Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Copyright Infringment

okephoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Copyright Infringment

I just posted a piece on my blog about copyright infringement after finding over 100 photos of mine being used illegally.

http://www.kevinokephotography.com/photography-the-internet-and-copyright-infringement/

I'm sure others are having these issues as well, what are your stories and how have you handled it?

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:26 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Copyright Infringment

When my daughter brought home last year's yearbook this fall, I was surprised to find 40+ sports pictures, snagged directly from my Zenfolio website, with my watermark on them had made the grade....without my permission. I know everyone on here says it's a no-no to give your pics away, but I would have gladly let the yearbook kids use them had they just asked. I went to the principal and she was dumbfounded and disgusted. My daughter got a free yearbook and I was asked to come talk to this year's class about copyright and photography. I also received a forced apology letter from the previous teacher who had allowed this to happen. She still gives me dirty looks when she sees me!

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:34 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Copyright Infringment

If you had taken the time to register your copyright you would be a very rich man as soon a your lawyer finished with the people who used your photos.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

okephoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Copyright Infringment

I'm certainly going to be invoicing the culprits. Perhaps a wall of shame on my blog would be effective, don't want to get sued myself however!

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Copyright Infringment

First you should send a letter of inquiry, at this point you have no idea how your images have been used. Have they been used in print? Are there web sites you don't know about? How can you invoice without knowing the extent of the damages done to you? Reading your post again perhaps you should at least consult a lawyer. Would you hire a lawyer to take your wedding photos? I think not, being a photographer you are not the best person to handle legal issues.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Copyright Infringment

I let my school use my photos for free because there is something to gain for all by doing so; the school has quality imagery, and I am fostering goodwill and ensuring I am less dispensable. That reminds me; I must remember to draft some bilingual model releases...

TWIP often has information about copyright and the need to register your images. Registering must be done within 90 days of capture and you can create a ZIP file of however many images you'd like to register (from the previous 90 days shooting) and send them off with payment.

Here: http://www.thisweekinphoto.com/2012/twip-278-the-photographers-survival-manual/

WAYCOOL wrote:
Reading your post again perhaps you should at least consult a lawyer.

I wouldn't, but that's just me.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password