New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another 200-400 question

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another 200-400 question

I know the 200-400 has a built in 1.4x extender but can an external 1.4x extender also be used?

Thanks

Rod

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:19 PM
fredjlord

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another 200-400 question

Rod, I have the same question. It would end up being f/8 @ 800mm but I can handle that.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:05 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another 200-400 question

I don't know the exact answer but I do believe that it can be done or in other words, why not? It uses the same mount. At least a generic TC should work with it if the rear element of that lens prevents a Canon 1.4X TC to be mounted.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:09 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another 200-400 question

As Roland W posted within here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171044/0

Roland W wrote:
When the initial release of information about the 200-400 occurred, Canon did say that it would not accept a Canon converter, and that the opening at the rear was to small to allow one to be attached. This is similar to the Canon 2X III extender, which also will not allow a Canon extender to be mounted on its back. So unless there was a further late change to the design, no Canon extender. Non Canon extenders may function, but I doubt I will bother trying that. Remember that the optical design of the Canon super telephotos is planned
...Show more

So like he said unless there had been a design change....

Patrick

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:13 PM
fredjlord

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another 200-400 question

Patrick: Thank you for the quote from earlier. I had missed it.
Unfortunately, a 200-560mm f/4-5.6 lens would be more limiting for me than my current series I 500 f/4 with either one TC or the other attached. I had thought about selling the 500 and making the move. Now, probably not, due to the projected cost of the new lens. I will be asking CPS for the loan of one of them as soon as possible, however. Probably late next summer would be the earliest they'll be available. Time to start bugging them.
I'm sure someone will very quickly mount and test a non-Canon TC on the new lens soon after they are available as well. I don't have a non-Canon TC but if I get my hands on a loaner, I'll find one to try out ASAP.

Fred

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.