FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Surprise Proposals!

ghdarnell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Surprise Proposals!

I think surprise proposals are my favorite thing to photograph. Do you guys have any good ones? Post them!

Here is one from a few weekends ago:

http://jwdarnell.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v75/p1345684434-4.jpg

http://jwdarnell.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v2/p1345684450-5.jpg

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:24 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Surprise Proposals!

I did one indoors and wasn't thrilled with it. In less than idea light it's really tough since you want to be discreet and not ruin it. Outdoors... That I would like

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Surprise Proposals!

God Bless it, man. You beat me to it!

And yes, I LOVE shooting these. Just did this one last weekend.

Here's one or two:

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Surprise Proposals!

I don't really want to take this too far OT, and these are great by the way, but what is everyone charging for these?

The reason I ask is because I am basically giving this away at $250 (based on <1hr and online delivery of small images), and guys still don't come through after the quote. This has been the case with 2-3 I was inquired on this year. In the last case, I even broke down and offered the high-res on flash.

Are they just being cheap, or am I missing something?

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:24 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Surprise Proposals!

amonline I think they're just being cheap. The one I did I charged $350 for the session fee and then they ordered a book on top of that for $750. I wish I'd had nice light to work with as seen in the above examples, or that they'd also booked me for the wedding. That's the problem with shooting the proposal is that in this case at least, the fiance already knew who she wanted to hire for the wedding (they'd already started planning the wedding before he proposed, poor guy ). Ah well, it was worth my while for the proposal at least.

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Aron Goss
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Surprise Proposals!

Well captured Pretty.

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:28 PM
StephenAndrew
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Surprise Proposals!

I did one in Rockefeller Center just a couple weeks ago. It was a mob scene, but fun - I love shooting proposals

Dec 21, 2012 at 07:34 PM
head2heel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Surprise Proposals!

These are great! Been wanting to one for awhile.

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:07 PM
StephenAndrew
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Surprise Proposals!

Here's another I shot a couple months ago

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:04 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Surprise Proposals!

I haven't done any yet, but we were just talking about this earlier today. My hubby is going to attempt to film a few of them on video if we can get some leads

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Surprise Proposals!

Aron Goss wrote:
Well captured Pretty.

Must appreciated it. It was a total blast to see her reaction when she realized he was proposing.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:53 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Surprise Proposals!

I don't really dare to do these, I had one or perhaps two that I did a while back but they didn't turn out very well. Too many things can go wrong (especially in crowded areas like most of Vegas). People can get in the way, local security can turn away the photographer, etc...

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:04 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Surprise Proposals!

I had one at the end of a wedding this summer. Luckily the B&G warned me of it ahead of time so I was ready

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g417/mccallmedia1/Jeremie_Katie_Wedding-2093.jpg

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Surprise Proposals!

form wrote:
I don't really dare to do these, I had one or perhaps two that I did a while back but they didn't turn out very well. Too many things can go wrong (especially in crowded areas like most of Vegas). People can get in the way, local security can turn away the photographer, etc...

I kept hearing voices at mine. It was in a Christmas tree farm and I thought I was going nuts. But it just ended up being a bunch of random families. I almost had to shoo one family away from the tree that was decorated with "Marry me?". I also couldn't tell if it was the bride and groom's voices I was hearing, or other families' voices.

I'd be afraid to do one in a busy place like Vegas, so I can totally understand. I'd hate for someone to pay me and then turn around and say, "Listen. You picked the spot, not me. And the security guard kicked me out, after 1,000 drunk gamblers walked in front of my camera." Scary, indeed.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:18 AM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Surprise Proposals!

We have two photographers when we do these too, so we can get it from an additional angle, plus in case people walk in front of one of us, etc. Sometimes we even have 3 people if we know it's going to be crowded.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.