Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

LPortugalPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Hi all,

This may be an odd place to post this but I couldn't find a better forum. Anyway, currently I am a portrait photographer. I work with babies, maternity, and engagement. I am just starting to get into wedding photography. I am second shooting etc. Just learning for now (and probably for at least the next year since weddings are so much different than normal portrait photography). Anyway though, I have a nice logo that a designer made for me (the tree piece at least) and I am just trying to decide if I should change it to be more versatile. I have some friends that just love it and if I was planning on just doing portrait work (kids, babies, and families) forever, I think the logo would be fine. I just wanted to get some opinions of this logo in the sense of being a "wedding photographer". Do you like it? Does it seem professional? I am basically just wanting an objective opinion. I just want to prevent myself from having to go through a logo redesign down the road.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help.

Lindsey

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Bless your heart. I'm afraid my reaction is overwhelmingly negative, so please read this as though I'm saying it in a pleasant, gentle tone of voice, not a critical one, so that it doesn't seem unduly harsh.

There's a lot going on. Actually, that in itself is a problem -- the logo is so busy the eye doesn't know where to look. And the dimensions of the logo don't provide an obvious starting point.

Design element issues:
The flowers and dotted lines will be impossible to make out when you present this at a normal (small) logo size. The gradients will not reproduce well at small sizes or when using the logo as a solid color (e.g., all black or all white, as in a common watermark). The design looks like the kind of design someone fairly new to logo design might produce, having recently learned several Illustrator tools.

Since you seem to be a people photographer, not a macro photographer, this design element doesn't communicate any meaningful concept about your photography to me. Of course, that's true of probably 90% of photographers' logos, but that's often because the designers lacked imagination or understanding of the photographer's business and how to represent it. Still, the very intricacy of this thing implies care and thought, so I find myself wondering what it means.

Typographical issues:
I congratulate you for having the discipline to stick to one font. I'm sorry I have to follow that up with the observation that this one does not convey a professional image. In particular, the all-caps lettering of "PHOTOGRAPHY" has an awkward feel. Partly this is related to its placement: it looks a bit orphaned down there: centered, spaced away from everything else, smaller but not obviously deliberately smaller. But mainly it's the shape of several of the letters, especially the "T".

I'd definitely be on the lookout for a better font. Whether you stick with this one or choose another, consider making "photography" lower case and much smaller, and maybe nudge it way up under the first part of your last name, before the descender of the "g" in your name. Or any number of other places, but not centered-bottom. Or just eliminate it altogether.

There's more to discuss if you plan to keep this as a starting point, but to answer your question, no, I don't think it seems professional; it seems like a new photographer's first logo designed by herself or a friend or a 99 designs spec designer. You're smart to recognize the risk of accepting your friends' praises at face value. Now you have a contrasting opinion.

I'll say one more thing: it's really hard for photographers to develop good logos until they've been in business (not just in hobby-activity, but in actual, tax-paying, profit-generating business) for a couple of years. During that early phase, most photographers don't really know who they are as photographers, much less as business people. We usually spend some time imitating others before we start distinguishing ourselves. It's when we begin to forge our own distinctions and exclusive purpose that logo design becomes more important, and in certain important ways, easier.

So maybe don't sweat it for a year, and just either use your name in a simple configuration, or even use this thing, knowing you'll figure out how you should change it later, when you know what your logo should say about you beyond the generic "I want you to see me as a professional."

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:19 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

- Font does not fit the artwork
- Artwork will not scale well or overlay as a watermark well

Think simple, and spend a bit more time finding a font that fits your style as much as I am sure you feel the flowers do. For the artwork, something closer to a single flower (or just a few) might be a good thing to consider.

</ advice coming from a photo noob with no logo>

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:43 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

If you showed your logo without text to someone on the street and offered a million dollars if they could guess what you did as a career you would safely be keeping your money but they would still have no idea what you do.

Some companies can get away with having a logo that is not immediately obvious. Companies with millions of dollars to spend on advertising.

As a small business operator you don't have that luxury.

Your logo should impress something about you on the mind of the viewer, send a clear message. I personally believe showing that you're a photographer should be one of those initial impressions.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:36 PM
nikonftw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Ian that was super generous of you, hopefully she'll appreciate it.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:04 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Marcus Watts wrote:
I personally believe showing that you're a photographer should be one of those initial impressions.

How 'bout lens aperture blades?

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

D. Diggler wrote:

That's a great idea. I'v-, I mean no one's ever done that before...

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

lol

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

I agree that the typography does not fit. Although the larger issue at hand is that your "logo" really has nothing to do with anything.
It is not your "brand"... it is just part of it. A small part.

In order to judge the logo we need to see work, we need to know your goals as a business, we need to know basically everything about you and your business.
Why would someone want to book you? Once we know that then we can give good criticism on the logo for your brand.
At this point I really have no idea what your brand is so I cannot make a judgement of the logo that will mean anything beyond simple stuff like "I don't care for the typography".

What else can you offer us?

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:47 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

D. Diggler wrote:

Lol

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Actually your logo is a huge part of your brand or should be and as one of the first things people get to see does do some heavy lifting in the early stages of creating an initial impression.

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:10 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

hardlyboring wrote:
I agree that the typography does not fit. Although the larger issue at hand is that your "logo" really has nothing to do with anything.
It is not your "brand"... it is just part of it. A small part.

In order to judge the logo we need to see work, we need to know your goals as a business, we need to know basically everything about you and your business.
Why would someone want to book you? Once we know that then we can give good criticism on the logo for your brand.
At this point I really have no idea
...Show more

Agree 100% with Doug.... I'd even go so far as to say that asking our opinion is pretty much irrelevant. Your logo should be designed to identify your brand... your brand is determined by the things and ideas that most important to you.... what you offer that is unique and available only to you. Asking someone else to design your logo is like saying... "tell me what's important to me."

If this is your first attempt at creating a logo because you're just starting this aspect of your business, my advice would be to go with something simple for now.... just to get yourself going. Chances are, your ideas about what is important to you and what you're trying to convey will change as you learn more and more about this aspect of the business... I think its important to gain a little experience and perspective before you waste time and money designing something that is likely to change.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

A couple of things.

1) There's plenty of value asking people who don't know you or your work about a draft logo. Prospective clients often see our logos before they start evaluating our work. The question about whether the logo conveys a "professional" or "amateur" impression is absolutely a good question to ask, particularly of people who actually haven't seen the associated work.

I agree with Doug's opening assertion -- that the logo is merely a reflection of the brand. But it's not true that we need to see work to render a judgment about the logo. Our first impression is not the end of the discussion by any stretch, but there's nothing wrong with the OP's opening question. Indeed, it's probably the only question she can really ask right now.

2) A logo can convey meaningful information about the nature of the owner's work. But that's only really possible after the owner has meaningful information to convey that will distinguish him or her from other players. The OP's comments tell me she doesn't have a clear brand message in her head beyond the most basic "I want you to see me as a professional, generally speaking" concept. In all likelihood, it will be a while before the OP has a distinct identity sorted out in her own head, and that's when the logo exercise will be more constructive.

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:20 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Ya I agree with Rich. You will want to start with something really simple because I can say with 99% certainty that you will change things sooo many times before you settle into something for the long run.
Your whole business evolves. Your pictures improve, your cliental changes, your website changes, you charge more and more, and you revamp your brand. All of those things will lead to change of the "aesthetics" of your brand like your logo, albums, packaging, etc.

Don't worry about locking yourself into a logo right away because it will change quickly. We waited years before we had even an inkling of what we wanted our logo to be and then we contracted a great graphic designer who specialized in the visual side of branding to help us develop things.

Once you get to that stage in the "logo" game it becomes more about psychological things like typography, font size, spacing, wording, paper, print methods, etc.

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:38 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

I respectfully disagree.

Get a decent logo and it should serve you forever. If a logo is jst a small part of your brand why have one at all? I don't think most small businesses know the full purpose of having one.

I think people read far too much into the connection your logo has to have to your work. Although i recognize the importance of some congruency remember that 99% of all wedding photography is the same.

That is most photographers are repeating work you can see on every website and blog across the world yet most still talk of their style as if they are doing something unique.

Not to be truculent but i would love to see some examples of logos that reflect the particular style of a photographer. Something that could not be exchanged with a thousand other decent logos.

My advice, get something that is decent, something that tells people what you do as soon as they look at it and if possible something unique.

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:32 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Marcus Watts wrote:
something that tells people what you do as soon as they look at it

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:41 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

D. Diggler wrote:
http://www.bement.k12.il.us/gms_home/PTA/camera%20clip%20art.gif

Two out of three ain't bad but one out of three not so good

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:09 AM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

Wow... I guess I forgot to check the box to email me "replies". Thank you all for the responses! Ian, thank you so much for your critique. I definitely see where you are coming from. I didn't design this logo but my friend did and I agree it is too detailed and the typography isn't quite "right". I think I am going to go with something simple for now.

I appreciate all your feedback!!

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Marici Photo
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Logo Design Help for Wedding Photographer

In addition to what everyone said...I'm not sure how far along you are in your business but I can tell you from my experience that my logo has changed over the years just as my work has.

The logo should convey your style, and as that changes - so will the logo.

Also - remember the more complicated you make it, the harder is it to replicate. ( Thinking long term)

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password