Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Album questions-newbie

nml
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Album questions-newbie

Hello All,

To begin, I'm not a wedding photographer, so maybe I'm in the wrong place/board...tell me and I'll leave (or go to wherever is suggested)..I have read the 'Wedding Resources' link, then tried to 'sign up' at the various 'high end' printing sites to get more information, but currently am unable to due to not having a true photography business...

So....

Is there a way a non-pro, paying customer can order/create/print a wedding album (for my own use...)?

If so, here are my initial wishes:

- to create a wedding album (from some of the files of my daughters's wedding)-- the photog gave me his raw files (5D2 files)..

- I plan to create the pages in PS and up load them for printing-- presently plan on creating a 12x12 album and think I would like a 'Hingeless, Flush mount, Folded style that when printed is Matte finish (not glossy)--my description of what I really want could easily be wrong (lack of education in this field)

I would love recommendations on how to start working on this undertaking..... I think I can create the album (or at least begin to create the layout), but don't know where to go to have it created/printed...

Many thanks...

Mick

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:02 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Album questions-newbie

Most true wedding album places will not permit non-professionals to create an account.

This is to protect the pro who is charging for his time and skill and therefore has to include atleast some markup in his albums.

For non-pro printing, my favorite albums are the ones at adoramapix.com They use real photo paper with a fold and are fairly nice.

You may be able to fraudulently pretend you are a pro, but I cannot advocate that. The pro albums are nice, but do not expect them to be cheap. Given that you decided to work on the album yourself instead of paying for the pro to do it, something like adoramapix might be more in your target budget.

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Album questions-newbie

"Pros" only at every album site I'm familiar with. Their definition of pro is that you have a photography company website operational at a private domain (i.e. MickPhotography.com).

Their (and all of our) primary concern is that brides and their families will setup an account and fumble through creating their own album, thereby depriving the album company and the photographer quite a substantial amount of revenue.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM
nml
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Album questions-newbie

Their (and all of our) primary concern is that brides and their families will setup an account and fumble through creating their own album, thereby depriving the album company and the photographer quite a substantial amount of revenue.

Fair enough...I understand.

Please understand in this particular situation, having a professional photog shoot the wedding and create art wasn't a possibility....Also, I can assure you, taking income from a working photographer was not (and is not) my goal..

Anyway, will continue to google, read and search... something will work out...

Mick

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Album questions-newbie

Most of these places will sell a book to the general public...

From the wedding resources thread:

Low Priced Alternatives: (last resort?)

Snapfsh - http://www.snapfish.com/
My Publisher - http://www.mypublisher.com/
Shared Ink - http://www.sharedink.com/
Blurb - http://www.blurb.com/
Shutterfly - http://www.shutterfly.com/
Lulu - http://www.lulu.com/

I don't think any of them offer the kind of book you're looking to make though. If you wanted a really nice book... you're probably better off going through your "professional" photographer.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM
nml
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Album questions-newbie

If you wanted a really nice book... you're probably better off going through your "professional" photographer.

Wish I had the option, though I guess I could search around to find a Pro that would take my project on... and guess if I can't find a place that will print my PS files I'll research that option..

Again, many thanks

Mick
(back to the Canon board)

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Album questions-newbie

Yeah, you just can't do what you're looking to do from a professional lab. There is a reason they are professional labs, they deal with professionals who know what they are doing and not all the random people who don't.

Your best bet is going to be one of the consumer-friendly places, or hire a photographer to create the album for you - whether that's the photographer who shot them or someone else (if for whatever reason the other photographer can not or will not).

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Album questions-newbie

Check out Diversified Lab in St. Louis. They have some decent album options, and from what I recall, you do not have to be a pro to order from them.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Album questions-newbie

First of all why can't the photographer make an album?
Is it just because you guys cannot afford his prices or does he not make albums?

It seems kind of funny to me that a "pro" would not be able to help you out and would just give you his raw files....

Either way you are going to be hard pressed to find any company that produce "professional" albums (or anything that the full time shooters here would use) that will help you out. Perhaps if you called one of them up and spoke to a manager they might give you some advice or even point you in the right direction.

The list that Rich gave you is great for cheap albums but those albums IMO are not going fulfill your expectations.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:04 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Album questions-newbie

Try these guys, I don't think that they deal exclusively with photographers...

http://www.modernalbumdesigns.com/index.html

http://www.modernalbumdesigns.com/album-corner.html

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:22 AM
nml
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Album questions-newbie

Check out Diversified Lab in St. Louis.

Thanks Joel... will check them out..

harldyboring:

First of all why can't the photographer make an album?

He could have when functional... not now

Is it just because you guys cannot afford his prices

smile

It seems kind of funny to me that a "pro" would not be able to help you out and would just give you his raw files....

Maybe small town NC, maybe a long term friendship, maybe previous help with significant 'life' events, maybe many other reasons that really aren't the issue in my question....basically, never mind...

You really think it's strange that somebody who would photograph a wedding, including portraits, video, multiple prints, etc (for free ) as a favor would have any problem letting go of a few (>1000) raw files (not to mention the 'edited' jpegs)?

Thanks to those who submitted replies for where I could upload PS files. I apologize if I stepped on any of the working professionals on the board....I'll be happy to request the post be withdrawn/removed..

Mick

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:38 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Album questions-newbie

You really think it's strange that somebody who would photograph a wedding, including portraits, video, multiple prints, etc (for free ) as a favor would have any problem letting go of a few (>1000) raw files (not to mention the 'edited' jpegs)?

No I really don't see that as that strange but I was just unclear of some of the circumstances that surround your situation. I meant no offense by what I said I just did not understand the situation and I appreciate your clearing it up.

Your post was quite acceptable and I am sure the "pros" here are far from offended ... no need for it to be removed. The question your presented was certainly legitimate we just sadly cannot do much to help you about it.

Really hope you guys get it figured out and get a hold of an album you like.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:54 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Album questions-newbie

hardlyboring wrote:

No I really don't see that as that strange but I was just unclear of some of the circumstances that surround your situation. I meant no offense by what I said I just did not understand the situation and I appreciate your clearing it up.

Your post was quite acceptable and I am sure the "pros" here are far
...Show more

Exactly, no offense from any of the real pro's I am sure (I am not a "real" pro).

OP, if you really want help, I am sure there are several here who would set you up with an album and do the layout for a moderate fee (as long as you can send over proof of copyright release from the photographer). Likely it would be out of your budget, but feel free to PM with what your max budget is and I can tell you if it is close enough to continue down this path.

I do not take paid work right now, so I cannot help you myself.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:55 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Album questions-newbie

hardlyboring wrote:
Either way you are going to be hard pressed to find any company that produce "professional" albums (or anything that the full time shooters here would use) that will help you out. Perhaps if you called one of them up and spoke to a manager they might give you some advice or even point you in the right direction.

The list that Rich gave you is great for cheap albums but those albums IMO are not going fulfill your expectations.

Agreed... like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:15 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Album questions-newbie

nml wrote:
If you wanted a really nice book... you're probably better off going through your "professional" photographer.

Wish I had the option, though I guess I could search around to find a Pro that would take my project on... and guess if I can't find a place that will print my PS files I'll research that option..

Again, many thanks

Mick
(back to the Canon board)

You could give that a try... but I see a potential problem.. likely the people you'll want to do the job (i.e. because of their talent and skill) will either want too much money or, even more likely, simply won't want to touch the job.

I'm currently trying to design an album using the photos from my own wedding... and it is so damn frustrating. It was not shot the way I'd shoot a wedding.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password