Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help - 1st Under The Light's Shoot

PennsyBill
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help - 1st Under The Light's Shoot

I've been ask to shoot a high-school soccer game under-the-light's & when ask was told I couldn't put a flash on my mono-pod so it's available light only.

The good news is the location is a very up-scale high school with superb athletic facilities so I expect the lights will be similar to what you'd find at a college stadium.

The fields have an artificial surface - green and a little higher than you find on a baseball field but not as high as some other artifical surfaces I've seen on soccer pitches.

I'll be using my D3s and Nikon 70-200 mm f2.8 VRII (and will also take along my 200-400 mm f4 VR) any suggestions as a starting place for ISO, shutter speed and especially white balance -- I will be shooting in jpeg.

Appreciate the help,

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help - 1st Under The Light's Shoot

As with so many things, you aren't going to be able to figure this out definitively until you get there. Starting point? ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/500. Give it a try and see how it looks. Another approach is to find something neutral on the field of play and spot-meter off of it in AV mode at f/2.8 and your ISO set at 3200. See what you get.

As for WB, if the light is consistent, you could try a custom WB, but so often the color of the light varies, in which case you try to find a Kelvin temp. that is an average or you rely on AWB. If there are any newspaper shooters there, ask them how they handle WB. (It can be helpful to talk with someone who has shot often at a particular venue to learn about some of the idiosyncrasies of the light, and at a high school field, a newspaper photographer is your most likely frequent shooter.)

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help - 1st Under The Light's Shoot

As good as college stadium? There is a high school here that gives me ISO 1600 and the Pac-12 arena gives me ISO 2000-2500. No one can answer this question unless they have shot there. Every gym is different. Best thing, custom WB, and a ISO to keep your shutter at a minimum 1/640th.

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:06 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help - 1st Under The Light's Shoot

William....I think Russ gave you a good starting point. One thing to consider is if there are other games being played before the one you will be shooting....maybe stop by and check things out and see what settings you can work with. You can probably also expect to have some light drop off at the ends of the field (goal areas).

Good Luck and post some pics afterwards.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help - 1st Under The Light's Shoot

As it turned out I didn't get a chance to shoot the game and it's to bad as the reports I've heard it was a classic with the first score with just over a minute to play - and then the tieing score with less than 5 seconds.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password