be a great photo

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A gymnastics picture from last year

As long as you are going with a pano look to this, why not crop out most of the top and bottom? The fewer distractions the better.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:17 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A gymnastics picture from last year

Tumbling lines are great to watch and they make awesome video but I find it nearly impossible to grab any aesthetically pleasing single shots from these runs. It's really cool to analyze your photo from that perspective and try to find "the shot". To my eye, the opportunities for a single great shot are simply not there but this sequence is a fantastic way to capture a tumbling line. Nicely done!

My kids love this which means that I'm now required to replicate your feat. Dang!

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM
danmc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A gymnastics picture from last year

Another nod here - I so rarely manage a nice single image on the floor routines that I can't wait to spend some time trying this technique.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:10 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A gymnastics picture from last year

Sorry to say that it doesn't work for me at all. There are so many other gymnasts in the scene that it's hard to sort out who the subject is. I get the idea, but the execution needs to be redone. It would work better at floor level with less distractions.

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM
dweverett

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A gymnastics picture from last year

P Alesse wrote:
Sorry to say that it doesn't work for me at all. There are so many other gymnasts in the scene that it's hard to sort out who the subject is. I get the idea, but the execution needs to be redone. It would work better at floor level with less distractions.

If you think it's hard to tell who the target was with this crop you should have seen the original. You can see other parents and the pro shooting at where she starts the run since the background is from the first shot taken

If I get my act together I'll try it again in a couple of weeks at a meet that her gym hosts. They rent space at a community college and the parents setup the equipment the night before. I can try to take it from ground level when the meet isn't really running. I tried that last year but didn't get it to work

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM
dweverett

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A gymnastics picture from last year

Russ -- agree with you on further cropping to a pano format. I had it formated to print 8.5x11 and had quickly cut some of it away to post but I really should have taken it further

Ihryshko & danmc -- I think it is a good way of showing floor. While I've gotten better at capturing the close up of my daughter coming out of a front flip etc., it's never an attractive look on her face so she hates them. This type of shot she loved -- even though it wasn't a great effort.

As a normal parent it's hard to find a situation where I can get the right positioning. As I mentioned in another post, I think I'm going to try again before during the setup to an upcoming meet but even there there are kids running in and out of the frame. Before the meet I can try shooting ground level. I might try it again at the meet too. It's at a community college and the bleachers go up pretty high. I might be able to get an angle where I could basically be shooting down enough to have the floor as the background. That won't show the height of the flip as well but it might be an okay tradeoff -- especially given the alternatives.

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:46 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.