Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Filling the Gap

Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filling the Gap

I have a nephew getting married next week in a small, modern church in a distant city. He had a wedding photographer lined up, but it all fell through today. He can't find anyone at this short notice, and asked me to do it. I have done two weddings in the past (12 years ago) on a paid basis, but decided to stay with stock photography. I think I could do it, but I have a few questions. What I have: 25 yr. experience with camera gear including Nikon digital, medium format, large format. I don't have much formal portrait experience at all, but I do have very solid experience with off camera flash. That leads me to my question. I have x8 White Lightning x3200 monolights, x5 Nikon Sb-28 flash, one Nikon SB-900, CyberSyc triggers. I have only used the lights outdoors to light up big stuff, so I only have two portrait umbrellas. I also have x2 Alien Bees B1600 strobes, and x5 vagabond lithium battery packs, and a Minolta flash meter IVf. Assume I know how to use these fairly well. Since I am traveling by plane, I want to keep my kit simple. I'm thinking for lighting of just bringing two SB-28 with umbrellas plus the Sb-900. I do worry this won't be enough power for group shots though. Maybe I should brring the B1600 pair instead, using the SB-900 for reception shots? Camera gear consists of Gitzo 1325 tripod, Nikons D300 & D5100, Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR, Rolleiflex MX with 75mm Tessar f3.5 (to shoot some 120 b&w.) Will a pair of SB-28 flash likely do it for me, or would I definitely be better off with the two B1600 even though they are larger to pack along?

Kent in SD

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:28 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filling the Gap

Two23 wrote:
I have a nephew getting married next week in a small, modern church in a distant city. He had a wedding photographer lined up, but it all fell through today. He can't find anyone at this short notice, and asked me to do it. I have done two weddings in the past (12 years ago) on a paid basis, but decided to stay with stock photography. I think I could do it, but I have a few questions. What I have: 25 yr. experience with camera gear including Nikon digital, medium format, large format. I don't have much formal portrait
...Show more

I would wager that if you posted a location, there would be more than a few people on here who would be available.

Now, if you WANT to do it, that is a whole other thing. (ohh and great googly moogly you have a ton of flashes. I thought I was crazy!)

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:28 AM
mccallmedia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filling the Gap

depending on time of day, conditions and shooting locations you may not even need to use flash for group shots. I would think 3 speedlites with two umbrellas should do the trick and that way you'll be able to travel lighter.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:37 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password