Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

Tar Belly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

First off, I am new here, just found this site. I need help from the pros selecting a new camera setup. I am currently shooting with a Canon 40D and a 100-400. Its a great setup for hunting and dog photos, but I think its time for me to take the next step. My primary use would be waterfowl and BIF photos. I'm looking at the 1D Mark IV and the 500mm, but haven't ruled out the 600mm. Any thoughts from those using the big lenses?

Thanks

Edited on Dec 21, 2012 at 02:08 AM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:05 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #2 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

7d. It's great for reach situations. Money saved can be used to buy strips of Detroit suburbia.

But if you have money burning your wallet, go the whole 9 yards and get a 1d4!

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

Welcome to the FM forums, Tar Belly (your first post). I too have the fabulous 100-400, but I will have to leave the guys with the really expensive toys who dominate these forums to advise on high powered telephoto lenses: they have the experience.

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:24 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

Wecome too, Zach. Great shots! Thank you.
M Lucca imo is right. If you want to stay cropped, 7D/1D IV would imo be a great cameras for your needs/expectations. Concerning lenses I am with Monito. 100-400 is the longest lens I ever used.

Regulary I shoot between 24 and 200mm.

Ralph

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

Hi Tar Belly (Zach),

Welcome to FM.

I suggest you get a 1DIV and 500/4L IS, plus the EF Extenders 1.4x III and 2x III. I think that would be an excellent 'entry level' super-telephoto kit. OTOH, if your budget has the room, a 1DX, 600/4L IS II and the extenders would be really sweet.

BTW, I have the 500/4L IS, extenders, 1DX and 1DIV (plus 100-400L and a few other lenses). I few years ago, I sold a 7D and 1DIII to get the 1DIV. I was very pleased with the results. One less camera, but overall a better solution. This past year, I sold a 1DsIII and a ton of other stuff to get a 1DX. I only hope my 1DIV holds its value through the spring, when I plan to get a second 1DX.

Cheers, Jim

P.S. very nice sample photos.

Dec 20, 2012 at 09:39 PM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #6 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

I have a 1D3 and 500/4 IS. I just got rid of my 7D because although I get "more pixels per duck" I have found the image quality to be noticeably behind that of the 1D series cameras. A 1D4 would be a great step up from the 40D.

If you find your 100-400 gives you enough reach, then the 500/4 would be a great lens. I am often wanting more focal length, however, and if you are too then I'd suggest the 600/4 IS.

Dec 21, 2012 at 01:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tar Belly

p.1 #7 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

jaredmizanin wrote:
I have a 1D3 and 500/4 IS. I just got rid of my 7D because although I get "more pixels per duck" I have found the image quality to be noticeably behind that of the 1D series cameras. A 1D4 would be a great step up from the 40D.

If you find your 100-400 gives you enough reach, then the 500/4 would be a great lens. I am often wanting more focal length, however, and if you are too then I'd suggest the 600/4 IS.

The two main "complaints" I have with my photos is too much noise when cropping, and not enough reach. That being said maybe I should look harder at the 600/4 IS.

I should have mentioned before that I do have a 1.4x II extender, but that does me little good with the 100-400.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:13 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #8 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

Tar Belly wrote:
First off, I am new here,

GBR!

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:02 AM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #9 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

The 1D4 will improve in the noise department, no doubt! If weight and bulk isn't an issue, the 600/4 > 500/4.

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:17 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #10 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

You might have this question back to front......surely the approach is that when someone is failing to achieve something and it is down to technical limitations....one asks what bit of equipment can overcome that limitation?

If there is something out there that solves the problem......then that is your 'upgrade'.

I can imagine a total novice asking for advice on what is needed...for example...to take up landscape photography.....or someone changing systems...but just 'time to upgrade'? I tend to have that general feeling when I have money burning a hole in my pocket...for me, not the most sensible time to think about anything new....

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #11 · Time to Upgrade My Gear - What Should I get?

A friend of mine shoots with a 1DmkIV and a 500mm for wildlife and he loves the combination; the images that the setup produces are beautiful, of course the photographer plays a big part too and judging by your two pics you should be able to handle that gear

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password