New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

paulmartinmd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

Model Joyce D

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmartinmd/8280163825/]
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8356/8280163825_24bbc80598_c.jpg
[/url]
jd5 s by paulmartinmd, on Flickr

comments and critiques are welcome..

thanks for viewing..

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:10 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

I am just learning critique skills so here goes fwiw. Nice looking model that appears tense or scared based on facial expression and white knuckles. Just my nit, I wish the left shoulder and right hand were not cut off, probably just framing and not possible to fix in post unless it was an intentional crop. Hot spots show on the shoulders and the face looks a little washed out. I would have preferred a solid,darker background instead of the paneling.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

There is a whole lot wrong with this shot, the questionable age of this young lass being the first and foremost of my critique, and I will leave it at that.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

Lee Wiren wrote:
There is a whole lot wrong with this shot, the questionable age of this young lass being the first and foremost of my critique, and I will leave it at that.

How is the age of the model any of your problem?

YOUR standards for how old a model has to be to have her picture taken isn't the issue here. It's a matter between the photographer and the model. Hardly any of your business.

She may be 20, or she may be 11. There are no problems with taking a picture of a lass at either age.

It's hardly your job to challenge the photographer to defend what he posted. Hope he has the good sense to ignore your attempt to censor his work.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:40 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

I agree on the points by wobble. Mainly the cut off limbs and the hot spots. There's a little overexposure on the face that is turning the skin white in places.

A little less DOF would help make the background less sharp.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Achilles2010
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

This is just an opinion not a critique...
I agree with Wobble on technical aspect and can understand where is Lee coming from. Lets just keep in mind that models can be vary in their looks. You might photograph 40 years old woman who will be looking 20-ish or 25 years old girl who looks like teenager.
Here is my personal perception of this particular image. Technically photographer could have done much better job. I took my time to flip through his work on Flikr and can tell that he has some very noteworthy work done in the past and hopefully in future. Model is lovely young girl who is very uncomfortable posing the way she does. She looks scared and uncertain of outcome. Composition in whole is not pleasant. I can see this photo as an attempt to achieve certain look, but I wouldn't keep it. I doubt that model herself going to like it.

All above said with respect to everyone's opinion.

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 06:26 AM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:57 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

How is the age of the model any of your problem?

YOUR standards for how old a model has to be to have her picture taken isn't the issue here. It's a matter between the photographer and the model. Hardly any of your business.

She may be 20, or she may be 11. There are no problems with taking a picture of a lass at either age.

It's hardly your job to challenge the photographer to defend what he posted. Hope he has the good sense to ignore your attempt to censor his work.

I am not so much concerned for the OP to take photo's of anybody of any age... I guess (and this is MY opinion only, however much you may think it stinks - it's just that, my opinion) but more of the style and pose of a person that appears to be underage. Certainly, she may be over 18, all fine and good - but if it were me (and I may be an outcast here on my thinking), if I were to post a shot of a gal who looks quite so young, I would note that the model is indeed over 18 so that it doesn't seem like I took an uncomfortable looking, risque shot of a person who looks like they could be underage. So, castigate me if you will, it just appears to be a shot of an uncomfortable, under-age girl who isn't sure she should be getting this photo done and if the OP stated that the person was indeed over 18, then I would not have made my statement.

For my other critique, hot spots, the cut off right hand.. the tilt of the photo helps add to the appearance that she is falling off the chair.... this doesn't do it for me. Maybe that's the look the OP was going for... I too looked at his other work and this by far is not his best in my opinion...

I have the right to me opinion Jim, disagree with me as you will, it's the way I felt upon first impression and I have the right to express that.... if the OP doesn't want that kind of critique for improvement of his images, then post elsewhere, I won't sugarcoat my critique in fear of offending anybody.

Cheers and happy holidays.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:06 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

IF (and I mean IF) she were underage, then I would completely AGREE that the pose is too provocative (unzipped pants showing lacy panties) and inappropriate. Photos like this are not just "having a picture taken" if a minor is involved.

I also thought the moment I saw it that she appeared to be 16 yrs old at best. To me, Lee was not at all out of line to question the age of the model.

Regarding the photo - it's just not good. Over exposed, awkward pose, bad cropping, distracting setting, and too overt in its attempt to be sexy.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:01 PM
Karlchen
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

I agree with Lee Wiren and others who seem uncomfortable with this girl's age. In some jurisdictions this photo might be construed as a form of child exploitation and could create serious legal challenges for those who post it or allow it to be posted. I am surprised to see it here.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:44 AM
paulmartinmd
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

thanks guys, I will take note of all the critiques/comments.

It really helps when someone sees what I don't usually notice in a photo, helps improve my work in the future.

Though I must say that Joyce is a 21year old graduating student, she's old enough but looks young.

And I can say that she is comfortable during the shoot but I somehow had this awkward shot, my bad actually.

here's another photo, in monochrome..

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmartinmd/8281217030/]
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8281217030_68c0a4e4da_c.jpg
[/url]
jd6 s by paulmartinmd, on Flickr

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:22 PM
paulmartinmd
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

Happy Holidays Guys... I am learning a lot from this site..

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Karlchen
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

Well, if she is over 21, she can do as she pleases, although I can’t say that I understand it. Thanks, though, for the reassurance.

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:06 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but the lighting isn't very good. Her face is way too hot, you have a bad nose shadow on her right cheek and also another weird shadow from her hair under her chin and neck. I don't know if she has a scar or something but there's something weird going on off the right corner of her mouth.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM
paulmartinmd
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

thanks guys..

happy holidays..

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:22 AM
fstop212
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

The first shot, I agree, does have it's flaws and they have been noted. so I won't repeat them. The second shot is stunning.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:02 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

#2 for the win

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:13 AM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

Dear lord! First the nsfw police, and now we have the she looks like a minor, sorta, coulda maybe police? I'm really grumpy today but still you know.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:29 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

2nd shot is my pick out of the 2, thanks for sharing

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:44 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

trevanian wrote:
Dear lord! First the nsfw police, and now we have the she looks like a minor, sorta, coulda maybe police? I'm really grumpy today but still you know.

Good point. Always better to look the other way and stay mum when there is a potentially inappropriate issue involving children.

To the OP - thanks for clarifying and understanding the issue that was raised. She is unusually young looking for her age and when it comes to this type of photography, some people can understandably feel cautious.

Nice job on second posted photo.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM
jrs5fg
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pink... (a bit NSWF) ;)

The flaws of the first aren't very noticeable-- the shadows aren't that distracting, really.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.